Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential 80�s New Wave CD�s?

Originally posted by aeon:

Stranger and Mudcat:

I am with you on Modern English's After The Snow, I just love the production on there.

But for me, the cream is their earliest 7" material (all later reissued on the Mesh And Lace CD).

On the stereo I play Gathering Dust, 16 Days, Swans On Glass, Mesh And Lace, and Smiles And Laughter as an "EP" of sorts. :)

I love that propulsive yet atmospheric sound. I think the distorted guitar tones on Gathering Dust and Smiles And Laughter are just great...raging, but still has that "combo amp with room tone" sound.

cheers,

aeon

Modern English is a much neglected band. There is so much more than "Melt With You," (as great a song as that one is).

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by The Stranger:

...Felix mentioned Modern English and I'd like to add that After The Snow is a great album. Very cool songwriting and guitar work. And that's coming from somebody who was thrashing it out around that time. :thu:

If you like After The Snow you need to check out their Ricochet Days album. This one is even better, without a hit single (IMHO of course). :thu:
Ricochet Days had a hit single. Well, maybe a minor one but "Hands Across The Sea" was a well known hit.

Other groups that I really like are The Church and The Waterboys. "The Whole Of The Moon" is a great song imo.

Archived