Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first attempt at furniture design

Actually, it's been finished for 9 months now, but I just got around to taking some pictures of it...

http://www.twilightmobile.com/images/daves-table.jpg

This is a "changing table" / dresser that I designed and my brother built for me. Its made of curly cherry hardwood and veneers.

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Mike! Are the drawer fronts curved too? It's not too easy to see in the photo. It looks like just the work surface is curved to me.

How did you make the drawers? Did you use dovetails or butt joints? (dovetails I hope!)

I am an avid woodworker too. I'm in the middle of making a nice chess board table that I designed for one of my sons. I'll post a piccy of it later. I have some of my earlier work on the web here . Any more pictures of your work?

:DTR

Mike, I think it's beautiful! And your brother does fine work. How much would you sell that puppy for? In the $400-500 range? I'd think you could make some good money. I like the rounded front edge of the table. Are those ridges in the top parts intended to insert changing pads?

That's fantastic! :thu:

Do any of your clients know you could be providing furniture for dressing rooms of your own design and your bro's build?

We outfitted Tim McGraw's personal and band dressing rooms and an understage green room with furniture and accent pieces last year. The producer updated it for Tim this year.

One of the pieces they wanted was a replica of a bar at the studio they recorded Tim's last album in. It was a faux piece, however. No working drawers. Just a place to put their drinks in the green room. But it had to be custom made.

You might be able to make some extra bucks and throw the manufacturing dollars to your brother.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks for the kind words guys...

Some background on the design:

I decided to custom build a changing table because both my wife and I are over six feet tall (me 6'6, her 6'1) and found that the standard height tables caused us to strain our backs leaning over to work on them. So i needed a higher surface. And I figured if I was going to go through the cost and hassle of custom building something, it should last longer than the few years that Jake will be in diapers. So i designed it in such a way that it could be used as a changing table and then morph into a dresser later...

DJDM: It's extremely solid, had a hard time getting up to the second floor nursery. I guess that's the price to pay for all the nice wide/thick surfaces..

DTR: The original design had curved drawers, but they were changed to flat fronts to speed build time. We used full extension hardware so that the drawers open past the curved over hang. The drawers were made with dado joints and are fully lined with melamine.

Bunny The ridges in the top are made to accept a sandblasted glass shelf for when we're done using it as a changing table and it morphs into a dresser. I don't think I could sell it at that price as the cost for the materials was more than that. Curly cherry hardwood is not cheap, and there is no MDF used.

My brother is a finish carpenter who works on multimillion dollar homes. I'm helping him get started in the furniture side of things...

Botch: I love the look of oil on cherry, but since this piece was built to match an existing crib, I had to stain it. Also, since this was going in a child's nursery and would be subjected various, uh sustances... I decided to finish it ith a hard polyurathane finish...

Fantasticsound What a great idea! I never thought about doing something like that, I've never even heard of something like that...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

We outfitted Tim McGraw's personal and band dressing rooms and an understage green room with furniture and accent pieces last year. The producer updated it for Tim this year.

One of the pieces they wanted was a replica of a bar at the studio they recorded Tim's last album in. It was a faux piece, however. No working drawers. Just a place to put their drinks in the green room. But it had to be custom made.

I've heard of bands demanding their own favorite beers and the proper color M&Ms, but custom furniture in the dressing rooms!?!? I wanna be famous... :cool:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

I've heard of bands demanding their own favorite beers and the proper color M&Ms, but custom furniture in the dressing rooms!?!? I wanna be famous... :cool:

A friend of mine outfits location trailers for actors. I guess if they are spending a few weeks in the thing they want it convenient and familiar to their needs. He gets sent descriptions of what they want, colors, materials, etc. and he builds it in. Not very exciting after awhile because his part is done in advance of any stars being around and usually in the winter at an isolated trailer compound.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

If you can do THAT....

You can do THIS!!!

http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/media/MixStation-O2R96.jpg

Or THIS...

http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/media/Fusion.jpg

Or THIS...

http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/media/Prostation.jpg

Ahhhhh Yes..... but wouldn't one of these be nice in the studio I'll be building in my garage this spring????

Do you ever build custom design studio furniture Gearmike?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Originally posted by gearmike:

...Fantasticsound What a great idea! I never thought about doing something like that, I've never even heard of something like that...

Neither had I. :D Most every concert I worked used the existing furniture in the dressing rooms. And I'd never seen an under-stage green room, but this was part of a custom stage he had built for the 2003 arena tour. The stage was designed to extend outward in wider arenas, but could be contracted for smaller ones. Monitor world is located underneath the SL wing, which is higher than the main area downstage to allow open space for the monitor engineers to view most of the musicians. This left room under the back for the green room, with two access stairways SL and SR of the drum riser.

...I've heard of bands demanding their own favorite beers and the proper color M&Ms, but custom furniture in the dressing rooms!?!? I wanna be famous... :cool:

Well, to be fair, most of the furniture was bought at furniture stores... but they were not Rooms To Go! :D

One v-e-r-y cool piece Tim did have custom made (not through us) was a large road case with an away-from-home-entertainment-system packed neatly into several compartments. (Attention Phil O'Keefe;) The complement to the widescreen monitor was a pair of ADAM monitors as speakers. :thu: Remove the front panel and open a trap door protecting RF connectors for cable and, voila! Instant audio/video heaven. :D

Of course, you're talking about a guy who has a gym-in-a-semi in his tour package. (Frankly, I think he's a genius for surrounding himself with as many creature comforts of home as possible. I've seen artists who are wonderful friends as well as bosses to their bands, techs, etc., but none who treat the band as well as Tim does. It's no wonder he bucked the Nashville system and began using his long time touring band on albums rather than rely on session players.)

Sorry to get so OT, Mike. That dresser really looks impressive.

I was going say something about designing a changing table to become a dresser because our Crib-for-life furniture works that way. I just figured why be a critic about a gorgeous piece of furniture that's already been built? Glad to hear you designed it to become a dresser. (If you care, the Crib-for-life furniture switches from changing table to dresser by removing the drawers, flipping the frame and reinserting the drawers. The changing table baby guards become the base. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I will be designing and making all my own custom studio furniture when I get round to moving my studio into one of my sons bedrooms (two sons now at college, one to go).

Has anyone here designed or made their own desks/racks? I'd love to ask some ergonomics questions....

Gearmike - there's quite a bit of money to be made designing custom home entertainment theatre furniture etc. It's one of the things I may do when I retire in a few years.....we'll see. Good luck to you and your bro! :thu:

Actually, it's been finished for 9 months now, but I just got around to taking some pictures of it...

This is a "changing table" / dresser that I designed and my brother built for me. Its made of curly cherry hardwood and veneers.

Nice. It looks like it has a kind of neo-deco look with that soft curve on the upper most edge. Looks like your brother did a nice job of executing your design, too.

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

Has anyone here designed or made their own desks/racks? I'd love to ask some ergonomics questions....

Dave, I have. I'm using Tannoy Reveal speakers, and their manuals state they should be placed so the top center edge of the woofer is exactly level with my ear canal, and in an equalateral triangle (speaker/speaker/head). So the first thing I did to build my desk, was go out and buy my chair! I sat down in it, adjusted the height so it was comfortable for me, and then measured from my ear canal to the floor. I then measured from the bottom of the Tannoys to the top edge of their woofers, subtracted that, then had the height of my side speaker shelves. Then, sitting back in my chair, I held my arms out to a comfortable typing height, figured out how high the sliding keyboard holder would be, then designed the mixer desk platform just above that. That platform is designed to just fit my Mackie SR24-4 (which now has been usurped by the band for live gigs :( ). I designed in 19" racks below both speaker platforms, and finally a base to support everything.

I didn't do a good job designing the base, its very wobbly (skimped on wood mass too much) but otherwise I love my mixing station, everything's right where I want it (except my mixer, of course :rolleyes: ). When I upgrade to a digital camera I'll try to post a photo of it. Hope that helps.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

erm okay, but where does your mixer go :P:P:P

Dave, I have. I'm using Tannoy Reveal speakers, and their manuals state they should be placed so the top center edge of the woofer is exactly level with my ear canal, and in an equalateral triangle (speaker/speaker/head). So the first thing I did to build my desk, was go out and buy my chair! I sat down in it, adjusted the height so it was comfortable for me, and then measured from my ear canal to the floor. I then measured from the bottom of the Tannoys to the top edge of their woofers, subtracted that, then had the height of my side speaker shelves. Then, sitting back in my chair, I held my arms out to a comfortable typing height, figured out how high the sliding keyboard holder would be, then designed the mixer desk platform just above that. That platform is designed to just fit my Mackie SR24-4 (which now has been usurped by the band for live gigs :( ). I designed in 19" racks below both speaker platforms, and finally a base to support everything.

I didn't do a good job designing the base, its very wobbly (skimped on wood mass too much) but otherwise I love my mixing station, everything's right where I want it (except my mixer, of course :rolleyes: ). When I upgrade to a digital camera I'll try to post a photo of it. Hope that helps.

Thats awesome. Im putting off a similar planning session as i think i will be happy with a Jerker desk from IKEA (look it up, its pretty sturdy and adaptable). Many of my geek friends have them and theyve sold me on them. Just needs a few adjustments and along with some dedicated speaker stands, im in heaven.

My problem is the amount of hands on stuff such as MPCs, laptops and towers and controllers everywhere, so its taken me a while to sort out the ergonomics.

woo botch though. its always fun taking a DIY approach to making a personal mixstation...

...I didn't do a good job designing the base, its very wobbly (skimped on wood mass too much) but otherwise I love my mixing station, everything's right where I want it...

Just a quick question, Botch. Do you remember Invisible Stands? They made several keyboard stands, an amp stand and home studio stands made of rather thin, rigid metal bar that was strengthened by wire cross supports. I wonder if you could add similar cross supports to your desk design to add strength without adding considerable extra wood struts. :confused:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I wonder if you could add similar cross supports to your desk design to add strength without adding considerable extra wood struts. :confused:
I actually did that. I had to limit how big they were as they would otherwise interfere with the keyboard slider and/or my legs, but they stiffened it up to an acceptable level.

Now, the woodworking bench I'd built is all mortise and tenon construction, and has 210 lbs of maple in it, that sucker doesn't move!! And it sees a lot more punishment than my mixing desk. ;)

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Dave DRi:

i think i will be happy with a Jerker desk from IKEA (look it up, its pretty sturdy and adaptable).

Dave,

I'm usingthe Jerker desk in my studio right now. It woks out great. IKEA has smoe little shelfs that bolt to the sides like little wings. They're a perfect fit for my active monitors...

I've been really happy with the ergonomics of the unit for two years now....

Mike

-steve albini

Yep, it does, thanks Botch :thu: . Your design method seems pretty good to me. I should end up with everything at the right height and reach if I follow it.

I have two 23" LCD monitors that I want at eye height, my Mackie Control Universal and expander unit infront of the monitors and the Mac keyboard and mouse on a pull-out shelf under that. I have been toying with the idea of having a controller keyboard (e.g. my K2600 or maybe my Virus KC) alongside the Mackie control surface, but it doesn't work out ergonomically.

I also took note of how I work when I'm composing/mixing etc. and decided that I really don't need a music keyboard infront of the DAW workstation position. So, I'm going to have my keyboards away from the mixing position and use remote control (Cubase SX3) to control the "tape transport".

I like your idea of fitting 19" racks under the speaker stands - I think I'll do this too.

Thanks for the ideas - see if you can get a photo or two of your studio furniture uploaded for us to check out Botch.

Cheers for now,

Originally posted by Dave DRi:

i think i will be happy with a Jerker desk from IKEA (look it up, its pretty sturdy and adaptable).

Dave,

I'm usingthe Jerker desk in my studio right now. It woks out great. IKEA has smoe little shelfs that bolt to the sides like little wings. They're a perfect fit for my active monitors...

I've been really happy with the ergonomics of the unit for two years now....

Mike

Good to hear! Im always a little worried about ergonomics... its more then a buzzword for me because im well aware of my own personal response to the positioning of my gear.

Come on Botch wheres the photos!

Oh and im envious of the pair of 23" LCD monitors that "Dave, the Rave" has. Part of why i choose the JERKER desk is because you can set it up the way you want, and it is adaptable for my two 21" CRT monitors which as you can guess have a HUGE footprint. if i had a pair of LCDs i would reclaim enough space to fit a controller or shallow rackmount (such as tow fit a pair of RNC compressors).

my biggest problem is the lack of cheap/affordable rackmount shelving! its so expensive in australia considering its just some bent and drilled metal.

DAve, I've got two 21" monitors set up on my Jerker with no problems...I set the adjustable shelf up at the top of the brackets and just stack my rack gear there....

-steve albini

Archived