Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cell phone providers Who's good?

I'm considering stopping my home phone service and going with cells for me and my wife. Can anybody recommend a good economical provider? I've looked into Nextel because I use them at work but wanted to check out some alternatives. All these plans and companies make my head spin.

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably a good idea to ask around in your geographical location, as well as on the web, since coverage can vary greatly by carrier depending on the region.

That said, I've been relatively happy with T-Mobile after an interminable and nightmarish fiasco with Sprint.

I'd had Sprint phones for a while but I'd never had to talk to them. Many people had told me Sprint was okay as long as you don't have to talk to them -- but I couldn't ever have imagined just how horrorific an experience dealing with them could be. It was probably the single worse customer service nightmare I've ever had. (At least in a case where I was completely blameless.) I finally got a refund and an apology -- but nothing can ever give me back the 18 hours I spent on the phone with them in a single 48 hour period after they accidentally turned off my phone and couldn't turn it back on again. The were unbelievably, impossibly incompetent. Cust. service person after c.s. person tried to fix it. Each one was sure he could and that the last one was an idiot -- but they ALL proved to be idiots. Most of them were nice about it. Not all, by any means. But they were all IDIOTS -- or, at the very least, forced to do idiotic things by an idiotic system. But really, they all seemed like idiots.

I'll NEVER EVER sign up with Sprint for any service of any kind at any time. Ever.

I've been with Verizon since the days they were Airtouch and cells were analog. I've had decent service and customer service. That's LoCal though.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

The question is unanswerable from anyone who lives outside of your service area-- it varies sooooo dramatically from city to city that blanket good/bads are BS.

I've had 5 different carriers in the city I live in, and Sprint has been the best here.

Where you live--- who knows but those who do?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

It's funny you guys mentioned Verizon and T-Mobile because I just did some checking with Consumer Reports and they were rated high with customer support. I've dealt with Nextel customer service and they can be a nightmare.

Does anybody know any good reasons not to get rid of the land phone? besides using 911

Originally posted by dman:

Does anybody know any good reasons not to get rid of the land phone? besides using 911

The 911 issue is going away too, Congress just passed a law requiring all cellphone services to provide 911 service. I can't remember the compliance date, believe its this year sometime.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

DSL...[me ;) ] I need a land line to get DSL.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

It's funny you guys mentioned Verizon and T-Mobile because I just did some checking with Consumer Reports and they were rated high with customer support. I've dealt with Nextel customer service and they can be a nightmare.

T-mobile for over a year,excellent customer service [in My area ;) ]

AT&T was great for a couple of years, but before the merger with Cingular, my calls were drop anywhere @ anytime, so I drop them.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

We switched from Cingular to T-Mobile, and the coverage is a lot better IMO. Cingular had too many dropouts, even in densely populated eastern Massachusetts. The T-Mobile had a dead zone when were staying on the wrong side of a mountain in the Berkshires, but the highway side of the mountain was fine.

We use two lines, and mobile-to-mobile doesn't count on your minutes. :thu:

I haven't had to deal with customer service at any point.

Archived