Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sometimes, it works.

I've got a client I'm doing photography for; 15 stores, outdoor clothing. Went and picked up some test prints today--24" x 36", it's going to be in-store display--and I'm fairly smitten.

It's one thing to be published in magazines and on web, or to have someone custom-oder one of your prints. This has been going on for years, so it doesn't faze me much.

But to see your work blown up to poster quality and beyond...well...heh... :D:D:D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by offramp:

Let's not blow this out of proportion.

It's just ONE client.

Hey...a journey of a thousand checks begins with one client.

I think the Chinese said that or something. :D

By the way, if you land a Victoria's Secret account, I may be out to visit you for an extended stay...

Strictly professional, mind you.

We can talk about microphones and panties...I mean....preamps. ;)

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Hey...a journey of a thousand checks begins with one client.

I think the Chinese said that or something. :D

By the way, if you land a Victoria's Secret account, I may be out to visit you for an extended stay...

Strictly professional, mind you.

We can talk about microphones and panties...I mean....preamps. ;)

Agreed, one chance is all that's needed sometimes.

And, um, if you need a "handler" for that Victoria Secret shoot, call....I'll pay you :D:D

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Trust me, guys...if anyone's gonna be a handler, it'll be my wife (whether I like it or not). As someone who's been on the cover of Vogue herself, she'll know exactly what to expect.

I'm sunk. :D

Looks like tabletop, product/food, and nature scenes for this boy.

BTW, Super8: I think the Chinese that said "The journey of a thousand Czechs begins with just one Czar".

Offramp,

I was recently in a "Dick's Sporting Goods" located in one of the newest shopping plazas they have put up in the city called Zona Rosa. They had a photograph that was somehow wallpapered (like a mural, only it was an actual photograph enlarged beyond life size) overhead on a wall leading from a balcony from the second floor. The photo was done in black and white and was composed of several children wearing different sporting outfits. I thought it was very interesting and it was definitely more effective at catching my attention than any TV commercial or any other sort of advertisement that I've ever witnessed. Perhaps it was because of it being a new and unique way to present goods that I found it appealing; but it definitly left a good impression. I thought it was cool! Trick is; getting the person to the store in the first place to see what's going on inside.

Good Luck!!!

I'd like to get into some sort of commercial photography, but I haven't quite determined what my niche will be. I've got some pretty decent gear for shooting digital photography and have experience using film; my preference is digital.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Actually, I think she was on the cover around 10 or 12 times, but this was back in the '90's, and in Europe. Unfortunately, the only cover we have a copy of is not the best one, and her old agency in Switzerland absolutely refused to let her have a copy of her book when she returned to the States. We do have some nice scans of a lot of the rest of her work; I might try to post them on my website sometime today or tomorrow.

Sometimes, I think I'm more proud of her for the things she's done in that arena than she is; it's kinda in her past, but to me it's exciting she lived through it all and came out fairly normal. I mean, she was in that core group of big supermodels at the time--Evangeliste, Everhart, Campbell, etc., and was the one who taught Claudia Schiffer how to do runway--but bowed out at one point to come back to the States and take care of her Mom.

And now, something Ani said begs the question...

I've done some professional(hack)photography. But always with film. I've never used a digital camera.

IS digital photography up to the same snuff? Digital photos I've seen tell me no. But they weren't "professional" shots.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

heya fang,

my first actual well-paid photography stint was with digital equipment, as im a mid-20's "digital generation" type. the funny thing is, like anything, you CAN get away with cheap digital gear for pro results, but its the usual sliding scale of result/skill+gear.

when you get up around digital SLR's and you know a bit about exposure, framing, lux and white levels and so on then obviously you are more inclined to a favourable outcome. as for me, even though i had my dads top o the line pentax slr as a kid, im all about the digital. i will admit however that a good deal of the "magic" is in adobe photoshop (which is as much a part of my digital generation as Soundforge or Protools!), ie adjusting levels, precise cropping and framing, and very veyr very gentle touches to hue/saturation.

i dont think digital is rivalling the oldskool analog crowd yet, because quite simply they have SKILLS! but i can bet you bottom dollar that given the same skills, the same conditions, and different gear, you wont be left begging in terms of result on digital.

back to my first photog commission... well put it this way, the high class hotel i was put up in paid me for the photos i took of their foyer and paino bar, and those were the ones i took on the first day relaxing in the hotel getting to know the new camera (fuji finepix, 4 sets of rechargables, 2 X 256 ram cards, 2 X 64 ram cards).

last thoughts: i much prefer digital for still movement stuff. the processors in digital cam's still need to get faster to handle changing focal point applications perfectly. there are lots of workarounds, but event photography rather relies on experience, knowing your camera/workarounds and especially having massive amounts of RAM and batteries.

BACK TO OFFRAMP!

yeah that must be lovely :) ive had stuff in mags, websites for marketing campaigns and the usual crap, but nice big format large scale stuff must be sexy. to be honest, thats the reason why i do psuedo-illegal large scale multi-layer stencils... but youre getting paid for it! hahaha nice one :)

Originally posted by whitefang:

IS digital photography up to the same snuff? Digital photos I've seen tell me no. But they weren't "professional" shots.

Whitefang

As of these past few days, I'm going to have to say YES.

Let me tell you about the humbling experience I had, about the inner traditionalists screaming in my head, about the shame.

I went to the printer Thursday to see my tests. Mind you, target size is 2' x 3'. I had mostly digital, and a few negs. The digital came from a 5.1 megapixel camera (I won't divulge the brand or model, for various reasons); the film from an Olympus 35mm setup, on TMAX100, developed by myself under EXACTING conditions, scanned in at the highest possible resolution in Photoshop7 with an Epson scanner.

One print in particular had the entire print shop and myself gasping in "horror". The TMAX was indistinct and unremarkable. The digital shot was so intense that two employees of the shop mumbled that they wished they had a copy of it.

I gave it to them for the holidays. :P

Given that Adobe has just released software--for free--that manages the various RAW format 'standards', and that the RAW format is the digital equivalent of negative manipulation, I'd say digital photography has arrived. One must also consider the viewing medium, and how that's changed over the past three decades; so much is seen on a screen now, that the definition of "resolution" has been rewritten.

Archived