Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tough to get rid of pre-installed symantic

We bought a computer for my wife and daughter and it came with pre-installed NAV. I just downloaded AVG free and so I went to uninstall NAV. Holy crap. What a lot of work. It would not uninstall. It kept telling me that the auto update was still running. I had that turned off and I shut down everything I could from the task manager/processes menu. It just would not uninstall. So, forgetting that I could boot up in safe mode, I went on a hunt throughout my computer to rid it of everything symantic/norton. That was interesting. After deleting the program files, I found several references in different places in the registry. I could not find anything in any .ini files that referred to their software. However, there were many .sys files related to symantic and of course the dreaded "shared" files. Several symantic processes run under 'system' which are scary to delete. Anyway, I guess I got it all. I hope. All the references to NAV and symantic have disappeared from my installed software list and AVG is now up and running smoothly.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dylan:

Better yet, I'd re-image your system with the XP CD that came with the Dell and just put on what you need.

This computer did not come with any software or os cd's. It came with only with recovery files in a partition on the hdd. I was allowed to make one and only one set of recovery cd's, then the 'make recovery cd's' software became automatically disabled. So, if I use the recovery cd's I'll end up with the exact same programs as came with the computer originally. I knew I should have just built a computer. Buying pre-packaged stuff always gives you unwanted software. I'll get the stuff off I don't want tho.

John, I'll take a look at registryfix and see what it's all about, but so far I haven't found any registry control software that does something you cannot do by yourself if you know your way around a little bit. I appreciate the lead, however, and I will check it out. Thanks. :thu:

bbach

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Download a copy of RegisteryFix and it will find all the references you couldn't find plus a whole lot of other problems you didn't know were there.

cheers

john

Little update John: I used RegistryFix and it is decent software. However, even after runing the softare and doing the repairs, I found many references to deleted software in my registry and in other places within Windows that I had to manually remove. I think RegistryFix corrects any broken links or eliminates the references to unneeded registry entries but does not delete unneeded entries altogether. I spent quite a bit of useful time this morning cleaning up my computer, partly with the software you recommended. I can say that I have noticed a faster re-boot time now. I'll have to do the same with my wife/daughers computer now.

bbach

Archived