Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How low can I go?

I would post this in the guitar forum no one likes me over there. Anyway, I am wondering how heavy a gauge of string I can put on my baritone guitar without having problems? Right now I use a .74 on the low string and I tune to drop A (A D A D G B). I want to tune down to G and use an .80. Do you think this will be ok or could it hurt the neck? (28" scale)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not feeling the love?

Necks are pretty resiliant. Neck angle and pocket height (if it is a bolt-on), relief (truss rod adjustment), nut height/nut string-slot depth, saddle height/string-slot depth, pickup height, etc. may have to be addressed.

I'm with you on heavier strings on baritones.

Bbach a loo bach a wam bam boom,

lol.....i was just kidding. But I do like it here the best. :)

Hey, Doug. What do you mean when you say "etc. may have to be addressed."?

You mean it's possible but I have to be cautious?

I figured since it has such a long scale it could handle it fine. I even found that D'addario makes an .80

I do actually get better and more responses here on guitar-related questions than on the Guitar Forum, but to be fair, I rarely post there.

You might want to ask a guy at a guitar shop just to make sure. I had someone - what's the phrase? - retruss the rod or make some sort of adjustment to the rod of my 1967 SG when I wanted to put .12s on it. I realize that this is a lightweight guitar, so on some guitars, you might not have to do this.

Archived