Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waaay OT: Barn architecture

In my many years as a musician and sales rep, I've logged a lot of windshield time thoughout the Midwest. One thing has always bugged me as I drive through rural farming areas; a lot of barns have crooked windows toward the peak. Now, most of these barns are quite old and were likely built entirely by hand. I don't get the reason for the crooked windows. I've thought that maybe it's for better ventilation but they're not any closer to the peak than a squared window could be. So given the great collective brain of this forum, are there any barn/farm/architecture experts out there that could ease my worried mind? :)

Here's what I'm talkin' about:

http://pictures.galenfrysinger.com/us/Kohler%20023.jpg

http://www.galen-frysinger.ws/us/sheboygan01.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Coaster:

i'd guess its just stylish, the lines match the roof line better.

barns are neat. i have a lifetime dream of turning an old barn into a functional three-level studio. never happen most likely.

Actually, if you look at the windows, they don't match the roof line and seem to be at an odd angle.

It could be a regional thing. Maybe there was a particular barn-builder or designer that used this as their trademark? I dunno, it just looks strange to me.

definitely strange. In the barns on the east coast, the "nails" are actually squared, pointed wooden stakes. It's pretty neat to enter a hugh structure that has no nails or metal holding it up.

Coaster- Thats sound slike a good dream. North of Philly it used to be in vogue to remodel the interior of a barn into a house. These barns are all finished and would be pretty easy to turn into a working studio.

Don't know much about Wisconsin barns. But if you don't find an answer here, you might try the University of Wisconsin extension

If you have any questions or comments about the Wisconsin Barn Preservation Program Web Site e-mail Chuck Law at cslaw@facstaff.wisc.edu.
I found it doing an image google for "barn".

What would you call the window? I tried searching for "keyhole" on a hunch but didn't find much to support that.

If those windows are put in horizontaly, a lot of junk collects on them and rots the pane. They are difficult to get at and so are mounted at 45 degrees to keep debris from collecting. Note that the top and bottom angles are mounted in the center of the barn side.

A square window would be used IF one was available. Most stock windows were made taller. A square window would also cost more and would need a special replacement.

It is somewhat regional as you won't find this throughout the country.

A modified installation with a stock (inexpensive) part.

I have no idea, but that's quite interesting!

I keep looking at these things thinking, "That would be cool to turn into a home with a large recording studio!"

Originally posted by Prague:

If those windows are put in horizontaly, a lot of junk collects on them and rots the pane. They are difficult to get at and so are mounted at 45 degrees to keep debris from collecting. Note that the top and bottom angles are mounted in the center of the barn side.

A square window would be used IF one was available. Most stock windows were made taller. A square window would also cost more and would need a special replacement.

It is somewhat regional as you won't find this throughout the country.

A modified installation with a stock (inexpensive) part.

That sounds like the best answer I've heard yet. Where did you learn this? Thanks!

Originally posted by spokenward:

Don't know much about Wisconsin barns. But if you don't find an answer here, you might try the University of Wisconsin extension

If you have any questions or comments about the Wisconsin Barn Preservation Program Web Site e-mail Chuck Law at cslaw@facstaff.wisc.edu.
I found it doing an image google for "barn".

What would you call the window? I tried searching for "keyhole" on a hunch but didn't find much to support that.

I've looked all over the UW extension site to no avail. I haven't asked Chuck Law personally yet though. That's a great suggestion. Thank you.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Aliens. I'd say aliens did it.

Nah. Aliens did this one, about 6 miles from where I grew up. Saucer influence is evident.

http://www.homestead.com/nittanymemories/files/2rb1dog.jpg

There was another about 12 miles away, but it fell into ruin.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived