Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smart AV Consoles: Hype or the "Real Deal?"

Those of you who attended the AES Show, did you check out the Smart AV console? http://www.smartav.net/

If so, what did you think about it? BTW, how much does this thing cost? Is it really a desk or just a "better mouse?" With everybody going to controllers and predicting the death of analog, is this even a practical item to own? Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of us mentioned it in the EQ magazine AES show reports. I really liked the "arc" and how you could just reach out and touch the channel(s) you wanted on the arc, and then they'd be on the control surface in front of you... and the "scribble strip in your own handwriting" was also very cool... but at $50,000 - $150,000, and with no Pro Tools support, and competition from SSL, Digidesign and several less expensive alternatives, they face a uphill struggle IMO.

I'd like to see them make a go of it though, if for no other reason than I like some of their design ideas.

The guys behind this design have many, many years behind them in conceptualizaion and design of this virtual console. Most of their wildest dreams have actually been incorporated into this design. Support for a wide variety of DAWs as well as input and output devices is planned.

Digi...well they won't talk to anyone about tight control of Pro Tools, so for the time being HUI will have to be enough.

One of the main designers behind that console is Michael Stavrou (Stav). He used to work for George Martin at Air Studios in Oxford Circus. He's the author of the current book "Mixing With Your Mind," and engineers for classical guitarist John Williams.

I don't know anything about the console except that I talked to Stav a few times via email and heard about the idea behind the ARC.

I wish them luck.

c-ya,

Dan Worley

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Doug, does it offer HUI emulation? I didn't think it did. Doesn't say anything about that in the lit, and neither did any of the reps at AES... at least to me.

It does work with Logic though.

I think Doug meant you're stuck with the HUI if you choose not to buy Digi's own consoles. (Procontrol, etc.) If I'm wrong, just say so, Doug

I've only seen the Smart console onlne. It looks fantastic, but I agree, without Pro-tools connectivity the market for a console at that price point appears to be virtually non-existant. Perhaps a few Nuendo and other system users will buy one, but I doubt they can support the price point without PT. Damn Digi. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Doug, does it offer HUI emulation? I didn't think it did. Doesn't say anything about that in the lit, and neither did any of the reps at AES... at least to me.

It does work with Logic though.

It doesn't yet, but I'm sure it will - I would bet that Digi will not soon allow any collaboration. I'm sure they want to sell a few Icons first.

and Neil

you're stuck with the HUI if you choose not to buy Digi's own consoles. (Procontrol, etc.)
of course is correct.

The list of compatible DAW software is interesting, especially the DSD and mastering-level stuff. Most mastering engineers use some sort of minimal analog mastering console, either custom made or limited-production, and if this thing is physically small enough (mastering engineers often rightly require that the mastering console have minimal acoustic impact) a control surface in this price range is not out of line.

Good point about mastering situations, however, I was under the impression that mastering usually entailed only a few channels, perhaps up to 8 if the master was a 7.1 mix. Do mastering engineers really need such an expansive console? :confused:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

... Do mastering engineers really need such an expansive console? :confused: [/QB]

Probably not many, I agree. Software like Pyramix and Sadie are often used in mastering, and it is supported by SAV. Some percentage of mastering is done this days from stems (it's controversial whether this will become standard practice), and more inputs can support this style of mastering. But then Klotz Digital Vadis is designed for Radio, and is the SAV a speedier/more ergonomic design for intuitive use? This is how SAV is spinning this product.

Archived