Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Annoying Sonar problem/bug/thing

Hi People

Dunno how to explain this quickly, so I'll describe what was happening in a recent session.

I had 3 guitars grouped together to make level changes easier and was recording vocals. I comped together a few vocal takes using "Bounce To Clips." Everything works fine but for some reason the grouped guitars jump up to 0dB.

This happens every single time I use Bounce To Clips and I have tracks grouped.

The easy work around is to take a note of the level of one of the grouped faders before bouncing, but does anyone here have any idea why this is happening or what I can do about it? I'm (still) using Sonar 2.0 on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

John Scott

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayne, it's always fun to tell someone who's having trouble with his tools to buy the tools you use -- but not particularly helpful to his immediate suggestion.

John

Is there a reason you haven't updated to 2.2 yet? I'm a little hazy, but, if I recall correctly, there were some significant fixes in there. I quickly scoped the CW site and it looks like the 2.2 patch is still there, but you might have to hunt around for the 2.1 patch which it requires.

I can't say that's the answer to your particular problem, but getting up to date is a good starting place.

I think you want to use bounce to track, not bounce to clip. When you bounce to track, the tracks are mixed together. If the tracks are at fairly high levels, mixing them will cause the output to exceed 0 dB.

There's an easy way to check this. When you bounce, a dialog box opens up that shows the sources for the tracks or buses (for example, Master bus). That's where you need to check that the levels are okay. If the signal is overloading there, the bounce will be overloaded as well.

Hope this helps. Also, of course make sure that you've selected only the tracks you want to bounce.

Originally posted by theblue1:

I can't say that's the answer to your particular problem, but getting up to date is a good starting place.

DOH! I'll do that.

djwayne: I didn't tell you what to do, I advised you, just like you've just advised me. Thanks :):wave:

Craig & Alndln. Thanks, but that's not it. The bounced track is always always fine. There's no clipping or anything. The bounced track is unaffected. It's the unrelated grouped tracks that jump up to zero and then I have to move them back down to where they should be.

It's more an annoyance than a serious problem really.

Archived