Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lighting and health

Here are some articles I found:

http://www.buildings.com/articles/detailbuildings.asp?articleID=1781

http://www.pembaserv.com/lighting%20health%20effects.htm

So, I'm looking into this because I notice lately at the upstairs computer I am starting to feel a bit.. woozy at times. And then it gets me worried I might have another one of those odd, dizzy, near-faint episodes. (Of which was suspected to be just a viral infection... but I'd prefer a second opinion/check up).

This is all during night, by the way. I find when I go downstairs to my laptop, where I have just 1 light (red) on, I don't seem to have this issue. And I haven't really had this problem before while on the upstairs computer at night, so I dunno. Usually there is a lamp on that sits on a hutch above the monitor. Behind me is a 3-bulb lamp, sometimes I turn on a dimmer bulb to try to balance things out.

There is also the possibility that it could be my monitor's refresh rate. I'm on a 15" Samsung LCD set at 72 Hz, it's maximum. I recently changed it from 60 Hz, it's minimum, in case it might fix the problem. Hasn't.

Anyway, any insight you could share?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phait,

Do you get plenty of sleep each night? If not, this might play a factor in feeling ill because your body has not been given proper chance to relax and recover from the days activities. Of course, a lack of sleep will certainly cause drowsiness.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Yeah I tend to get at least 6 to 10 hours, it varies. As does my awake/asleep shift of day or night.

I read through the articles and our bodies have a kind of clock that is attributed to sunrise and sunset, pretty interesting.

Perhaps getting yourself set on some sort of a routine sleep schedule, a consistant time period, would help to balance things out a bit more for you. I know that whenever I start jacking around my sleep schedule, I start feeling like doo-doo. Fatigue, depression, restlessness, body aches, and all sorts of other things can be caused by improper sleeping habits.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

I read about studies done on light vs productivity in some of the northern European countries. They found that because the folks there dont get enough light during the winter months that they decrease in prodcutivity becasue they are not in fact 'properly awake'... dont ask me how many degrees of awake there are!!

But they did tests where they gave employees 15 minutes of time in a bright, specially lit room with certain type of bright light... and they found productivity increased and moods and emotions were better too.

We need light. and good light!

Some say light coming from behind the line of your monitor is better for your eyes... as opposed to the light being behind you..

dunno why

Archived