Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Windows is shutting down...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is windows XP, and yes is after the updates...

Bill is not this computer [ :D ] it's my old computer that I decided to fix to sell it,[i need money :D , I got my eyes on a flat LCD monitor :) ]] I replaced the MoBo and the processeor, it's working but this is the second time it stays on the "shutting down screen"

P.S. my finger it's on the reset button....I pushed it...............................................................wating....wating...OK it worked

The last time it did that, I had to start in Safe MOde.........

OK thanks guys!!

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

The processor may be overheating.

How are you cooling it? Are you overclocking it?

How long does it take from having the computer turned completely off (and cool) to getting a reset?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

How long does it take from having the computer turned completely off (and cool) to getting a reset?

Tom

heatsink & Fan...

No overclocking

I did not understand the las question.. :confused::)

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

Slow assed hard drive. Something hanging in the reg. Loaded up cache...all of that.

Yep...Samsung 40 Gig 5400 RPM HD....With too many .tmp files that I'm deleting... :)

Originally posted by ViLo:

Tom

heatsink & Fan...

No overclocking

I did not understand the las question.. :confused::)

Make sure there's proper contact with the HSF, and that there's a thermal pad or paste to transfer heat from the proc to the HSF.

The power supply may also be dodgy.

Slow assed hard drive. Something hanging in the reg. Loaded up cache...all of that.

Sounds like it to me too.I'd just wipe the drive and re-load the OS and whatever bare necessity drvers and progs and be done with it,this way you'll know wether it's the drive or not and you won't have people coming back after you sell it.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Boot from a floppy with another operating system.

For instance, download a utility routine from Maxtor's site. With it, you can produce a floppy disk that you can boot from (and check the health of your hard drive if it's a Maxtor brand).

My point is that you want to isolate the cause. If you take the hard drive out of the equation by booting from the floppy, you can wait to see if your computer overheats and reboots by itself.

=============

To rephrase my previous question which was: How long does it take from having the computer turned completely off (and cool) to getting a reset?

- Turn your computer off. Let it sit and cool. Once you turn it back on, does it overheat and reboot by itself?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Alndln:

Sounds like it to me too.I'd just wipe the drive and re-load the OS and whatever bare necessity drvers and progs and be done with it,this way you'll know wether it's the drive or not and you won't have people coming back after you sell it.
Edit: Oops, I totally misread the OP.

Scratch my earlier post, that was for the system completely shutting down :D

Click start run, type in "msconfig" and press enter.

Click startup, and uncheck any unnecessary programs from autorunning, then click on ok and choose no to restart.

Also, follow these steps to stop unnecessary services from running in the background-

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm&e=10313

I'm 90% sure it's an application that's not shutting down properly and hanging the entire shutdown.

If it runs OK, then hangs on shutdown... It could be a driver issue. Either a device driver that is loaded and isn't correct for one of the devices, or an application may have overwritten a shared driver of another one.

Most newer MoBos have a place where you can monitor the voltages & CPU/MoBo temps. You might want to let the system hang on that page for an hour and check it to see where it stablizes at. CPU below 140 degress Farenheit is your target (the lower the better). MoBo will usually be at least 20 degrees below that. If you don't have decent air flow, the temps will be high and close. Voltages need to be really close and not varying. 5 Volts not more than 0.03 volts above or below.

Now, what about devices...? Do you have USB devices plugged in? How about a network card? Do you have the latest drivers for the sound and video cards? Matched RAM? Do you have an internal modem? What happens if you strip the syatem down to the bare minimum (Video & HDD only)? Does it boot and shut down nicer? What happens as you and devices back, one at a time?

Goos luck, ViLO! Let us know what you come up with.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

OK. I misread too. I thought it was simply rebooting randomly. This is often caused by the processor overheating. My apologies.

I see you have a post asking how to reformat the C drive. That's probably the easiest thing to do - reformat, reload XP and download the updates.

Good luck!

Tom

OK. I misread too. I thought it was simply rebooting randomly. This is often caused by the processor overheating. My apologies.

I see you have a post asking how to reformat the C drive. That's probably the easiest thing to do - reformat, reload XP and download the updates.

Good luck!

Tom

Thanks GUys tha's waht I'm doing...reformating drive C.

When I isntalled the new processor I did apply the paste, and it's a new heatsink and fan.

Thanks again for the prompt replies and help :thu:

Originally posted by Alndln:

Sounds like it to me too.

Wait a sec.....what does the speed of the drive have to do with it???? Did they change something in XP that affects how it runs on an older drive?

I'm interested in this because XP will NOT run on my desktop computer. I can't even get it installed. Win 2000 works fine, but not XP....it's weird. It gets midway through "Installing Devices" and crashes. The MOBO and CPU and only a year old, but the hard drive is a 4 year old 20 gig.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

XP will NOT run on my desktop computer. I can't even get it installed. Win 2000 works fine, but not XP....it's weird. It gets midway through "Installing Devices" and crashes. The MOBO and CPU and only a year old, but the hard drive is a 4 year old 20 gig.

Super8, did you go to Microsoft's XP website to check for compatibility problems before trying to install XP?

HERE\'S THE LINK.

When you put the XP CD-ROM disc in, it asks if you want to go through this exercise. Then it asks if you want to go to their website and check for updates to this utility. You should do both.

Also, you may need to leave all accessories unplugged when you install XP. Printers, scanners, game controllers, USB devices - unplug them all before trying to install XP.

Just last night, I installed XP on an OLD, OLD, OLD Gateway machine with a Pentium II 366MHz Celeron processor, 256Meg RAM, and a 60-Gig Maxtor driver. It runs great! I couldn't believe it because it is so OLD.

Tom

WEll, guys I reformated the drive, reinstall WinXP everything works great...rigth?? NO!

COmputer still hanging on the "Windows is shutting down" screen.... :confused:

The MoBO does not have built in video, so I installed an AGP Video Card.....it has Lan and USB 2.0 Built in, and I install a FIrewire Card...If I keep this computer I'll get a bigger and faster HD, but everyting was working fine with the old MoBO except the video...But since I had a new MoBo and new processor I changed it.

No external devices are connected...

ViLo,

Strip the computer of the Firewire card and every other card except the graphics card. See if it hangs.

Go into your BIOS and see if there's anything unusual. You might try resetting it to the defaults. But try rebooting without the Firewire card first.

Also, go to http://www.pcpitstop.com and run their free diagnostics. Go to the DETAILS page and see if there is anything that looks amiss.

Report back. We'll be waiting. :P

Tom

ViLo,

Strip the computer of the Firewire card and every other card except the graphics card. See if it hangs.

Go into your BIOS and see if there's anything unusual. You might try resetting it to the defaults. But try rebooting without the Firewire card first.

Also, go to http://www.pcpitstop.com and run their free diagnostics. Go to the DETAILS page and see if there is anything that looks amiss.

Report back. We'll be waiting. :P

Tom

OK..to your health and mine...

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030329/f3337_1272.jpghttp://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030329/f3337_1272.jpg

I found a conflict or no driver issue on the Video Controller:

"the driver for this device is not installed"

I downloded the windows update but still the same way....I don't remember where I left the CD that came with the AGP Video Card :cry:

Originally posted by ViLo:

I found a conflict or no driver issue on the Video Controller:

"the driver for this device is not installed"

I downloded the windows update but still the same way....I don't remember where I left the CD that came with the AGP Video Card :cry:

Who is the manufacturer of the video card? Go to their website and download the latest driver - FOR WINDOWS XP (as opposed to any other operating system). Install the driver and you should be closer to fixing the problem.

Rerun PCPITSTOP utility and tell me what they say.

Thanks for the drink! Was that rum AND vodka? :eek:

Tom

Thanks for the drink! Was that rum AND vodka? :eek:

Tom

Nope!! cranberry juice :D:D

Drive speed and write/read speed is directly proportional to the "feel" of your computer.

True. And so is the speed of your graphics card.

I have an old 500MHz Dell. But it's got plenty of RAM, and a new video card. The video card SLAMS the text on the screen! Once I replaced the card that came with the Dell in 2000 with the new one, it felt like a new machine.

I have relearned just this week that it's not simply the speed of the processor that makes a machine fast, it's the I/O (fast drives), an adequate amount of RAM, a fast video card with updated drivers, and a decent operating system.

I was using Windows Millenium on an old machine that I was given from a coworker. I replaced it with Windows XP. I'll admit that after taking ownership of this machine, I also increased the RAM to 256 Meg (the max for this old machine), and replaced the 3 Gig drive (512K cache) with a 60 Gig Maxtor (2 Gig cache). No, the machine doesn't scream, but it does run very smoothly.

I can't attribute that solely to the upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP because I also installed the 60 Gig drive. But XP is built on the Windows 2000 platform and is much more stable than Windows ME, 98SE, 98, or Windows 95.

The most surprsing thing was that Windows XP would actually run on this old Pentium II machine! But I'm running XP Professional at work on 256 Meg of RAM. More is better, yes. But, for a business machine, it works fine.

It's amazing how easily people are giving up old machines because they seem slow. With a little RAM and perhaps a new hard drive, these machines are quite serviceable for surfing the 'net, checking email, and even ripping CDs (albeit slowly).

Tom

The graphic power is a far overlooked situation. Having a powerful graphics processor will absolutely speed up an audio computer.

Or better put, keep it from gridlocking as much.

No doubt at all.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

The graphic power is a far overlooked situation. Having a powerful graphics processor will absolutely speed up an audio computer.

This is so true! I run a Radeon 9800 Pro in my P4 DAW and it really hauls balls with all of my music apps.

Super8, did you go to Microsoft's XP website to check for compatibility problems before trying to install XP?

Did it. No problems.

Also, you may need to leave all accessories unplugged when you install XP. Printers, scanners, game controllers, USB devices - unplug them all before trying to install XP.

The only thing connected is my cable modem via USB.

I tried upgrading from 2000 to XP Pro, and during the "Installing Devices" phase, it got mid-way through and then started going through popup windows saying "Can't install this...can't install that", then it locks up.

That's the most info I've gotten out of it.

And yes, I've done a full install from a newly formated hard drive. It just won't install.

I think it has to be a hardware problem. I'm wondering if there's been a BIOS update or something. The board is from Asus, and it's only a year old and of good quality.

Like I said, it's ONLY XP that won't install. 2000 loads just fine....however, if I attempt to get the Service packs for 2000, those won't install either.

Frustrating. :mad:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived