Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to delay an AC3 signal to get audio in sync with plasmascreens?

Interesting problem I´ve encountered here. I even had a salesman in my local HiFi-store calling me a moron, since I "claimed" that the new Plasma TV´s have a latency of approx. 1 - 1,5 frames. But it´s a fact - due to the digital conversion of the picture, my audio(AC3) is not in sync as the audio goes directly to my AC3-amp. SO - all my post-work presented to customers are out of sync :( Not cool!

I need a workaround -a way to either delay the digital signal in steps of milliseconds, og myabe even simpler take the speaker out - delay it, and then send it to the speaker. and if it coul fit into a half size 19" I´d be delighted..

Excited to see of anyone have any suggestions...

Regards,

Erik Høirup

FatCat Audio/Video Post

Erik Høirup

Producer, MIBS

FatCat Productions

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Topic: How to delay an AC3 signal to get audio in sync with plasmascreens?"

UUFFFFFFF!!! For a moment I tought it was a Walter's copy Cat!!!!!Sorry :D:D:D

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by fatcat:

...even had a salesman in my local HiFi-store calling me a moron, since I "claimed" that the new Plasma TV´s have a latency...

So, here's a guy who's selling trouble plagued $4000 televisions and he calls his customer a moron?

Nice. You don't get that kind of customer service at Circuit City.

I remember those little sabine units. Very nice and especially great for time aligning a multiway, multiamp loudspeaker system.

(The soundman.. I think their was one laying around in the cold room for a time...remember??)

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Hi everybody!

Thanks for all the answers. I´ll just quickly answer some of the questions asked:

1. It´s a permanent delay.

2. The problem persists whether the signal comes from DVD or sat-decoder. Both are connected to the same amplifier anyway.

I´m gonna look into all your suggestions an will let you know which solution I choose.

Thanks a lot!

Erik Høirup

Erik Høirup

Producer, MIBS

FatCat Productions

ups sorry... `bout that "#%"¤ salesdude who was rude... I´m gonna visit the store and rub the tech specs of felston box in his nose...

:)

Erik

Erik Høirup

Producer, MIBS

FatCat Productions

Done - just bought the felston DD540 which has dual digital inputs - £120 to get rid of my headace.... Absolutely acceptable!

Thanks again!

Erik Høirup

Erik Høirup

Producer, MIBS

FatCat Productions

Most, if not all, new digital displays, that do "serious" video processing, suffer from video latency (DLP, LCD, HDILA, Plasma etc) - some are worse than others. If you run the audio through the display, then most TVs will re-sync the audio. However, if you are using an external processor or receiver, then you can have audio sync problems. Many new video and audio processors are now offering sync / global audio delay to solve this problem. The video processor that I use, Iscan HD+ actually calculates how much delay is needed, depending on how much processing it is doing.

Pascal Sijen

Co-Founer

www.abluesky.com

I can understand, to a degree, for HD, but DVD's are all Standard definition. If these displays are HD capable, then the upscaling is yet another translation.

Most of all, I mention motion artifact as opposed to a global delay. I have seen many digital displays work fine. Only when a lot of motion in the content can some artifacts be seen. Rather than a delay, it is more of a digital "smearing".

As to a common delay in digital displays, I haven't seen it.

In the digital video distribution systems I've designed, we didn't notice any delays until the video had been routed through at least 4 matrix gates (gate in/gate out). The format was SMPTE 259M with an AtoD at the output of the source, even.

I guess it's possible that some new displays are using poor AtoD's when converting from analog SD to 16 bit HD.

There is also a DtoA conversion in the DVD player, but those usually take care of any alignment issues. Hard to say with the cheapos, though.

Archived