Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A thought for the day... Bruce, you might dig this...

"The man that hath no music in himself,

Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,

Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;

The motions of his spirit are dull as night

And his affections dark as Erebus.

Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music."

William Shakespeare

---From The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-86)

Have a nice day. :wave:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a time when music was considered the highest of the arts; from music harmonia, to the music of the spheres.

Willie Shakespeare knew what he was talking about.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Take a look at this.....

"We have also Soundhouses, where we practise and demonstrate all sounds, and their generations. We have harmonies which you have not, of quarter sounds, and lesser slides of sounds. Diverse instruments of music likewise to you unknown, some sweeter than any you have; together with bells and rings that are dainty and sweet. We represent small sounds as great and deep; likewise great sounds as extenuate and sharp; we make diverse tremblings and warblings of sounds, which in their original are entire. We represent and imitate all articulate sounds and letters, and the voices and notes of beasts and birds. We have certain helps which set to the ear do further the hearing greatly.

We have also diverse, strange and artificial echos, reflecting the voice many times...and some that give back the voice louder than it came... We have also the means to convey sounds in trunks and pipes, in strange lines and distances."

Its a quotation from Sir Francis BaconsNew Atlantis . He wrote and published this work in 1624. TheNew Atlantis was an original work predicting what life would be like in a Utopian world of the future.

I think that we, in the age of modern music making, have a tendency to think that we, and we alone, are responsible for the original thought and the creation of modern music.

I think this fascinating little quote shows both how much music has developed over the past 370 years and perhaps more interestingly, how little.

Bruce Swedien

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Music hath charms to soothe the wild beast.

I can verify this, as most of the creatures that I play for are not human creatures these days...

If music be the food of love, play on!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

You may have heard this already, but there's a theory that's bounced around for eons that Sir Francis Bacon actually wrote Shakespeare's plays.

web page

In either case, I have that very same quote on the CD booklet of my first release, "In Strange Lines and Distances" (the title taken from the last few words of the Bacon quote).

Archived