Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would you ask a Radio PD/MD?

Don't get me wrong. I actually agree with you, mostly. The thing is, in reading the posts on Craig's thread - hell, the thread itself is a big dogpile-on-radio as a whole, based on a single memo from a station whose ratings are slipping. But, rather than just engage in another pointless bitch-fest, I thought it was worth examining this aspect of the musical landscape again - and to actually present these ideas to people who might give them a listen & who are in a position to do something about it, even.

Where are the visionaries? Good question. But isn't it also valid to ask "Where is your vision?" If someone were to consider going into the radio business today & came upon Craig's thread, would they come away with ideas or just get discouraged?

I know you listen to Little Steven's show - I did too. (Don't think it is on here...) Good stuff - where would it be if Little Steven said "Ahh, fuck radio, there's nothing worth anything there!"

I assume you were referring to the Dunham's show on the former Z93, also? That (the local showcase) is a great example of a way that local radio (corporate or not) can make a difference in what they present to the community.

If more people were active as you are - supporting those few nuggets of worth - then maybe the message would start to sink in. (The "Dave" formats are evidence that, even if they don't get it fully, they are not oblivious to the idea that people might be interested in more than 1 kind of music.)

Unfortunately, it seems that very few people are interested in my offer to ask any questions, and would rather just tear down the mythical monolith "radio"...and honestly, I find that sad. I don't pretend to have all the answers - am I alone in that? Y'all have it all figured out?

I guess the overall point is that we shouldn't be so quick to write off institutions - or people - with big, blanket statements. The comment about being musical snobs was tongue-in-cheek, but I also can't help but notice the arrogant tone of some of the posts - I've said the same things many times myself, but I'm just not comfortable with it anymore.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived