Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tiger's roar stampeding Microsoft's Longhorn

Tiger's roar stampeding Microsoft's Longhorn

Apple's resurgent operating system, OSX 10.4, codenamed "Tiger", could open a new front in the perpetual conflict against Microsoft. Much as Firefox, the open source web browser retrieved from the ruins of Netscape Navigator, threatens Microsoft's hegemony with its Internet Explorer, so this week's Tiger debut offers enterprise customers a viable desktop choice over Windows for the first time in a decade.

The latest iteration of the Apple operating system, with its 200 new features, built on the rock-solid foundations of Berkeley Unix (sometimes called BSD), is the biggest OS release of the year.

SOURCE

for all you mac lovers ;)

cheers

john

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac? Windows? Who Cares? But I adore the wildly mixed metaphor in the headline. A roar stampeding?

Hell, even the image of Tigers stampeding is giddily oblivious to zoological reality.

Poor longhorn.

Headline writers. Gotta love them.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Firefox, the open source web browser retrieved from the ruins of Netscape Navigator, threatens Microsoft's hegemony with its Internet Explorer, so this week's Tiger debut offers enterprise customers a viable desktop choice over Windows for the first time in a decade.

Uh,I already run Firefox with the Explorer removed on Windows for over a year now.Don't tell Steve though,it won't sit well with his press release.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by Magpel:

Mac? Windows? Who Cares? But I adore the wildly mixed metaphor in the headline. A roar stampeding?

Hell, even the image of Tigers stampeding is giddily oblivious to zoological reality.

Poor longhorn.

LOL - Good observation John! :D

Wasn't that the name of one of Woody Herman 's bands? The Stampeding Tiger Herd? ;)

I preordered my copy of Tiger last week, but I'll wait awhile until compatibility with my apps is assured before I install it on my music drive. I saw Steve Jobs' Mac World keynote demo of Tiger via QuickTime and it looks exciting. I'm looking forward to having the Dashboard host and the many widgets written for it at my disposal. On the Audio side, Device Aggregation and the new Core Audio Format look very promising.

I'm sure Longhorn will be an exciting release too...

Best,

Geoff

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/NoMacVsPC.jpg

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Alndlnsta's A-Unit:

...Uh,I already run Firefox with the Explorer removed on Windows for over a year now.Don't tell Steve though,it won't sit well with his press release.

Wish I could do that! Unfortunately, several key websites I work with don't work with Firefox! :mad: (Most notably, Fedex's online waybill processing and Microsoft's updates.) Like it or not, it appears I need to keep IE on my computers.

So how do you access MS's service packs, etc.?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm interested in whether the dashboard widgets always run in the background, thereby taking up CPU cycles (still in a Dual G4 1GHz). If so, can they be turned off, without the use of aftermarket utilities and under-the-hood stuff found on "power-user" and hacker websites. I've done quite a bit of experimenting with those under Panther, and gotten some marginal performance gains, but often at the expense of screwing up something I had to go back and undo.

Apple seems increasingly aware of their good reputation among musicians and audio professionals, and what we want is stability, cleanliness, and the ability to turn off stuff we don't want, even if the latest greatest CPU can handle it.

I'm excited about Tiger, but I too will take a wait-and-see approach for now.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Let me get this straight:

Windows hardware users will be able to run Tiger? :confused:

That would indeed be BIG news if it is actually the case.

The thing is, I don't see why Apple would do that. They view themselves as a HARDWARE company first and foremost, much like Digidesign does, and they're interested in selling boxes. If people could get the Mac UI on cheaper hardware, IMO, that would take a big bite (pun intended) out of Apple's hardware sales.

From an end-user standpoint, we'd need drivers that would work with our hardware and the Apple software if we wanted to use it for music applications. Maybe not... maybe current Mac drivers would work - I dunno... but I would imagine that drivers would be an issue.

Am I just misunderstanding this, or is Apple really planning on releasing an OS version that can run cross-platform? :confused:

Originally posted by Magpel:

Poor longhorn.

Since nits must be picked, there is nothing illogical or metaphorically mixed about the roar of a tiger stampeding a herd of longhorns. :cool:

v. stam·ped·ed, stam·ped·ing, stam·pedes

v. tr.

1. To cause (a herd of animals) to flee in panic.

And I'm looking forward to Apple's Tiger, but will wait for the bugs to be stampeded first.

Deef

...so this week's Tiger debut offers enterprise customers a viable desktop choice over Windows for the first time in a decade...
I swear I read almost this exact quote at least once every time there's a decimal upgrade to OS X.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Am I just misunderstanding this, or is Apple really planning on releasing an OS version that can run cross-platform? :confused:

Phil, I'm sure you've misunderstood.

Best,

Geoff

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/NoMacVsPC.jpg

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Well, there you go. I didn't know that stampede could be used as a transitive verb: to cause a stampede. I only knew it as a noun and an intransitive verb: to flee in panic. I stand corrected!

Originally posted by Deef:

Since nits must be picked, there is nothing illogical or metaphorically mixed about the roar of a tiger stampeding a herd of longhorns. :cool:

v. stam·ped·ed, stam·ped·ing, stam·pedes

v. tr.

1. To cause (a herd of animals) to flee in panic.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived