Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To keep the peace on the forum..........

I've decided to take the 30 Band EQ that I've had in my system for years, out of my signal chain. After reviewing the benefits vrs, the potential drawbacks, with extra cabling, potential noise, and the value of the EQ, I'm taking it out and gonna trade it in for some new gear. Don't ask me what, as I haven't decided that yet. But the minor adjustments the eq was making, just isn't cost effective, and the eq can be put to better use as a trade in item. Maybe a new guitar amp ?? A new mic ?? A pre-amp ?? We'll see !!

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good choice, Wayne. EQ, er, make that frequency equalization, is the devil's work.

And nothing, it's seemed to me for a long time, is as frought with pitfalls and not-so hidden dangers as the dreaded multi-band, 'graphic' EQ.

But they are good teaching tools when properly labelled. :D

Originally posted by djwayne:

I've decided to take the 30 Band EQ that I've had in my system for years, out of my signal chain. After reviewing the benefits vrs, the potential drawbacks, with extra cabling, potential noise, and the value of the EQ, I'm taking it out and gonna trade it in for some new gear. Don't ask me what, as I haven't decided that yet. But the minor adjustments the eq was making, just isn't cost effective, and the eq can be put to better use as a trade in item. Maybe a new guitar amp ?? A new mic ?? A pre-amp ?? We'll see !!

I have a marshall 9000 pre-amp solidstate. wanna trade ? :)

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Good move. Only those adjustments aren't minor, they're an octave wide even if their at 1/3 octave centers.

If you need an EQ I vote for a parametric. I have a nice mono Rane one if you need it. I haven't used an EQ in a long time.

(and a 31 band Biamp graphic EQ if anyone needs that!)

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

When I say minor, just a few db's, the adjustments are barely audible, and soon forgotten when bypassed. Actual end resulting sound is not that much difference to warrant the eq. There's no major spikes that need correcting.

Doing the sound check with just test tones though, certainly shows you where the system drops out, and where and why a sub-woofer is needed. When you do an A/B test with and without a sub-woofer, you'll be amazed at how much sound is missing from standard cabinets that quit at the 45-100 hertz level. The sub I have, adds a rich tone all the way from 28 hertz, up to about 200 hertz, and is adjustable. The sub certainly adds alot to the overall sound.

Also, I'm running a 5.1 system, and to have an eq on just the front mains, doesn't make sense while playing back music in the 5.1 realm. So all in all, the system should sound more matched without the eq.

Sooo, I'm gonna try it like this for awhile, without the eq, and see how the mixes come out.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Archived