Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Selling my house...Moving To Florida

My wife and I are considering moving to Florida this year and would like some recommendations on where to live. We're both registered nurses/nurse practitioners so i'm confident that landing a job there won't be a problem. Sad to say that taxes here in Long Island is just ridiculously high and a lot of people had advised us to sell our house now while the market is hot. We are thinking of Florida because my wife has family in Orlando and my brother's in Tampa. So if anyone has any ideas of a nice, diverse, Florida town/city/community great for raising a family and starting over, please share your thoughts. We're going there in 2 weeks to scout and look around and start house hunting. Any info is much appreciated!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not the guy who can tell you from firsthand experience.

But everyone I talk to says the suburbs of Orlando are wonderful. Far enough away from the theme parks to be sedate, close enough to enjoy.

We spent some time in Melbourne, on the east coast (1 hour drive from Disney.) and it was nice. Kinda quiet, though.

I have friends who love the redneck riviera. That'd be the Florida panhandle and parts of Alabama, etc. on the Gulf of Mexico.

My parents live in west Boca Raton, just north of Ft. Lauderdale and south of West Palm Beach. If you want to be near Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, it's home to beautiful, gated communities and LOTS of hospitals in need of nurses. I know because my cousin is a nurse, originally from Troy, NY. She signed on with a contract service. They send her pretty much wherever she wants to live for half a year or more. Not like I have to tell you, but there's such a shortage of nurses they can place her almost anywhere in the U.S. She's been all over the place, but in part because of the weather and part because she gets along well with my parents, she's been placed in their area several times and always says they need more nurses there.

If you're interested in that area, PM or email me and I'll contact her for information on which hospitals she liked/disliked and why.

Good luck!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Downtown Orlando is nice,Lake Eola area is my favorite..Delaney Park/Thornton Park is very nice and a Hospital or two are within walking distance!The burbs are ok but I4 traffic is HELL!Also the burbs have sameness to them that is like liveing on a army base to me{I'm originaly from Boston} they don't have any personality..Orlando is nicer than Tampa as far as "citys" go.Everything here is new for the most part..Everything here as far as houseing goes is cheaper than up north,but the prices are climbing,so get 'em now before they start to match..If you do decide to go for the burbs the look to the north of Orlando places like Deltona,Deland and Sandford..Good luck and welcome to the heat LOL

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

In the Orlando area Windermere is worth a look. Small quaint community bordered by lakes.

In the Tampa Bay area a little 'out-of-the-way' gulfside community called Crystal Beach is quite nice. Great places and worth a look.

Good luck in your search.

Gary Garritan

Also, consider North Florida. Beautiful beaches, lots of Golf Courses (in case you play ;) ), and not all of the problems of central/south Florida...albeit still close enough to Orlando. Check out areas around Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Fernandina, etc. Also...the Pan Handle is pretty nice in some areas (ask Bill Roberts), but still much storm damage. We would love the company...and won't charge you any state income tax!

Barry

Sad to say that taxes here in Long Island is just ridiculously high and a lot of people had advised us to sell our house now while the market is hot.
I feel for you. We`re in Brooklyn and buying a 1 family house in a decent area starts at $600,000. Its insane and thats not even counting taxes. The market is slowing down and may even come down a bit in the next year or two but it will not be dramatic unless there is some major shift in the real estate industry which I do not foresee.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

If you're interested in that area, PM or email me and I'll contact her for information on which hospitals she liked/disliked and why.

Good luck!

Neil, thank you so much for the offer. That kind of information would be very helpful to us!

Originally posted by dondottcomm:

Orlando is nicer than Tampa as far as "citys" go.Everything here is new for the most part..Everything here as far as houseing goes is cheaper than up north,but the prices are climbing,so get 'em now before they start to match..If you do decide to go for the burbs the look to the north of Orlando places like Deltona,Deland and Sandford..Good luck and welcome to the heat LOL

Don, will definitely check out the Orlando area although we're leaning more towards the Tampa area. I love the heat! :) That's one of the reasons why we're moving anyway. After I slipped in the snow and fractured my elbow last December, I swore i'd never want to see that white stuff again! :D

Originally posted by Garritan:

In the Orlando area Windermere is worth a look. Small quaint community bordered by lakes.

In the Tampa Bay area a little 'out-of-the-way' gulfside community called Crystal Beach is quite nice. Great places and worth a look.

Good luck in your search.

Gary Garritan

Gary, nice to meet you here in Craig's forum (I frequent your GPO forum and had contributed to the GPO Christmas CD under my username BSNY). A friend of mine had mentioned Crystal Beach. Will definitely check it out.

Originally posted by BLAblablah:

We would love the company...and won't charge you any state income tax!

Barry

Barry, thank you for the warm welcome. Would love to meet you guys once I get settled.

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:

Sad to say that taxes here in Long Island is just ridiculously high and a lot of people had advised us to sell our house now while the market is hot.
I feel for you. We`re in Brooklyn and buying a 1 family house in a decent area starts at $600,000. Its insane and thats not even counting taxes. The market is slowing down and may even come down a bit in the next year or two but it will not be dramatic unless there is some major shift in the real estate industry which I do not foresee.
Ernest, It's true, the comparable houses around my area starts at that same amount. Just sat down with my real estate agent yesterday and my house will be listed slightly higher than that. I've been living here almost 8 years now and I got my house for half of that price. So my instinct is to sell it now so we'll have enough gain to start anew.

Thanks guys...I appreciate the suggestions! Keep it coming!

Archived