Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hanging out with George Clinton tonight

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a leak next to him at NAMM once!

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Cool for you, ryst!

I've worked crew for a P-Funk show, but I've never "hung" with the man. Certainly not hung out like Mike did! :eek:

I don't smoke, let alone smoke weed, so I don't think there would be much point in my spending any time with George after a concert. ;)

Man that concert stunk to high heaven.. and I'm not talking about the music or sound quality... Let's just say there were no ovens in the audience but there were a lot of people getting baked!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by gearmike:

I took a leak next to him at NAMM once!

So you have hung with him!! :D

Some very funky stuff. He was great. Here is what he said to me. "I always like to have white engineer on the session to make sure the shit work." That was after I synced up his Mac or Atari to the tape recorder with a Garfield Masterbeat. That's about all I remember because it may have gotten a little smokey on that gig, too.

Steve

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Damn it, FantasticSound, you beat me to it... :D

:D

What do they say about great minds, Ken?? ;)

( :eek: Am I leaving us open to ridicule or what?!? :D )

No, no, undoubtedly people will recognize the wit and humor behind it all! :D

Just got back. George was cool. He was on some "stuff, fo'sho' (probably crack...seriously). The show was great. I watched the show from the side and back of the stage. My good friend is their monitor engineer. So we had "all access" passes (whatever that means). They new how to jam and jam well. The funniest thing was when George first came out he started singing "to the windows, to the walls, to the sweat running down my balls"....It was an outdoor festival so there were a lot parents with their kids. LOL! But the weed was good and the show was free. I can't complain. :D

ryst sez-------------->Just got back. George was cool. He was on some "stuff, fo'sho' (probably crack...seriously). The show was great. I can't complain.

Brucie sez------->Better than if you were hangin' backstage with Bill Clinton!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Originally posted by ryst:

...My good friend is their monitor engineer. So we had "all access" passes (whatever that means)...

It means exactly what it says. ;)

Backstage passes for press, contest winners, etc. give limited access, even if it's backstage access. Given you were there with the monitor engineer, I doubt there was anywhere short of George's and the band's dressing rooms, of the areas they controlled, that were off limits to you without an explicit invitation.

When you work a show as local crew, you can usually move, unencumbered, between the audience area, general backstage and some areas in back. But those satins do not give you access to everywhere, as your friend's laminate gives him. ;)

Very cool, Ryst! Glad you had a good time. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by ryst:

...My good friend is their monitor engineer. So we had "all access" passes (whatever that means)...

It means exactly what it says. ;)

Backstage passes for press, contest winners, etc. give limited access, even if it's backstage access. Given you were there with the monitor engineer, I doubt there was anywhere short of George's and the band's dressing rooms, of the areas they controlled, that were off limits to you without an explicit invitation.

When you work a show as local crew, you can usually move, unencumbered, between the audience area, general backstage and some areas in back. But those satins do not give you access to everywhere, as your friend's laminate gives him. ;)

Very cool, Ryst! Glad you had a good time. :thu:

Yeah it was very cool. We got to wonder pretty much wherever we wanted. I watched most of the show just behind the drummer and sometimes wondered to the side of the stage where the monitor mixer was. We even talked to one of the main players in George's band about being roadies. But I decided against it since my goal is to tour with my own band. It is always inspirational to be backstage and see how it all works. I have done it a few times and every time it gets me more excited about touring one day soon. Did I mention the weed was good? :D:D

With all due respect, I have no interest in whether the weed was good or not.

Unless your band has some firm offers, you might want to consider a tour if they are offering you a job as a set carp, tech, etc. The experience would be invaluable to you, if you decide to stick with the band. Besides, it's not like you're locked into a career by taking a tour. Most tours don't even involve contracts unless you're the primary mixer(s), LD, tour manager, etc. Just a thought.

Again, very cool for you. :)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived