Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ticket Tout/Scalper Problems

Hi people

I got this forwarded to me and thought it might be of some interest to you.

Stop The Touts Petition

Website & Info

The main moan here is that gigs will sell out within hours of the tickets going on sale only for hundreds of tickets to appear on sites like eBay with a huge mark up. It is becoming a major problem here. These guys say they will present this petition to the UK Government.

I don't suppose it would do any harm to 'sign' the petition would it? Go on. Even if you're not in the UK.

John Scott

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a monopoly here in the US, too: Ticketmaster. U2 tickets, for example, were gone in minutes for four Southern California arena shows, appearing immediately on eBay.

We have the extra layer of problems here in SoCal: industry seats. Record labels, band management, etc., give or sell seats in their block at face value, but these are usually good seats that never make it to Ticketmaster. Sometimes I benefit from these (I don't know anyone, but I know people who know people) and sometimes I'm just stymied. I hope these monopolistic buisnesses are properly regulated for fairness, at the very least.

It's actually worse than this, these legal scalpers (Ticketmaster et al) arrange ahead of time what tickets they will get, often days before they go on sale to the general public.

They should all be lined up and shot IMHO. It is basically impossible for the general public to buy good seats for face value.

the exception is production release tickets that go onsale unbenounced to the public within a few hours of the concert events. These are tickets set aside for band or label guestlist that are unused. They go to the box office, and anyone can walk up and purchase them for no additional fees except the face value of the ticket. I've been in the front rows for some major artists like this. It's a crapshoot, so don't be thinking date night, as you may strike out, but if you are willing to take the gamble and show up at the right time (usually around 5-6pm for a 7:30ish show) you can get killer seats for face value.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Well, beyond what people do of their own avariciousness & besides the "corporate scalpers" (Ticket Master, et al.) I believe that many/most venues actively support this practice by offering tickets to individuals or services that then market them regularly thorugh newspapers & online at inflated prices.

It's the only way to explain certain sources consistently having top flight seats for venues & for them to never get shut down.

While hopeful, I'm sceptical that any law will change that.

Thanks for the support so far. I don't even know the people doing this petition by the way, but I'm grateful to those of you who have signed it.

I agree about all the TicketMaster comments. There are similar companies here too. I can somewhat accept a small booking fee above face value, but what the heck are "service charges!?" Then you have credit card charges and delivery costs if that's the way you buy your tickets. It's a joke.

Nick - I am aware of the late release tickets. I too have benefitted from them, but they are only of use to those who live near the venue. Imagine travelling 100 miles to take a chance like that!

d - I'm also unsure that a law will change the trend, but it can't do any harm trying to raise the profile of the problem can it!?

Thanks again

Done!

BTW, if anyone is going to the Isle of WIght festival this year, buy through Red Funnel Ferries website, booking fee is a fairly reasonable £3 per ticket, a LOT cheaper than Tickemaster....! :thu:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

• 3 weeks later...
Let me get a little more sober tomorrow, and I'll post either the text or a link... seems Clear Channel is going to revamp how they handle tickets, and it would seem to be in our (the little guy) favor. Article in today's paper.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived