Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Consoles

hi every one. I have been reading about large format consoles. I have some questions.

What are busses?

Waht are groups?

Why some consoles have more aux sends than returns?

Why do we need mute automation in a consoles?

do you have one? how do you use it?

Thanks.

Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Dr. Teeth, that's a book's worth of info. You need to find a basic primer on recording consoles before tackling all of these details at once.

- Jeff

Yeah I know we could talk about it for long posts. But i just wanted to know a brief concept fo what those specs are and what are their porpuses. :wave:
Rebuilding My Self

Busses are the summing amps that do the actual "mixing" of the mixer channels. You can assign channels to one or more different busses depending on the capabilities (and purpose) of the mixer. (Surround mixing requires far more complex routing/bussing and panning capabilities.)

Many mixers offer more sends than returns to offer greater flexibility. You might use some aux sends to create separate headphone feeds for different instrumentalists or for effects routing where the return from the effect is simply routed to a spare channel on the mixer.

Some sophisticated mixers allow you to control a group with one fader (and, in the old days, when complex mixes had to be done by hand with no automation, folks used to sometimes use an aux to create their own group, coming back in on a single fader or pair of faders.)

Originally posted by theblue1:

Busses are the summing amps that do the actual "mixing" of the mixer channels. You can assign channels to one or more different busses depending on the capabilities (and purpose) of the mixer. (Surround mixing requires far more complex routing/bussing and panning capabilities.)

Many mixers offer more sends than returns to offer greater flexibility. You might use some aux sends to create separate headphone feeds for different instrumentalists or for effects routing where the return from the effect is simply routed to a spare channel on the mixer.

Some sophisticated mixers allow you to control a group with one fader (and, in the old days, when complex mixes had to be done by hand with no automation, folks used to sometimes use an aux to create their own group, coming back in on a single fader or pair of faders.

Thanks a lot you guys, thats want i wanted to know. :thu:
Rebuilding My Self

Busses with regards to mixers, are like actual busses that carry many people to one destintion, but instead of people, it carries signals.

I'll use my Mackie 24 x 8 x 2 as an example.

Let's say you have 24 seperate inputs, and you want to route them to eight channels of a 8 track recorder. So you'll need 8 seperate outputs to go from the mixer to the recorder. With 8 busses you have the choice on where to send each one of the 24 inputs. You can send them all to one of the eight outputs, or direct them to any of the outputs you want. Having 8 busses gives you those routing options.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

Busses with regards to mixers, are like actual busses that carry many people to one destintion, but instead of people, it carries signals.

I'll use my Mackie 24 x 8 x 2 as an example.

Let's say you have 24 seperate inputs, and you want to route them to eight channels of a 8 track recorder. So you'll need 8 seperate outputs to go from the mixer to the recorder. With 8 busses you have the choice on where to send each one of the 24 inputs. You can send them all to one of the eight outputs, or direct them to any of the outputs you want. Having 8 busses gives you those routing options.

Thanks a lot. And for recording porpuses some consoles have direct output for each channel right? they are post fader i guess.
Rebuilding My Self

Some do, some don't, you have to look at each mixer individually, to see exactly what each mixer is set up like, and if it'll do what you want it to.

My Mackie 24 x 8 was specifically designed to be used in a 8-24 track recording senario.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Archived