Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips for expressive singing?

I've had some interesting comments on my singing lately from friends that weren't exactly flattering. I KNEW my wife was just complimenting me to make me feel good!!! :D

They say that I am hitting the notes fine, but sound flat (dynamically), and somewhat dull.

I think alot of it has to do with my breathing. It feels as if I tend to let out too much air at the beginning of my phrasing. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors as well, and I'm sure a voice teacher would help alot.

Well, I can't afford voice lessons right now, dammit!!!!! I am not experiencing any pain while singing, so I think that I'm at least not in any current danger of hurting myself.

So how do you make your voice sound more expressive, sexy, warm, etc????

Amateur Hack

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all heart. You have to put yourself into the song and come up with some emotional content, and it must be genuine. That's the most important part of singing, authenticity. Technique won't give you emotion.

Hope this helps.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Jedi is spot on.

If you can't feel the song you can't express emotion when doing the song.

However...

Going along your vein as a vocalist/instrument player, the instrument, if you want to do right by the vocals, will have to take a back seat.

If your music needs to have lots of fancy Keyboard stuff, either change it to guitar or have another Keyboardist.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Shniggens,

Breathing technique plays a large factor in pitch control. If you are not equipped with an adequate supply of breath when reaching a point that needs to be sustained, or in grasping to reach the end of a vocal measure, although you can stretch it out vocally; the vibrance, timbre, emotion, or whathaveyou is lost.

Learn to take sneak breaths in inconspicuous breaks in the vocals to where you will have enough wind power left to pull the vocal out when you really need the breath.

Another focus may be on what you consume prior to singing. Don't eat a big meal right before you sing, if you have to eat anything at all prior to a vocal performance; make it something light like yogurt. Try not to eat ANYTHING within approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to singing. Also, Tequila, Vodka, and other harsh liquors are hell on your voice... these place stress on your vocal cords by "forcing" them to react under adverse conditions. It is recommended that you don't sing while taking any type of medications that are muscle relaxers, or pain killers for the same reasons as alcohol.

And.... do I even have to mention what smoking will do to your singing voice????

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Emulation can help. Find the most expressive singer you can, and emulate their style. Although everyone might not dig his style, Bruce Springsteen comes to mind...when he pours his guts into a song, it sounds like he's pouring himself totally into it. Bear in mind, I'm just using him for an example, but, keeping with this example, ask yourself "How would Bruce sing it?" (or whoever you choose).
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Ani:

Another focus may be on what you consume prior to singing. Don't eat a big meal right before you sing, if you have to eat anything at all prior to a vocal performance; make it something light like yogurt.

Aren't dairy products such as yogurt counterproductive due to their phlegm building qualities?

Try not to eat ANYTHING within approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to singing. Also, Tequila, Vodka, and other harsh liquors are hell on your voice... these place stress on your vocal cords by "forcing" them to react under adverse conditions.
What about other beverages? I heard that cold drinks are not good either, because they can tighten the vocal chords.

And.... do I even have to mention what smoking will do to your singing voice????

Is that why all the great singers in the 60's can't sing anymore? ;)
Amateur Hack

Originally posted by The Lurker:

Originally posted by Jedi:

it must be genuine. That's the most important part of singing, authenticity.

Jedi's right.

That's the trick.

Be yourself.

I agree. I will also add that you should listen to music that inspires you to feel it. For me, the most inspirational vocal recording I own is Aretha's Jazz. I am not a skilled singer and really don't like my voice at all but I find that if I just put everything I've got into it and believe in what I'm trying to get across, it goes over well.

As far as singing with an instrument, I always learned my guitar parts inside and out so my hands could go on auto pilot and I could concentrate on the singing.

Remember it's a muscle (your singing; throat and diaphram) and you have to use it regularly to stay in shape.

I notice no coorelation to drinking anything and singing although people I've been in bands with were really fussy with their hot tea's, lemon and such. Beer and some bourbon shots always worked out fine for me.

We used to do a lot of six nights a week, 3 to 5 hour shows. When you're doing that regularly you almost never wear out or lose your voice because you stay in shape. It helped that we had three strong singers and we split the lead vocal duties pretty evenly (although we did loads of harmonies so everyone sang on nearly every song).

So add what I said to what Jedi said. :thu:

:D I need tips on how to tell someone they have this problem. This particular person has excellent ears, and can find harmonies perfectly. Which is incredible IMO, but he doesn't sing the notes, he just hits them.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

:D I need tips on how to tell someone they have this problem. This particular person has excellent ears, and can find harmonies perfectly. Which is incredible IMO, but he doesn't sing the notes, he just hits them.

The best way to politely tell someone that they can do better is to record them and let them hear what they actually sound like. If in a position to do so, have another accomplished vocalist perform the same song and allow the friend to hear both recordings.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by shniggens:

Originally posted by Ani:

Another focus may be on what you consume prior to singing. Don't eat a big meal right before you sing, if you have to eat anything at all prior to a vocal performance; make it something light like yogurt.

Aren't dairy products such as yogurt counterproductive due to their phlegm building qualities?

Try not to eat ANYTHING within approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to singing. Also, Tequila, Vodka, and other harsh liquors are hell on your voice... these place stress on your vocal cords by "forcing" them to react under adverse conditions.
What about other beverages? I heard that cold drinks are not good either, because they can tighten the vocal chords.

Is that why all the great singers in the 60's can't sing anymore? ;)
I've never had any problems with the yogurt myself, but I do stick to making sure to eat it an hour or more prior to singing.

It seems that I've heard about the iced drinks being restrictive.... I don't normally drink iced drinks when singing.

Try this; before a gig, turn your pants inside out, and cut out one or both of your front pockets. Then, during your gig, you have easy access to one of your MAJOR emotional response areas.

If the song is a happy one, be nice to yourself down there.

If it's a sad song...

Well, you get the idea.

"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

After the mic, compressor, level and everything else is set, get a bottle of Single Malt Scotch Whiskey (The Lagavulin comes to mind). Pour yourself 2 or 3 nips into a glass. As you rehearse, take a sip between each verse and each chorus. Refill the glass and rehearse again. Repeat all this until the bottle is between 1/2 and 2/3 full. You have to act quickly now and get one of the next two takes down. If the bottle ends up over half empty, you've missed the ultimate take and if you have a DAW, you should hit "Undo record" and work with the previous take. Voila. Instant soul. :cool::freak:

All interesting ideas and some of them good ones. :D

I think those who are concerned about genuineness and feeling are spot on.

But there's also technique involved in being able to communicate those and serve the music.

One thing you mentioned was that you were hitting the notes but it still sounded flat (not pitch-flat I don't think) or monotone-like.

That can be because pitch comes from your vocal chords -- but resonance comes from your whole vocal apparatus, from the lungs to the sinuses and everywhere in between.

If you don't vary your resonance cavities in differing fashions, your voice will, in a broad sense, sound like it's being filtered by a notch filter. Your pitch will change, but the resonance of your vocal system will continue to emphasize a narrow range, hence, your ability to hit notes but still sound like a monotone.

I like to call it the Dylan Effect. (I used to listen to Dylan sing a song and then other singers sing the same song, realize they were both hitting the same basic melody and wonder how it could sound so amazingly different.)

Anyhow, when I'm really trying to sing a song I'll find myself holding my body in funny ways [er, not necessarily the way E-Money means, though :D ] maybe twisting my shoulders a little, moving my jaw, holding the muscles up by my sinuses open and up, or moving my neck and throat -- all different moves to nurse different sounds out of different notes.

(And it still sounds like crap. But that's another issue. You should have heard it before. :D )

Originally posted by DC:

I notice no coorelation to drinking anything and singing although people I've been in bands with were really fussy with their hot tea's, lemon and such. Beer and some bourbon shots always worked out fine for me.

:thu:

Here Here...

The only times anything has bothered me is when I've laid off singing for any time and that damned chemo-therapy changed things forever.

I normally have a few before and during gigs, been doing that for years, and there is no difference in the vocals, or the stamina. Sometimes, however, I may have one too many and slur a word or two. Probably affects the picking more than the voice 'cause I ain't a good, smooth picker anyway.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Some useful stuff in this thread! My vocal experience is minimal so I can't give much helpful advice, but my g/f has sung for many years in choirs before joining a band and was told in every one not to even go near any dairy products on the days they were singing, not sure exactly what it does to the voice, but I'd say that was a thumbs down on it!
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Just a possible observation...a lot of advice here seems to be directed at "what to do or not do to your voice prior to singing"...i.e..."don't eat this" or "drink this"...

While this may or may not directly affect the tonality of your voice, the ability to hit certain notes and all, IMO, it has little to do with what you do with that pitch once you have it. The voice is like any other instrument...and it requires a good bit of technique in order to not just "produce the notes", but to make them sound musical and pleasing as well.

For example...years ago, when my daughter Lindsay was a clarinetist with the school band, we took her for some clarinet lessons. The teacher put a scale in front of her and asked her to play it..."HONK HONK HONK" ...etc...

She played all the notes. Accurately. But not expressively! Then it was the teacher's turn. You can guess the difference!

Have a first year violin student play a major scale. He or she should be able to "hit the notes". Now ask Itzhak Perlman to play the same scale. Same notes! But what a difference!

The same is true of the voice. If I read Shniggens' post correctly, he wants to put a bit more "Itzhak Perlman" in his voice...and, IMO, the only way you can do that is by listening and emulating what you hear. The "no milk" will enable your voice to hit the notes, possibly, but as far as polishing those raw notes to a high-gloss sheen, that's entirely another matter.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I vote for knowing and understanding the words, and telling the story. The more you can personalize the song, the better you'll deliver.

I really liked the scene in "Round Midnight" where Dexter Gordon is upset because he can't remember the words to the song. Even for a sax player the words matter. Music is a form of communication, and you have to use all of the tools available to you to get the message across.

If that means singing to one particular audience member, so be it.

Whenever I have "coached" a better performance out of a singer, it has always been helpful to spend some time talking about what the song means to them. Not what it means to me.

If you don't beleive or understand what you are singing, how can the audience buy in????

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

If you want a sure fire way to sing expressivly, have your spouse kick you in the groin at the proper time. You'll hit the high notes with great ease and wonderful expression.

Our Joint

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I vote for knowing and understanding the words, and telling the story. The more you can personalize the song, the better you'll deliver.

In Meatloafs autobiography he explains that he has to find the character he is portraying within the song to sing it effectively, kinda like an actor getting into the role I guess. Sounds like what I think you are describing here...
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Archived