Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I don't get it.

I don't have a problem with a lively exchange of views. If someone asks a tough question, fine. If it gets answered, so much the better. If it doesn't, well, I'm sure I haven't answered every question ever directed at me on a BB. When the bouncing ball has moved on, it looks a little silly to sit there swinging at where it used to be.

And it'd be nice to see a basic level of politeness, too. (Not "political correctness," whatever that is these days -- just regular old politeness.) It makes me sad to see one or two folks obsessing on some of these issues.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I don't know who has better credentials, but I do know that there are a lot of really knowledgeable people here, including Bruce, and I for one greatly appreciate their collective wisdom and knowledge and am totally grateful. I think we have some interesting dialogues going (and a few insipid ones :D ) and I hope that the interesting ones continue.

Ken, I've been reading (and using) some of your knowlege for years here and elsewhere. I don't know you personally but I think I can safely say you are a very, very good engineer and I take note of most things you post. Bruce's presence here (or anyone else's for that matter) could never diminish you in my mind.

My point was to the mindless people who just gotta attack me and a few others because we show Bruce so much respect. It's crazy. We live and study and dream about doing the things he's done all the time knowing that for most it will never happen. It's like Tiger Woods said you gotta be very good and a little bit lucky. Somwhere there was probably a guy who could have made Michael Jordan look like a WBNA bench rookie but we never heard of him for whatever reason. He can't prove it because HE DIDN'T DO IT. That's just how life works. Those that do it get the accolades. I can live with that.

This is our profession and some pretend like there is no "Dr. J" of engineering (not saying Bruce is him) or there is no one (or two) man or woman (whoever they may be) who is just head and shoulders above most others. Wake up call... there is. In any profession or sport. If I meet him or her I'll be a little in awe and give more than the typical amount of respect and deference.

If a person's ego can't handle that he or she is gonna have problems.

Lawrence

I have to agree, Halljams and the rest of you who understand it wasn't that John Sayers dared to ask Bruce a question that challenged Bruce's statements. It was that John forgot this isn't a locker room and we don't (and I would guess Bruce doesn't) really give two cents about whose johnson is bigger.

Put the testosterone away, John. Suck it up and apologize for the obvious attitude in your question and ask it again, politely. You might be surprised by Bruce's reaction. Or maybe you won't. But Bruce hardly seems to be vindictive. Ball is in your court.

And whether you feel you're on par with Bruce's talent (and you may well be), that wouldn't make one iota of difference in how one ought to treat Bruce for his contributions to audio history.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by LawrenceF:

My point was to the mindless people who just gotta attack me and a few others because we show Bruce so much respect. It's crazy. We live and study and dream about doing the things he's done all the time knowing that for most it will never happen. It's like Tiger Woods said you gotta be very good and a little lucky.[/QB]

Yeah, I totally get what you are saying, and of course you are right that there are prominent engineers. But I'm just adding that there are a lot of "non-household-name" engineers who really know their stuff, and to give out props to them as well. I mean, you have people like Where and Phil and a bunch of others who seriously know their stuff, and I just want to take the time out to acknowledge all of them as well and just to get people to think more about respecting them, that's all. I think we're on the same page here!!

Oh, forgot to add two more things:

1. LawrenceF, thank you for the compliment.

2. John apologized in a very cool manner in another thread.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I think a lot of "non household name" engineers do get a lot of appreciation and respect for each other around here. Even to the point where we are sometimes accused of "ass kissing" for it. :rolleyes::D Oh well.

Now that's funny. LOL! ...but true. Here's the thing that some people (present company excluded of course) simply cannot handle...

The only difference between someone like Bruce S. and many fine engineers here is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Many have the potential aptitude to do what he has. Few get the opportunity. Think NEGRO LEAGUE BASEBALL and it'll all make sense.

Me? I thank my lucky stars for the net. I've learned more here than I could have otherwise. Thanks! I'm kissing up! Thanks... smooch... smooch... uh... did you wash your ass today? Taste's kinda...

...different! :)

But still good!

Lawrence

Ever wonder, "How'd they DO that?" or, "What's their secret?"

And it's great to pick up a newspaper or magazine that has an article that reveals it. Whatever it may be. The magazine Modern Photography had a few people on staff, one of which sent me a hand typed letter(back in '87)in response to one I wrote their magazine. This seasoned photographer nicely pointed out my misconceptions about a few things, and explained them in a way that was helpful and instructive. She even gave me a phone number to call and speak to her directly. Not only was it very helpful, but extremely considerate. We ended our conversation acknowledging that we each had a different idea as to what constituted photographic "art", but also agreeing that knowing all possible avenues to achieve that art was the important thing. You must get there the way YOU feel is good and right for you. But knowing other routes is helpful in finding that right road.

Mr. Swedien offered a few alternative routes, and the thanks he recieved from some people was a terse "fuck off, numbnuts!"

Don't like his ideas or methods? Then disregard them. Then go looking for another avenue. Certainly, don't berate someone who enjoys noted success in some field and offers hints and insight. There are lesser men who wouldn't even bother.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I don't know, maybe I'm a dork or something but I love reading the how they did its. Pro Sound and Front of House are great in that context. Tape Op has some good stuff in it to, as to how tos.

It's one great way to pick up some tips without doing the damage and learning the hard way. You don't have to do the stuff as is, but it's one hell of a great place to start from.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by theblue1:

I don't have a problem with a lively exchange of views. If someone asks a tough question, fine. If it gets answered, so much the better. If it doesn't, well, I'm sure I haven't answered every question ever directed at me on a BB. When the bouncing ball has moved on, it looks a little silly to sit there swinging at where it used to be.

And it'd be nice to see a basic level of politeness, too. (Not "political correctness," whatever that is these days -- just regular old politeness.) It makes me sad to see one or two folks obsessing on some of these issues.

I think my buddy Geoff addressed the issues of politeness and truth quite well in another thread:

Originally

posted

by Geoff Grace:

Personally, I think people deserve to be treated well regardless of whether

they're our peers or whether they're above or below us in society's hierarchy. I

think kindness is very important.

I also think truth is very important. So if we're talking about a kindness that

preempts truth, then my feeling is that we could do better. I think it's

possible to blend even unpleasant truth with kindness however. For example, one

could truthfully and kindly say, "I didn't care for that." On the other hand, it

would be less kind and possibly even less true to say, "that sucked." Why it's

less kind is probably obvious. Why it could also be less true would be if

"sucked" is being used as an absolute when in reality only an opinion is being

given.

I've been writing hypothetically until now because I haven't followed closely

enough to know what was or wasn't written in response to Bruce's posts.

However, to address this specific issue, I do believe that Bruce

does deserve respect for what he has accomplished. But more importantly,

Bruce deserves respect because we ALL deserve respect.

My two shiny copper Lincolns.

Best,

Geoff

Very well said Geoff. :wave:

Archived