Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- 2004: The year of Fans Gone Wild?

Hearing the news of Dimebag's murder last night had me thinking of the unprecedented instances of dangerous and/or deadly 'fan' misconduct that we've seen this year alone:

-The stabbing at the Vibe awards a few weeks ago.

-The brawl that occurred between fans and

basketball players at a recent Indiana Pacers

game.

-The rioting and mayhem that many Boston Red Sox

fans participated in that directly resulted in

the death of an innocent bystander.

In the post Columbine, post 9/11 age, I would imagine that we're gonna see some wholesale changes in the way clubs, sports arenas, et al, do business- particularly in the interest of safety/security. I'm not sure what hand legislature would play in it, but in light of recent events- and with the Great White fire still fresh in memory- I think these types of clubs are unfortunately gonna suffer the worst of it.

Which leads to my question: how do you reverse the problem of spectators getting out of control at social gatherings? Are metal detectors the answer? What about the small clubs which are less likely to be able to afford them? Will we see higher ticket prices/cover charges to offset the cost of increased security, etc?

It would be tragic for something like going to a concert become as big a hassle as trying to get through an airport. Funny how the actions of a few can ruin it for the many.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived