Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which would you buy?

I want to add a couple of high-end mic-pre channels to my setup. These would be used mostly for vocals and guitars -- but it would be nice to be able to use them for a wider variety of applications (brass/percussion).

I'm looking at the Vintech 1272, UA 2-610 and Trident S20. I favor the UA for its technical design / analogue path / basic EQ. Really don't need compression.

Which would be your choice? (Yes, I'm open to other products in the same price range.)

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Vintech 1272 here and have been very happy with it. I don't have a rack of class A pre's to compare it to but compared to my mid level pre's I like it better.

I'm notice your a bass player, I checked out my buddys Avalon 727 or 737 (forgot the #) and that thing had bass all day long.

I've heard the Great River and the UA stuff was top notch, maybe check out Lynn Fulstons mic pre shootout cd.

Thanks Dman, it's good to get your feedback.

I was hoping to hear from someone with a Vintech setup. I usually DI my bass in through my Pendulum Audio pre and Distressor, but may also mic it through an RNP/RNC. Thought about the Avalon (737) but it's a lot for a single channel and I probably wouldn't use their compression, so I'm back to basics -- pre-amp and basic EQ.

Doesn't Philip O'Keefe use Vintech?

Dave

Yes, he does, and I'm sure he'll check in shortly. He likes his (obviously, or he wouldn't keep using it! ).

Archived