Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

any solutions that work for baldness?

Originally posted by HiRoller:

Cut it short or shave it, end of story. Accept that your hair is thinning and move on (mine is getting pretty thin too).

Everyone tells me this, but it's not how I operate. Can't accept it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shampooing 3 or more times a week with a GOOD shampoo (I second the mention of Nioxin) will do wonders. If you study the info on the back of a rogain bottle you will see that much of the 'magic' comes from using it several times a week, and very similar results come from just washing your hair more often.
"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

That reminds me, avoid commercial shampoos like the plague. They have alot of harsh chemicals in them, from what I recall some sulfate/sulfur type stuff. Go for something mostly or all natural, especially with Aloe Vera.

Of course everyone's got an opinion...

20/20 or something did a big story on the billion dollar shampoo industry during this past year and after having a bunch of dermatologists on the air showing the studies after comparing all the products shown on the show, the conclusion was that a one dollar bottle of shampoo does the same thing as a fifteen dollar bottle. On the dead hair and on the living scalp. It all gets washed away so fast that even the stuff left on 15 minutes for "repairing" processes, didn't do anything. They all clear away the same stuff from your hair and leave virtually nothing behind after water does it's job.

Although the more expensive shampoos were much better at clearing money away from your wallet or purse.

I'm going bald and have been getting my hair cut shorter and shorter. It doesn't make me look like a bouncer though, more like a slightly dangerous stamp collector. Lately I've said to myself "self, get back to your old hippie days before your youth is gone forever". To this end I've let the little bit I have left grow freely and it looks fairly good, in an early middle aged college professor sort of way. When it goes completely I won't worry about it, it's had a good innings. I'm sure glad I didn't lose it in my insecure twenties, though.

Originally posted by BOOKUMDANO:

the conclusion was that a one dollar bottle of shampoo does the same thing as a fifteen dollar bottle. On the dead hair and on the living scalp. It all gets washed away so fast that even the stuff left on 15 minutes for "repairing" processes, didn't do anything. They all clear away the same stuff from your hair and leave virtually nothing behind after water does it's job.

Exactly.

There are no 'over the counter' treatments for hairloss. You might be able to slow it down for a time, but ultimately, if your hair is not genetically resistant to dihydrotestosterone, that hair is going. That's the simple truth.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I have a receding hairline. I've tried Rogaine and did nothing for me. I've read (maybe even on the Rogaine instructions) that Rogaine works more for bald spots and not receding hairline.

I did some research last year about alternatives and found a forum where folks talked about their experiences. There were many guys who was in a strict regimen of pills and seemed obsessed by it and even though it affected their sex drive, they still did it. As someone else said, what's the point? No pills for me.

I read about hair transplants, too, and didn't want to end up with scars or a small "island" of hair on the top of my forehead (as my hairline is still receding and I'm close to 40). No transplants for me.

I decided to just let nature take its course. I keep my hair very short - down to a #1. I like keeping my hair short instead of bald because it's easier maintenance. If I go bald, I'd have to shave it pretty frequently to keep it bald. Leaving it short, I can still go 2-3 weeks before buzzing it, which I do myself now.

I'm happy with my decision.

BTW, I think male baldness heredity is on your mother's side.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Originally posted by Rim:

BTW, I think male baldness heredity is on your mother's side.

I dunno, all these facts/myths I hear about are usually debunked. I just don't care where/how it comes, but I care if I'm affected!

Originally posted by Phait:

Oh I dunno. See Stephen Fortner seems to have the right face/head for the shaved look, me I'm a horseface so it doesn't work.

Nahhh...you'd have a little bit of a John Malkovitch thing there, Phait. You'd be fine. Not that you look like John Malkovitch...but you could probably pass for his kid brother or something. He doesn't have much hair.

Don't sweat it. Grow a goat and shave your head.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

"solutions that work for baldness?"

INSTANT BALDNESS - fastest method i heard of!

The Tool

http://www.jamesarnold.org/files/matches.gif

The Manual

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/fun/devivals/BM2001/BM-Sub-logos/bd_burningHead02.jpg

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/fun/devivals/BM2001/BM-Sub-logos/bd_burningHead03.jpg

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Archived