Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Windows is shutting down...

I just have to say that this thread title is one of my favorites ever, here.

I feel like it ought to have added at the end:

... the end of an era.

:D;):D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theblue1:

I just have to say that this thread title is one of my favorites ever, here.

I feel like it ought to have added at the end:

... the end of an era.

:D;):D

Good one blue :D:D:D

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Well guys...I installed the drivers for the AGP video card....is working now.

PCPit Stop found a small probelm with windows, but I did ot find out how to fix it, no explanation.

I Tried the following:

Removed hte AGP Card, REmove the Firewire Card, Removed the Modem card, restarted windows, and still doing the same thing...WInXp does not shutdown properly...

Installed everything again, after trying a PCI video card.. no difference......Windows still doing the same thing............

Let's have a drink!!

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030329/f3337_1272.jpghttp://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030329/f3337_1272.jpg

Try this,go to start/settings/control panel/Power Options/APM and see if Enable the advanced power management box is checked,if it is,uncheck it,if it isn't then check it.In other words,try both.Some older mobo's cannot shut down with this checked,others require it.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

ViLo, I congratulate you on your persistence!

Have you tried booting in SAFE mode, then shutting down to see if the computer hangs? Doing so will tell you if there are applications or utilities that load when you start windows in a normal fashion. These may be keeping your machine from shutting down properly. To enter safe mode, hit F8 a few times when booting your machine.

Other than that, the other ideas I have include:

BIOS settings - try resetting these to their default values.

Bad RAM - try removing all RAM except for one stick.

Low battery voltage on the motherboard's backup battery.

I'll admit, all of these suggestions sound like a long shot, but this is what it's come down to.

Thank you for trying my suggestion about the video card. I'm glad you got that working satisfactorily. Now we know that it isn't the culprit.

I don't think the problem is XP in and of itself, but how XP is interacting with a certain piece of hardware and/or its device driver.

My computer at work has started to hang on shutdown - but only on occassion. I'm wondering if I can go to GOOGLE and see if others have had this problem. The work machine is running Windows XP Professional. Since it didn't do this a few weeks ago, I'm wondering if a Windows update, Norton Antivirus, or Ad-Aware updates may be causing this. Of these three, I suspect a Windows update.

Don't give up ViLo. Remain calm. I'll ask around the office. There are plenty of people where I work who live, breath, and even sleep with computers. :eek::D

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Alndln:

Try this,go to start/settings/control panel/Power Options/APM.......

What's APM? I don't see anything..

I can see the Power Options in the control panel, when I click on it I only see...

Power Schemes/Advance/Hibernate/UPS......

10.Q :thu:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

ViLo, I congratulate you on your persistence!

Have you tried booting in SAFE mode, then shutting down to see if the computer hangs? Doing so will tell you if there are applications or utilities that load when you start windows in a normal fashion. These may be keeping your machine from shutting down properly. To enter safe mode, hit F8 a few times when booting your machine.

Other than that, the other ideas I have include:

BIOS settings - try resetting these to their default values.

Bad RAM - try removing all RAM except for one stick.

Low battery voltage on the motherboard's backup battery.

I'll admit, all of these suggestions sound like a long shot, but this is what it's come down to.

Thank you for trying my suggestion about the video card. I'm glad you got that working satisfactorily. Now we know that it isn't the culprit.

I don't think the problem is XP in and of itself, but how XP is interacting with a certain piece of hardware and/or its device driver.

My computer at work has started to hang on shutdown - but only on occassion. I'm wondering if I can go to GOOGLE and see if others have had this problem. The work machine is running Windows XP Professional. Since it didn't do this a few weeks ago, I'm wondering if a Windows update, Norton Antivirus, or Ad-Aware updates may be causing this. Of these three, I suspect a Windows update.

Don't give up ViLo. Remain calm. I'll ask around the office. There are plenty of people where I work who live, breath, and even sleep with computers. :eek::D

Tom

I'm trying your suggestions @ this time.....

10.Q :thu:

I Removed the 512RAM stick, replaced with 128 same thing: COmputer is hanging.

Reinstalled the 512 and added the 128 on the second slot:

Same thing.

I have gone to the BIos and choose the optimal settings, nothing.

Choose the other settings, nothing still hanging on teh Windows is shutting down screen....

The MoBO is new but I have to admit theat my son bougth it a year ago.

Can I find the battery @ Radio Shack?

10.Q

Originally posted by ViLo:

Can I find the battery @ Radio Shack?

Yeah,it's a common lithium battery found in cameras etc.,you can even find one in a drugstore or anywhere that sells batteries.After you change the battery you should probably reset CMOS(usually just moving a jumper and back,check your manual).After that,go into bios and make sure no onboard hardware is enabled that your not using as well and make sure FSB settings are correct and your memory is set to a default standard setting and not overcocked.As far as the APM thing,I guess it's automatic with XP(the option is in 2K though).

hi ViLo,

If you're determined to stick with XP, check and see whether you are running in ACPI mode. You'll need to get to Device Manager to do so. (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.) Once in Device Manager, click on the + sign next to Computer. You may see the phrase ACPI or the phrase Standard PC. Whichever comes up, double click it and make sure the message says it is working properly.

ACPI is what allows an XP box to shut off. With Standard PC, you should get the message "It is Now OK to Turn Off Your Computer" (or something like that). If you really want to learn more about ACPI vs. Standard PC, search the Pulsar/Scope forums at Planetz.com using either term (it used to be recommended for CreamWare users to avoid ACPI). I am not advising you to try to change from ACPI - just to make sure XP thinks it is OK.

Make sure your chipset drivers are up to date.

While you're at it, verify that you have or install the latest DirectX (9c I think - not sure how it would help, but it shouldn't hurt).

I would also advise going through the BIOS menu manually instead of telling it to "Optimize." Things I would try (one at a time) include disabling your onboard LAN, and making sure your video card is set for AGP in the BIOS.

You may see a selection in the BIOS for enabling ESCD updates. I've had good luck telling it "Yes" (sometimes, ESCD will update and then revert in the BIOS to not updating - you may need to re-set it - once things are running OK, then tell it "No" if you need to). During the boot-up, after you've made a change in the BIOS with ESCD enabled, you should see a message, "Updating ESCD" or the like. (At least that's how it works on my Intel boxes.)

You may see things in the BIOS relating to power management etc. I always disable those on a Windows box that I use for music. Explore and see if anything looks suspicious. If you take it one change at a time, and write down what you change, you should be able to reverse any wrong choices.

If none of those things work, try changing the CPU speed from a fixed MHz to Auto (or the reverse) and then back again (re-booting in-between). Be careful not to use a speed that's faster than the CPU's true speed. Be aware that some CPUs have been re-labeled with a faster speed than the factory spec'ed. If the CPU price seemed too good to be true, you may want to underclock and see if that makes a difference. Again, you may need to enable ESCD each time if you make CPU speed changes.

If things get really hosed, check the motherboard manual for the CMOS re-set jumper.

If all fails, pack a picnic lunch and try to reach Microsoft customer service :-)

Me, I'd try Linux - Barnes & Noble and Borders sell Linux magazines from the UK that come with a cover disk. They sell for a little over 10 bucks. That way you can sell a working computer and keep your expensive XP.

please visit www.johnabney.com - free music

Originally posted by jabney:

hi ViLo,

If you're determined to stick with XP, check and see whether you are running in ACPI mode. You'll need to get to Device Manager to do so. (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.) Once in Device Manager, click on the + sign next to Computer. You may see the phrase ACPI or the phrase Standard PC. Whichever comes up, double click it and make sure the message says it is working properly.

ACPI is what allows an XP box to shut off. With Standard PC, you should get the message "It is Now OK to Turn Off Your Computer" (or something like that). If you really want to learn more about ACPI vs. Standard PC, search the Pulsar/Scope forums at Planetz.com using either term (it used to be recommended for CreamWare users to avoid ACPI). I am not advising you to try to change from ACPI - just to make sure XP thinks it is OK.

Make sure your chipset drivers are up to date.

While you're at it, verify that you have or install the latest DirectX (9c I think - not sure how it would help, but it shouldn't hurt).

I would also advise going through the BIOS menu manually instead of telling it to "Optimize." Things I would try (one at a time) include disabling your onboard LAN, and making sure your video card is set for AGP in the BIOS.

You may see a selection in the BIOS for enabling ESCD updates. I've had good luck telling it "Yes" (sometimes, ESCD will update and then revert in the BIOS to not updating - you may need to re-set it - once things are running OK, then tell it "No" if you need to). During the boot-up, after you've made a change in the BIOS with ESCD enabled, you should see a message, "Updating ESCD" or the like. (At least that's how it works on my Intel boxes.)

You may see things in the BIOS relating to power management etc. I always disable those on a Windows box that I use for music. Explore and see if anything looks suspicious. If you take it one change at a time, and write down what you change, you should be able to reverse any wrong choices.

If none of those things work, try changing the CPU speed from a fixed MHz to Auto (or the reverse) and then back again (re-booting in-between). Be careful not to use a speed that's faster than the CPU's true speed. Be aware that some CPUs have been re-labeled with a faster speed than the factory spec'ed. If the CPU price seemed too good to be true, you may want to underclock and see if that makes a difference. Again, you may need to enable ESCD each time if you make CPU speed changes.

If things get really hosed, check the motherboard manual for the CMOS re-set jumper.

If all fails, pack a picnic lunch and try to reach Microsoft customer service :-)

Me, I'd try Linux - Barnes & Noble and Borders sell Linux magazines from the UK that come with a cover disk. They sell for a little over 10 bucks. That way you can sell a working computer and keep your expensive XP.

Is running in ACPI Mode.

If I suppoused to change it is does not give me a choice to do so.

trying the rest..... ;)

ACPI is what allows an XP box to shut off. With Standard PC, you should get the message "It is Now OK to Turn Off Your Computer" (or something like that).

That's not true,only older mobo's that don't support APM will hang with it enabled and has nothing to do with ACPI,in fact I run in standard mode myself with APM enabled and am able to shut down automatically,and it is not reccommended to switch to standard PC after the OS is loaded,only before,although it can be done.To load XP in standard mode you have to hold down F7 and F8(because I dont rember which :D )at the beggining of install and youll get box promting you with choices.

hi Alndin,

Good point about APM. ViLo had already tried dealing with APM, and I didn't want to make the post any longer than needed. The main thing I wanted him to do was make sure that ACPI (or Standard PC) was OK. I always disable things such as screen savers (haven't used a CGA monitor in years :-) and any other form of automatic system-nannyism on PCs meant for recording. In other words I stay away from Automatic Power Management, which - if I recall - has to be specifically enabled. It is not enabled on the box I have that runs ACPI and yet it shuts down.

I agree with you about not changing from ACPI to Standard PC after a system install. I did tell ViLo, "I am not advising you to try to change from ACPI - just to make sure XP thinks it is OK."

I wouldn't be surprised if the real solution to ViLo's PC problem is in the BIOS and/or the hardware. Every mobo's BIOS is a little different and the manuals are usually poorly written. So while I would start with the BIOS on my own machine, and then check the OS, I wouldn't advise anybody else to do it in that order unless I knew they were comfortable with the BIOS. ViLo said he used the "Optimize" choice on his BIOS, so I didn't want to encourage him to go any deeper until he had exhausted most of the easy and - generally - beneficial actions in XP.

You should have seen the paragraph I deleted on updating the BIOS itself - it even scared me :-)

please visit www.johnabney.com - free music

hi Alndin,

Good point about APM. ViLo had already tried dealing with APM, and I didn't want to make the post any longer than needed. The main thing I wanted him to do was make sure that ACPI (or Standard PC) was OK. I always disable things such as screen savers (haven't used a CGA monitor in years :-) and any other form of automatic system-nannyism on PCs meant for recording. In other words I stay away from Automatic Power Management, which - if I recall - has to be specifically enabled. It is not enabled on the box I have that runs ACPI and yet it shuts down.

I agree with you about not changing from ACPI to Standard PC after a system install. I did tell ViLo, "I am not advising you to try to change from ACPI - just to make sure XP thinks it is OK."

I wouldn't be surprised if the real solution to ViLo's PC problem is in the BIOS and/or the hardware. Every mobo's BIOS is a little different and the manuals are usually poorly written. So while I would start with the BIOS on my own machine, and then check the OS, I wouldn't advise anybody else to do it in that order unless I knew they were comfortable with the BIOS. ViLo said he used the "Optimize" choice on his BIOS, so I didn't want to encourage him to go any deeper until he had exhausted most of the easy and - generally - beneficial actions in XP.

You should have seen the paragraph I deleted on updating the BIOS itself - it even scared me :-)

THANKS GUYS!! :thu:

Archived