Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sorry, but bunk is bunk...RANT

"Silver conductor,"

OK That means SILVER....not COPPER, or so it would seem.

"

low capacitance, extra-wide bandwidth digital interconnect for precision performance"

Umm, sure that's what a decent shielded cable does...

"Digital audio will never be the same."

We've already established that postulation with our brand, silver not copper...

"Monster has taken oxygen-free copper and covered it with a polished silver surface for ultra-fast rise time and detailed, transparent sound."

That makes the opening statement totally false...

Plated is not the same as solid, don't these guys watch Antique Road Show? That's interesting however, as the purveor of this brand once dissed silver as complicating skin effect, to a room full of cadets of the outbound calling kind at one of the legendary favorite places to buy gear.

I guess he learned it's not nice to fool mother nature (silver is 7% less resistant than copper, high school physics)

"...Close-tolerance impedance and extra-wide band-width exceeds AES/EBU specifications for 110-ohm digital systems for the best musical performance."

The specification for AES/EBU is set at 110 OHM, Paul du Gre' told me once that it actually floats depending on several factors between 85 ohm and 130 ohm, give or take.

"Dense copper braid and 100% foil shield minimizes leakage and outside interference."

Well, if we built an AES/EBU cable any other way, it wouldn't work properly, good they understand that much engineering...

"Heavy-duty black Neutrik XLRs with gold contacts provide a superior connection"

The guys at Martinsound, actually can tell when they are going through Gold pins versus the Coin Silver pins on their Neutriks.

WE Built them a sample using our (brand solid silver) using a pair of their coin silver Neutriks.

Gold doesn't tarnish, but silver, even if it does, will still conduct.

The whole gold pins thing, is somewhat of a fallacy.

Paul and I visited the Neutrik booth at AES a couple years ago and the guy there was telling us that Aviation headsets, were moving back to nickel plugs, because the electrolysis caused a patina on gold, requiring more frequent maintenance.

Sorry to rant, but as usual, marketing feeds on it's own hype for these folks, they appear to condone mistated jargon...

In the AM, I'm driving to NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) the largest trade show in the entire Pro business.

Thes folks use more digital cable the Carter has pills.

It's in Vegas, we'll be there, Whirlwind, Gepco, Rapco/Horizon, LIberty but Monster won't be.

One might ask them exactly how pro do you go?

FWIW

Rob at (brand)

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't I hear you brother, and it's sad how many buy into the Monster hype and bs. Bottom line IMHO is they make an inferior product at an inflated price that sells because of great PR and marketing, and that's it. I can't begin to tell you how many high end monstor cables i've repaired over the years to find crappy soldering, improper jacket/shield trimming (resulting in little to no strain relief) and a host of other basic assembly mistakes.

Give me a good spool of cable and a pile of good connectors and I'll make you bullet proof cabing that will pass anyones audio muster. We make everything inhouse, and always will.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

The first time I crossed paths with [that company], my BS meter pinned.

But, you know, pretty soon their cyber goon squad will be in here telling us how they haven't really sued as many companies for using as people say, actually only 47 (or was that 147)... the other hundreds of legal actions were just cease and desist orders. (Including, if I recall, c-and-d's to PBS's Cookie Monster and some little cafeteria in podunkville advertising "Monster Shrimp".)

A charming company.

I only use Switchcraft.

As for the digital, if it gets to the other end, it sounds good. Usually, the input circuitry is what does the magic. The signal gets squared up and reclocked.

Even with digital video formats (200 times the data) a fairly sloppy signal can be cleaned up right quickly with standard, off-the-shelf IC's. The cabling is made well, but not obsessed over. Nor to friggin NASA standards. If cabling was so overwhelmingly critical to a signal, then something wasn't engineered very well.

Digital Audio, by comparison, is a piece of cake.

There's a strong similarity between the claims and "teachings" of Monster, and the various religions. Might be a good Master's thesis in there somewhere...

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

Archived