Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Save files under Media Players (Windows)

Hi, My problem is simply that I am no longer able to find or use the "File /save as" function in Windows Media Player. It does no longer offer this feature (?!) Do you know how to restore it?. This is particularly a problem for example when trying to save on my PC a demo/song downloaded from MP3.com for instance : I have now to re-download each I want to listen to it.... Thnks for your help! Alex

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume that you installed Media Player 7, eh? Chances are you still have the old Windows Media Player on your system as well, so try accessing it by going to Start->Run and typing in mplayer2 in the run box. This should do the trick. -Dylan

Hey Ali, Don't forget the files will be in your temporary internet file (IE) folder, or cache (Netscape) so you can save them from there to where ever you want. I never done that before...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

It's been a while, but I recall some files disallowing the save feature, in order to keep you from saving their examples. As Daklander pointed out, I was able to find the temporary file and resave it to a normal folder with the proper extension. I also had Quicktime commandeer my .jpg's when I installed it. When I removed the program, I had to reassign the .jpg suffix back to my photo edit program. Have you uninstalled another Media Player?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]I also had Quicktime commandeer my .jpg's when I installed it. When I removed the program, I had to reassign the .jpg suffix back to my photo edit program. Have you uninstalled another Media Player?[/b][/quote] Neil, I've had the same problem with Quicktime and also Real Audio. It's now Real One & worse. It keeps trying to update, and tosses me a message window every now & again even though I disabled everything I could find. Quicktime I just un installed. Hell it took over my mp3 streaming & wouldn't actually stream & wouldn't actually disable the takeovers. They're both a royal pain in the butt. As you said, some files can't be saved, even from the temp folder, but most of those I've found were actually just a link to the site. Some Real Audio, Quicktime & Liquid Audio are the ones that seem to be blocked but the quality isn't that great anyway. I also use MusicMatch for encoding & I had to dis-able everything there too, 'cause it wanted to take over everything under the sun. At least with it the disable allowed me to work with the programs I want. I never done that before...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Also, make sure the file associations for WMP are not conflicting with another program (such as EZ-CD). ;) And, if you're using Windows, why not just right click mouse on the file link, get the 'Run from Current Location/Down Load to ...' (or WHATEVER the exact wording is :eek: ) dialogue Window, and download it to a new folder you create just for your WMP files. IF you can do that, then just 'Open' the file from that folder, and you should be all good. :D

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

[quote]Originally posted by daklander: [b]...As you said, some files can't be saved, even from the temp folder, but most of those I've found were actually just a link to the site. Some Real Audio, Quicktime & Liquid Audio are the ones that seem to be blocked but the quality isn't that great anyway I also use MusicMatch for encoding & I had to dis-able everything there too, 'cause it wanted to take over everything under the sun. At least with it the disable allowed me to work with the programs I want. I never done that before...[/b][/quote] I've dumped all but Realplayer, and I loaded the latest Win Mediaplayer to grab wavs and mpegs. Musicmatch was a pain, to me. I encode in my multitrack program, n-Track Studio. I'm not a programmer, but apparently the streaming media buffers bit by bit. You never really have the file saved, even in the Temp. Internet File folder, I believe. Can anyone verify if this is the case? :confused:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil: Real Player is the WORST pice of shit you can put on you machine, besides AOHell!! :eek: It TRIES to default as the player for EVERYTHING, AND, if you don't catch it and tell it NOT to do that when you install it, you usually have to un-install it, and reinstall it again, and make sure you catch it THAT time!! :rolleyes: Windows Media Player, is not only MUCH easier to use and change file associations, but has 'SRS', and 'Tru-Bass' sound enhancment features, but an EQ (graphic), and Video controls included in the FREE version!! ;) It also LOOKS and SOUNDS WAY better, as well!! ;) :D THE BEST, maybe ONLY thing) Bill Gates every produced that was any good!! :rolleyes: Oh yea, IF it's not already available, a Mac version soon will be for you Apple guys!! ;)

Bob Buontempo.

[quote]Originally posted by THE MIX FIX: [b]Neil: Real Player is the WORST pice of shit you can put on you machine, besides AOHell!! :eek: ... ...Windows Media Player, is not only MUCH easier to use and change file associations, but has 'SRS', and 'Tru-Bass' sound enhancment features, but an EQ (graphic), and Video controls included in the FREE version!! ;) It also LOOKS and SOUNDS WAY better, as well!! ;) :D ...[/b][/quote] I agree, entirely. The worst part is, I'm connected on a 56k modem. Real player is almost completely useless to me. My first gig with Lila McCann, in July, 1999, was broadcast at LiveOnTheNet.com. I attempted to access the show at home, a few months later. Mostly it kept buffering, then playing audio while the video showed me approx. 2 frames every 3-4 seconds. This was supposed to be the revoloutionary product that would allow real time broadcast on the net? Not until we're all on broadband! :( And you can't exaggerate how bad the quality is, either! :mad: I watch .mpg's, div-x, listen to .wavs and .mp3's on Win Media Player. It's wonderful. :)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil: Also, Real Player has that 'Sure Stream' shit, which changes bandwidth and frequency response, as your connection speed slows down when Internet traffic clogs it up!! :p :rolleyes: Try giving a MUCH bigger buffer size to your Windows Media Player, and, even if you have to wait 5 minutes for it to start playing, you'll, at LEAST, get uninterrupted sound/video, until the buffer runs out!! ;) :D

Bob Buontempo.

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b] I encode in my multitrack program, n-Track Studio. [/b][/quote] I use n-Track Studio for most of my recording & love it but I've never been able to encode a clean mp3 copy with it so I bought MusicMatch for that. It's also very fast for burning cd's but there are some foibles to put up with but the overall speed blows away Easy CD Creator & Nero. If there's a secret or trick I'm missing with n-Track encoding, let me know. One other thing I use, in conjunction with n-Track is a "Acoustica". It's really quick and easy to modify, mute sections & etc. on WAV files. I have Sound Forge, Cakewalk & Cool Edit & always go back to n-Track Studio. I never done that before...

Our Joint

Sound Forge at [b](EDITED, because my [i]TYPO[/i] was caught by NYC DREW)[/b] :o :eek: :rolleyes: 320kbps does a REAL clean job of encoding MP3s!! ;) JUST watch your levels (err on the LOW side), and do any Compression, EQ, Limiting and Noise Reduction you might need BEFORE you encode. ;) You can do it afterwards, as well, if necessary!! ;) [ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: THE MIX FIX ]

Bob Buontempo.

Thanks for that Bob, I'll give it a shot. I've not been able to have win player do the ra stuff. Did I miss something when I upgraded??? I never done that before...

Our Joint

[quote]Originally posted by daklander: [b] I use n-Track Studio for most of my recording & love it but I've never been able to encode a clean mp3 copy with it so I bought MusicMatch for that. It's also very fast for burning cd's but there are some foibles to put up with but the overall speed blows away Easy CD Creator & Nero. If there's a secret or trick I'm missing with n-Track encoding, let me know. One other thing I use, in conjunction with n-Track is a "Acoustica". It's really quick and easy to modify, mute sections & etc. on WAV files. I have Sound Forge, Cakewalk & Cool Edit & always go back to n-Track Studio. I never done that before...[/b][/quote] Oddly enough, my n-Track encoded .mp3's sound fine on my computer, but I've sent out several to friends and they always complain of distortion and poor sound quality. I have no idea why. :confused: Since they sound fine on my computer, I can't just listen and experiment with different data rates. Where can I find Acoustica? MixFix, Are you saying Win Mediaplayer can run Real Audio files? If so, how can I redirect websites to open WM instead of Real? Just uninstall what's left of Real from the computer? Thanks for the tips.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I THINK Real Media Files HAVE to be played by Real Player, IF they are encoded as such. :eek: If NOT, when you FIRST set up Windows Media Player, under 'Options', then 'File Associations' you get to choose what files will default to use Windows Media Player as the software that will play them. IF you see any Audio, Video, .AVI, .MP3s, or ANY .RA or .RM (Real) files, and can associate them to play on WMP, then do it, and see if your Real Files THEN play on WMP, especially any from the sites that you refered to that currently do NOT let WMP play Real files. As far as the distortion on the MP3s, try encoding at lower volumes, and then keep [b]sending[/b] the resulting files to yourself, until you get one that doesn't distort when YOU play it. You can also add compression, noise reduction, etc., until you get a file, that when sent to yourself, sounds good. THEN, hopefully, the files should be good for anyone to whom you send them!! ;) [ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: THE MIX FIX ]

Bob Buontempo.

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b] Oddly enough, my n-Track encoded .mp3's sound fine on my computer, but I've sent out several to friends and they always complain of distortion and poor sound quality. Where can I find Acoustica? [/b][/quote] The mp3 problem went away as soon as I went to MusicMatch. I tried everything I could think of on n-Track, low volumes, different encoding depth & etc. Nothing worked & that's why I switched. There's another one called NexEncode that's pretty good but the defaults need to be set as soon as you open it. It's set to do some weird things, like delete the wav file as soon as the encoding is done. If you can't find it holler, I think I still have the program burned on a cd. It's a freeware encoder & small enough to email. Acoustica can be found here: http://www.aconas.de/ It's $15.00 now but well worth it if you do nothing else but silence noise with it. I never done that before... [ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: daklander ]

Our Joint

Good idea, MixFix! (But I already talk to myself WAY too much to be emailing back and forth to.. Me! ;) ) I'll check out the software, Daklander. MP3's only concern me when I'm sharing with my family and friends in other states. Not that important right now. Thanks.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Drew: Well, I [b]ONLY[/b] go for the [b]BEST!![/b] :eek: YOU should KNOW that, by now!! ;) Actually, I REALLY MEANT [b]320Kbps[/b]!! It was just a [i]typo[/i], you [b]KNOW[/b] that!! BUT, my cable access [b]DOES[/b] give me 8.5MBps downloads, and 9.5kBps uploads!! :p :D Poor Dr. G. Mass ONLY has dual T-1 lines, with, what, a measly 1.5MBps rate??!! :( :p :rolleyes: ;) [ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: THE MIX FIX ]

Bob Buontempo.

Archived