Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underappreciated Genius

I just have to spread some free PR for someone I think does fantastic stuff:

Jack Dangers

aka Meat Beat Manifesto

His stuff is hard to categorize..typically great drums/loops, lots of searing atonal or modal synth racket, often this background of lofi, grey, reverby randomness, brilliant sampled vocal snippets, and a sense of humor, too. Oh, and often good played bass parts (he's a bass player). Often called the "godfather of industrial", maybe he was a big influence on industrial, but that title is not a good indicator of what his material is actually like.

If you're determined to hate drum loops, however great they are, and any type of techno/electonica, etc., then don't bother checking him out. But if you are from a rock background and are at least making an attempt to understand the appeal of electronic stuff, his stuff is a good place to start.

IMHO his best albums:

Actual Sounds and Voices (one track appeared in The Matrix you might recognize)

R.U.O.K.

Subliminal Sandwich (Jim Aiken gave this album a totally over-the-top rave review when it came out sometime back...)

M Peasley

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At some point in the late '80s or early '90s, Jack Dangers moved out to San Francisco and teamed up with Mark Pistel of Consolidated to co-produce the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy. I remember when "Television: The Drug of the Nation" was all over college radio. Good stuff! :thu:

Topic: Underappreciated Genius

Finally! A topic about ME!!!

...What?!?... It's not about me??... Oh, bother! :mad:

Seriously, I'm not "determined to hate drum loops", as you say, but I find most electronica very boring.

To each their own... :wave:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived