Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Fixing Firefox?

Hi all,

For Christmas I received a new computer (Celeron 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, the whole shabam). I installed Firefox on it immediately after getting XP and all my drivers and such set up. It worked fantastically for the first day and a bit (especially after I used the tweaks posted here). Anyhow, it just stopped working. It won't load any pages. Everytime I try to access a page through Firefox it says, "PageX.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again." Now IE works fine, as does The Opera. Any ideas/solutions for this slightly technotarded person?

Thanks.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look under "Tools -> Options..." at the General options page. At the bottom is a button "Connection Settings" - push that, and make sure that you are not trying to connect via a proxy (most of the time you should not be). The top selection "Direct connection to the Internet" is what I have, although the 2nd option "Automatically detect proxy" might work too.

Another option is to delete your profile information & start fresh. This is a pain for some, but since you just set it up there wouldn't be much you would lose.

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\"Your User Name"\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ and delete the "Profiles" folder, then restart Firefox. (Of course, "Your User Name" is just that - so if your name is John, then it would be Documents & Settings->John->Application Data etc.)

If you don't see the Application Data falder, then look under "Tools->Folder Options..." in Windows Explorer, then click on the "View" tab, and select "Show hidden files and folders". Then it should be visible. :)

Archived