Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig, on Sequoia, not the chief or the tree

Opinion?

I'm two Raptors, a Panasonic DV/CD writer and a power supply away from building my PC.

I'm a Cubase person and am considering Nuendo but...

One of my associates feels another platform might be in order.

What's your take, midi sequencing, scoring etc, versus the feature set of Sequoia?

Others chime in as you feel compelled.

I'm off to Death Valley for 4 days...it's an every hundred year, wildflower season, 8 plus inches of rain so far and folks headed in from all over the world, botanists looking for that flower never seen and such...photographers, etc...

I'll check back next week.

Thanks,

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sequoia is top notch...and top bucks.

Why not check out it's smaller brother...Samplitude?

Same audio engine...same in a lot of areas....with Sequoia being the better choice if you are going to do more serious mastering/DVD kinda' stuff.

Go to the Samplitude.com website and compare the two.

I have Sam 7...it's a great audio app!!!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I am about to receive V8 and can give a more informed opinion then, because I've been told that the things I found limiting in V7 are present in V8.

But I'll tell you one thing: It's stable, it sounds good, it has a ton of functionality. Unless you really need what Sequoia has to offer (e.g., multi-point editing for dialog - brilliant if you edit dialog!!!!!!), Samplitude will do the job for you.

I have Nuendo and Samplitude 7.23 Samplitude is a great program. I'm suprised it's not more popular than it is. BUT

If you do any kind of extensive midi it's lightyears behind Nuendo and Sonar. If you do mostly audio it's killer. The object editing is way cool.

I don't have V8 but there have been postings on the Samplitude forums about it being buggy Hopefully someone with V8 will answer for you.

It's a bit of an odd app understand the workflow at first but their support forums are good.

I know a lot of people say that in theory all daws should sound the same but I for one am convinced Samplitude does sound better. I've done some side by side comparisons with tracks in Samplitude and a few other apps and Samplitude always sound better, clearer for lack of a better word. And this has nothing to do with different pan laws or or one daw being a few db hotter than the other.

They do have a demo you can take for a test spin. Just keep in mind that out of the box Samplitude takes more getting use to than other Daws.

http://www.samplitude.com/de/dwnloads.htm

For mostly audio Samplitude Highly Reccommended

If you need more than basic midi I would consider Cubase or Nuendo

One more thing, there might be some good crossgrade offers floating around. I bought Samplitude through a crossgrade offer for $300.00 through audiomidi.com.

Originally posted by dman:

One more thing, there might be some good crossgrade offers floating around. I bought Samplitude through a crossgrade offer for $300.00 through audiomidi.com.

Same here...I bought mine from 8th Street Music at crossgrade price...think it was like $300-$400...?

I don't even bother with MIDI in Sam...I just use it like a mutlitrack recorder...and it does sounds wonderful...and I don't have super high-end A/D/A boxes either...I just use 3 Layla24 boxes, running into a Dell Precesion dual 933 PIII with a Gig of RAM...and I have dual 21" monitors off of a Matrox 450.

Runs very smooth...good track counts...no real config issues...and it a very nice sound!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Thanks for the concise explanatives...

I'll be attending a demo session for UA, Synthax, Dangerous, Magix, EMS with Dave Hampton and John Barnes on Friday, starting at 4:00 P. M. at Chalice studio here in L.A. CA.

Hopefully, they will be running this software at some point.

Space limited I'm told anyone serious and in town, RSVP with Terry Hardin, terry@uaudio.com

Thanks for the ideas.

The question remains, ancillary software for sequencing, scoring? SX, will it dovetail?

I guess I'll ask the reps at the demo unless you folks chime in.

Craig...mucho el-thanko.

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

The question remains, ancillary software for sequencing, scoring? SX, will it dovetail?
If you mean is it easy to go back and forth between the apps the answer is yes. I've done it via 32 bit float broadcast wave export/import and I've done a few SMF transfers too. Though I will say that I got frustrated with the midi in samplitude so I've never spent the time to troubleshoot the problems it was quicker to do it in Nuendo. From what I hear Samplitude/SequioaV8 the midi is better than V7 but still not up to par with other apps out there.

You know too bad the major daws can's be rewired together that would be cool.

BTW. Your gonna love the stock effects and impulses, I've heard the new Analog suite kills. This is the kind of thing to me that sets Magix apart from the rest of the herd.

Craig, on Sequoia, not the chief or the tree
I thought Craig bought a Toyota SUV. :freak:

Has anyone else played with Traction? Craig? I've been enjoying it profusely. Simple, effective interface. And now I need to check out version 2.0. Any thoughts?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

<>

Actually, I have a 2000 VW bug (diesel, 44-50 MPG!). It's the second car I've owned. The first was a 1966 VW bug. When it finally fell apart, I figured that it had served me well enough that a little brand loyalty was in order :)

BTW Rob I hear that V8 has beefed up MIDI. My eval copy of Samplitude just arrived, so I guess I'll find out soon.

• 2 months later...

The Samplitude is wiating at my house, it arrived while I've been on trade show patrol (InfoComm) in Vegas...

Thanks for the expertise folks.

The demos been cool except for MIDI here one day gone the next but that is fixed in V 8 pro so I'm told.

Now, let's hope it loads without too much hand wringing although the folks at Syntax are very responsive...

R

<

Actually I reviewed Tracktion and did a Power App Alley on it for EQ. I just got 2.0 a while ago and the improvements are impressive. It's fast and stable, for sure. It also boils operations down to very simple steps, and the series/parallel FX plug-in routings are extremely cool and as far as I know, unique to Tracktion. I think for a large number of people doing sequencing, Tracktion would be all they really needed.

Tracktion reminds me of those variants on Windows 98 that stripped out all the bells and whistles to leave just the core of the operating system, thus giving far more efficient operation.

Thanks for your input, Craig.

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade or go another direction.

To be honest, they've only offered Tracktion 1 users a $30, mail-in rebate and now it's sold only in a package from retailers. :mad:

I was looking forward to some instant gratification through download, which is how I received my copy of version 1. If you haven't seen my posts regarding my loathing for mail-in rebates, let me just say that I usually turn around and walk away from anything claiming to offer a discount via mail-in rebate as I've been screwed out of hundreds of dollars by companies from software to Sears.

So my use of Tracktion may be relegated to version 1, for which I still have an extra license.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived