Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bruce - "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

sign sez--------->And you didn't ask anybody how to do it!

Brucie sez-------->Perhaps I'm not as low-tech as I thought!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(I absoluely love the Green Grinner!)

Yes, Green Grinner is a good one, but your kitties might get jealous that you're not posting pictures of them instead http://musicbizbuzz.net/smilies/catmilk.gif

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THATS gonna be my next literature purchase. As much as I respect Bruce for his stature as an engineer, producer and all around master of the recording process, his real talent lies in his ability to explain what he does in a simple and eloquent manner... I'm sure that's a great read!
Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

Cycling back here. Well, I was a little paranoid about gutting my DI and concerned that a big honking transformer would drastically kill either me or my preamp from the voltage increase but this is passive in nature and guitar signals run in the mV so I said what the heck and installed as large a transformer as I could find then mounted it on the outside of the box. It would not fit inside.

It is, in a word, a remarkable difference in quality of sound. There is more meat in the signal and the transient response is smoother. Fun project which took about 2 hours to complete.

Originally posted by Is there bass in the caR-R-R-R-R?:

THATS gonna be my next literature purchase. As much as I respect Bruce for his stature as an engineer, producer and all around master of the recording process, his real talent lies in his ability to explain what he does in a simple and eloquent manner... I'm sure that's a great read!

It is all that, and a fun read. Goes by *fast* though!! I think I read the thing in about two days because it was interesting! :D

KB Gunn asks----------->Have you ever given thought to manufacturing the BassBox? Is the transformer still made or if not, can it be duplicated? I am sure everyone wants one now. Recording bass can be pretty tricky and you sound like you have the perfect tool. I would buy one if it did't cost an arm and a leg to produce.

Brucie answers--------->Yes. Dirk Brauner (Of his Brauner microphone fame) and I were going to at one time. There is a company in Germany and one in Sweden that says that they can make that transformer again, and maybe even improve on it as well!

Of course it would be a bit pricey....

No one seemed interested. What do you think?

Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

KB Gunn asks----------->Have you ever given thought to manufacturing the BassBox? Is the transformer still made or if not, can it be duplicated? I am sure everyone wants one now. Recording bass can be pretty tricky and you sound like you have the perfect tool. I would buy one if it did't cost an arm and a leg to produce.

Brucie answers--------->Yes. Dirk Brauner (Of his Brauner microphone fame) and I were going to at one time. There is a company in Germany and one in Sweden that says that they can make that transformer again, and maybe even improve on it as well!

Of course it would be a bit pricey....

No one seemed interested. What do you think?

Bruce Swedien

When you say no one seemed interested, do you mean consumers or manufacturers? Also, by a bit pricey, how much is a bit? 16, 24? :)

If it is several hundred dollars, it would be worth it. If it is thousands, it would greatly limit the market. Perhaps oriental labor would make it reasonable for folks like us.

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

KB Gunn asks--------->When you say no one seemed interested, do you mean consumers or manufacturers? Also, by a bit pricey, how much is a bit? 16, 24?

Brucie answers--------->We didn't get that far on the price thing. Actually I talked to a few Bass Players and that's where the subject died.

Bruce Swedien

I for one would love to have the ability to record with your bass box. How many others here feel that way?

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Bruce bass "box".

A good price point that would sell is about 795.00US

If you could get the tranny for about 130.00, I would build the hell out of those things and supply the box and I/O with screen printing.

BSBB-1 (Bruce Swedien Bass Box mod-1)

It could be a 2U rack space unit.

As far as marketing goes, we all know cost of manufacture to retail is about ~3.6X and has to be. Break even is 2X.

Most high end audio is 5X and most cables are 25X of the higher end.

If Bruce does not get his percentage to begin with, all bets are off.

First one would cost about a grand...even with a 130.00US x former.

Want to do 5 of them and see???

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Bill Roberts sez--------->Bruce bass "box".

BSBB-1 (Bruce Swedien Bass Box mod-1)

Brucie sez--------->Brother Bill - Let me see if I can find the Prototype that Dirk Brauner made and I'll send it to you. It looks great, but he wired it wrong!

I'll get back to you soon....

Bruce Swedien

Bruce,

I am very hip to that.

We can wire it wrong or right ( :) ) and I have 2 real nice axes to test with (Fender Jazz, and a Rick)

Mike the transformer man (even gets ahold of cobolt for cores and nickle) could also build them..but lets do babysteps. I am still very hip to seeing if this could be done on a limted basis. I do have an undewriter if it gets out of hand!

Just in case....

http://www.magnequest.com/products.htm

You play bass good enough to voice the thing, I think I do as well..but I don't mind mail!

(we could even do some mp3's to see if the voicing is right on!)

We have to get the gasser certificates done as well...and my vehicular issues..it is getting a new transmission this week.

Say HEY to 2K going out of the wallet. (for tranny)

All in time.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Archived