Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Ever gotten involved and wish you hadn't?

Have you ever gotten involved in a situation where a pet or a child was involved, or something like that... where somebody was doing something you felt was harmful to someone or something... and you regret getting involved? People shoot you these ays for all kinds of stuff. Just something to talk about. Any stories?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happened last year. I tried to help a puppy that was being neglected in my neighbor's yard--all day in rapidly dropping temperatures, freezing rain on the way, no food or shelter, visibly shaking and whimpering--and got taken to court for trespassing.

The quality of idiocy from my then-neighbor was simply astounding. When she finally came home, we told her we'd fed and wrapped the puppy, and she started screaming about me being on her property.

DA dropped the charges, but it took forever.

Lesson: Let animals suffer, because the humans will make your life even more miserable.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

Happened last year. I tried to help a puppy that was being neglected in my neighbor's yard--all day in rapidly dropping temperatures, freezing rain on the way, no food or shelter, visibly shaking and whimpering--and got taken to court for trespassing.

The quality of idiocy from my then-neighbor was simply astounding. When she finally came home, we told her we'd fed and wrapped the puppy, and she started screaming about me being on her property.

DA dropped the charges, but it took forever.

Lesson: Let animals suffer, because the humans will make your life even more miserable.

The thing to have done in that scenario was to call the animal control people, and let them know. They may have given you the go-ahead to protect the puppy and the neighbor would have been on the hook for animal cruelty.

Don't stop helping animals, just protecty youself first.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

When I was about 13 or 14, up the road where I lived there was a puppy in a similarly neglectful situation as offramp described. I rode my bike by the yard he was chained up in almost every day during summer vacation on the way to my summertime job. He hadn't been fed nor watered in who knows when, and it was hot out. Then one day i noticed that he was tangled up in his chain. The next day, he was still tangled up. And then the next day, he was *still* tangled.

So i crept up the road late that night and stole him.

Yep, that's theft, no bones about it. But i don't regret it for a second:

Clonk It

He looks a little happier there, i think. Turned out to be probably the best dog i've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He died a couple of years ago at the age of 12.

R.I.P. Jet The Frisbee Dog :cry:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

He looks a little happier there, i think. Turned out to be probably the best dog i've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He died a couple of years ago at the age of 12.

Good for you. I hope you got another dog afterwards. I have two and reckon a house with no dog is just a house, not a home. One of mine came from the I.S.P.C.A. and is the best doggie ever.

Good for you. I hope you got another dog afterwards. I have two and reckon a house with no dog is just a house, not a home. One of mine came from the I.S.P.C.A. and is the best doggie ever.

Well, since he was the family dog, after i left home he stayed w/ my parents. They did just recently get another dog, but after Jet they wanted to wait a while. It just seemed appropriate.

Fwiw, the ppl i stole him from never did get another dog, and that's good. Maybe they thought the ASPCA took him, i dunno. Maybe they were glad someone took him because he was too much work for them. I dunno.

Good for you to rescue a pet. I wish more people would do that. I guess ppl think that animal shelters are full of messed up animals, or something. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yeah, married my second wife. Who's crying now? Me. Kcbass

What's that supposed to mean? :(

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Offramp and Phaeton, you did the right thing ethically even though not legally. Life ain't so black and white, right?

I agree about pound puppies. We got ours from the local Humane Society ... she was on doggie death row (had been there a while, and they always have to "make room" for new inmates ... how depressing). My husband got her (his dog before we married) and said she chose him: the other dogs were barking at his presence, but she just walked up to the gate and licked him and wagged her tail.

And she is still the sweetest dog I think I've ever met. AND ... she's now 12, going on 13 years old, happy, if somewhat arthritic. We love her greatly ... Happy endings rule.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I think Bruce Swedien is due to feel like that about joining this forum, any day now.

BTW, Bruce, I've always wanted to know your stance on boxers vs. briefs...

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Odd this would happen now. I go walk my dog, I found a dog down the street with a leash on and the leash was stuck in somebody's flower bed timbers. Which was near an overturned trash can. I figure he was trying to get something to eat. Benji kind of dog. I tried to look at his collar but he tried to bite me. The homeowner came home, he tried, dog tried to bite him. He finally got the leash free. Tried to see if there is a tag, couldn't see one. He was going to take the leash off and let the dog go, said he might go home. Couldn't get to it without the dog snappying. Said he was going to call the dog pound. I didn't know what to do. Maybe if they get him, they will find a tag. Gave me a sad feeling, I love dogs. This guy was scared.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I know where you`re coming from. My neighbor insists on feeding the strays in her backyard which is directly behind mine so you can guess where the cats come to crap, piss, nap and yes, rest when they are ill. One even died in our backyard last year after a frigid night. I actually caught several kittens to clean out their eyes and noses of the mucus. Strays are often born with colds and some even die from no treatment of it so. I feel awful seeing these creatures suffer so at times I`ve been known to jump the fence and grab one at a time to clean them up and release them to the outdoors again. I don`t know if I`m actually helping them but its an awful site. Anyway, my neighbor has caught me several times and yelled at me. Her husband once knocked on my door and told me he agreed with me and asked me if I could help him gather the cats up and call the ASPCA but do you know how hard it is to catch a full grown stray? Besides dangerous? Besides we didn`t have cages and I wasn`t about to invest $60 in one so the strays are staying.

Originally posted by phaeton:

When I was about 13 or 14,

i crept up the road late that night and stole him.

Yep, that's theft, no bones about it. But i don't regret it for a second:

Clonk It

R.I.P. Jet The Frisbee Dog :cry:

HEY MAN I'm proud of you for doing such a thing. Took guts and foresight.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Archived