Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What's Your Personality Type?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MusicMedicine:

I don't mean to pee in anybody's pool, but these tests are a joke (that is, if you're expecting any real answers from them).

Check out The Cult of Personality for a look at how personality tests are created and marketed. It's big money without any real scientific basis.

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff, I hope to check it out soon. I enjoy reading critical essays on aspects of the field (I'd add "House of Cards" and "Silencing Science" as good reads)- they remind me to keep a critical eye open. Unfortunately, reviewers of the book (on the Amazon site) do make some strong and reasonable criticisms about the author's choices of targets, evidence, reasoning and conclusions in this book.

I have reservations about many of these tests and their applications (there's a bit of misuse in the justice system, to be sure!), but hey, if people are having fun with these crappy online "personality" tests, I say let them have fun!

You know what's interesting about this? Your mood will affect how you answer the questions and give you different answers each time. Like Coyote said, there are several false dichotomies here. I remember when I first clicked on the link for this test, I attempted to answer the first 5 questions and said, "this is stupid. Where's the real M-B test everyone's taking?"

Then I clicked on the other links and found out that first link must be the test! So I took it. :P

Anyway, today, the test sez my personality hierarchy is, from 1 to 5 in matches: ENFP, INFP, ESFP, ISFP, ENFJ. To me, the changing nature is more interesting than anything. Yes, it's entertainment. The scary thing is if employers really used this and base anything on this.

It's like any statistical application, tho: Assume the answers you want, ask the questions that will support the questions. Also, statistically speaking, 36 questions is not enough to accurately produce valid evidence of a trend. I suppose (been a while since I've seen it) the full-blown test is much longer. Still, questions asked will be designed to support preconceived answers.

Aw hell, it's fun anyway. :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Hanshananigan:

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff, I hope to check it out soon. I enjoy reading critical essays on aspects of the field (I'd add "House of Cards" and "Silencing Science" as good reads)- they remind me to keep a critical eye open. Unfortunately, reviewers of the book (on the Amazon site) do make some strong and reasonable criticisms about the author's choices of targets, evidence, reasoning and conclusions in this book.

The book is certainly not perfect and some of the criticisms are valid, but for laypeople it's a good introduction to the world of personality tests - how some of the most popular were developed and where they can fall short. You may find it an interesting read but hardly ground-breaking given your background.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as "House of Cards" (Although much of psychotherapy has fallen into the same trap as music therapy over the years with comparatively little serious research going on). There still is some good research happening in the field and I felt that "House of Cards" largely ignored the good while emphasizing the bad (Okay, I guess "The Cult of Personality" does pretty much fit into the same category ;) )

I haven't read "Silencing Science". Maybe I'll pick it up and give it a read.

I have reservations about many of these tests and their applications (there's a bit of misuse in the justice system, to be sure!), but hey, if people are having fun with these crappy online "personality" tests, I say let them have fun!
Exactly!

Jeff

I haven't read "Silencing Science". Maybe I'll pick it up and give it a read.

After looking around a bit on the web, maybe I was hasty to recommend that one! I liked the brevity and the intro to the way science can be quelled by a political cause. I wondered why their examples were a bit anti-environmentalist (and other left-leaning groups) and pro-corporation. Apparently, the book is propaganda for the publisher's views (Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank). I suppose there are better sources concerning the "silencing of science" by govt, media, etc, but I still enjoyed it.

Years ago, I used to get "caught" on the false dichotomy questions, but it did not happen much this time...I just went with the answer my nature would tend toward.

In any case, taking it again has almost answered a question for me in terms of why I have been thinking about certain things...it is because the person asking has changed. ;)

INFP am I.

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Here's how mine came out. Bizarrely, I rarely enjoy being the center of attention, and rarely am. I think I'm more like the 2nd or 3rd matches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your #1 Match: ENTP

The Visionary

You are charming, outgoing, friendly. You make a good first impression.

You possess good negotiating skills and can convince anyone of anything.

Happy to be the center of attention, you love to tell stories and show off.

You're very clever, but not disciplined enough to do well in structured environments.

You would make a great entrpreneur, marketing executive, or actor.

Your #2 Match: ENFP

The Inspirer

You love being around people, and you are deeply committed to your friends.

You are also unconventional, irreverant, and unimpressed by authority and rules.

Incredibly perceptive, you can usually sense if someone has hidden motives.

You use lots of colorful language and expressions. You're qutie the storyteller!

You would make an excellent entrepreneur, politician, or journalist.

Your #3 Match: ENTJ

The Executive

You are a natural leader - with confidence and strength that inspires others.

Driven to succeed, you are always looking for ways to gain, power, knowledge, and expertise.

Sometimes you aren't the most considerate person, especially to those who are a bit slow.

You are not easily intimidated - and you have a commanding, awe-inspiring presence.

You would make a great CEO, entrepreneur, or consultant.

Your #4 Match: INTP

The Thinker

You are analytical and logical - and on a quest to learn everything you can.

Smart and complex, you always love a new intellectual challenge.

Your biggest pet peeve is people who slow you down with trivial chit chat.

A quiet maverick, you tend to ignore rules and authority whenever you feel like it.

You would make an excellent mathematician, programmer, or professor.

Your #5 Match: ENFJ

The Giver

You strive to maintain harmony in relationships, and usually succeed.

Articulate and enthusiastic, you are good at making personal connections.

Sometimes you idealize relationships too much - and end up being let down.

You find the most energy and comfort in social situations ... where you shine.

You would make a good writer, human resources director, or psychologist.

I don't mean to pee in anybody's pool, but these tests are a joke (that is, if you're expecting any real answers from them).

Check out The Cult of Personality for a look at how personality tests are created and marketed. It's big money without any real scientific basis.

Jeff

Also, it's more of a sampling. No real personality test is only going to have 30 questions. That's far too few questions to allow any "real" patterns to be detected. This sort of thing is more for fun (or other reasons - see above).

Archived