Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Replacement

I get alot of sound replacement jobs (that is replacing, or adding drum samples to live recorded drum parts).

The way i go about this, is i use a Trigger program, along with Mach 5 as my sampler, to lay down the drum samples in their approximate place (where the drum hits). I then bounce the midi into audio. Unfortunately, as most of you know, this is hardly accurate, so after i do that, i have to go in and manually cut up each (sample), and line it up exactly with the origional audio track.

It takes me approximately 3-4 hours to finish the drums for a song, which is usually kick, snare, and a couple of toms.

I was just wondering if there are any programs, ideas, tips, or suggestions from anyone that might help me speed up the process?

lavi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Cool Edit (Adobe Audition) could trigger a track by using another one. I have Audition, but have never tried it. I'm going through the manual, now. Anyone else done this?

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

well, i already use a midi triggering program. The thing is, midi is not that accurate, so it triggers the samples somewhat slopy. Although, cool edit might be a better program for triggering, i'll check it out.

Well... I can't figure it out. I will need to get off the forums and do some things around the house & for a customer. Maybe, I'll be able to check into it more, tonight.

I understand the *sloppiness* issue. If the gate isn't clean, the trigger point will not be accurate. Audition would need (or option) to bounce to a new track.

I was in a position to need to do this a few years ago. I was sure it was possible. But, the drummer just re-tracked his part, which was preferred by all, at the time. That would have been awkward if I spent a lot of time trying something that couldn't be done.

I'll pull some stuff up and work with it,later... if someone doesn't chime in saying it won't work, or with a better solution.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I think the triggering part of this process, is not the problem. I mean, it creates a problem, because it triggers the samples sloppily, but other than that, it's the only 'automated' part of sound replacement, for me.

The most time consuming part is cutting up the audio track and moving each region to align to the origional track. Before doing sound replacing, i never realized how many snare hits there are in a song. whew.

Originally posted by waveyl:

I was just wondering if there are any programs, ideas, tips, or suggestions from anyone that might help me speed up the process?

Yes there is.You simply cannot do without this cross platform plugin called Drumagog which is a must for your needs.Here's a link www.drumagog.com/default.asp
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by waveyl:

i'll check out the demo.

I'm not sure what version the demo is but 4.02 has just been released,here's some info
KVR-VST:Drumagog version 4.0.2 is now available.

Changes in v4.0.2:

Fixed: Issue with missed triggers when using auto-align and advanced triggering mode.

Fixed: Various unlocking issues.

"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived