Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Travesty!!

There seems to be a trend lately of popular commercial rock bands as played on "alternative rock" stations covering classic rock tunes of yore. I recently heard someone butchering Skynyrd's "Simple Man" on an acoustic guitar and A Perfect Circle doing a morose version of "Imagine".

Last night on the commute home I heard some god-awful nu-metal cover of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall". Truly horrible with screaming vocals, detuned sludge guitars and a children's choir. The worst part was the guitarist playing Gilmour's solo note for note. . .sort of. He didn't have the chops to pull it off and his phrasing was way off. And his tone and vibrato SUCKED!! Sounded like me learning the solo for the first time back when I was 17 - only no one was stupid enough to record that!

Didn't catch the name of whoever was responsible but it was maybe the worst thing I've ever heard.

Just thought I'd share. :mad:

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure it wasn't the "Class of '99" version of ABITW?

Although, I don't remember Laine Stayley ripping his throat out on that one - it was actually a decent cover. It didn't sound like the lads were forcing the song into something it wasn't, just sounded like a few guys getting together and doing a cool version of a really strong song.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Elvis did Blue Moon, The Beatles did Besame Mucho, Anne Murray did You Won't See Me...pop music is littered with good and bad covers of good and bad songs by good and bad artists.

The most-powerful tool for you is the channel-scan on your radio - if you don't like something, move on. The second-most-powerful tool is your wallet - keep it closed if you don't like something.

I agree that the cover of Imagine sucked!

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Last night on the commute home I heard some god-awful nu-metal cover of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall". Truly horrible with screaming vocals, detuned sludge guitars and a children's choir. The worst part was the guitarist playing Gilmour's solo note for note. . .sort of. He didn't have the chops to pull it off and his phrasing was way off. And his tone and vibrato SUCKED!! Sounded like me learning the solo for the first time back when I was 17 - only no one was stupid enough to record that!

It was Korn :rolleyes: . I agree, the solo was completely butchered. If you are going to attempt to play one of the best guitar solos ever note for note then you better have the chops to pull it off. He should have just written his own solo.

Have you heard Kittie's version of "Run Like Hell"? I actually like the doom-metal take on the song, although it invariably makes me laugh to hear Morgan doing the gutteral scream thing. At least they didn't try to replicate a near-perfect song.

"For instance" is not proof.

To my dismay, some of the BETTER covers I've heard were used in movie scores, and I never learn who does 'em! One example is a cover of "Across The Universe" playing at the end of a movie that I also forgot! It was beautifully done with a female vocalist.

Some of the worst covers I've heard were done by some of the "new breed" of R&B singers who seem to think adding a scale of 50 notes to ONE SYLLABLE of a word somehow gives it more "soul".

EGADS!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

The Scissor Sisters did a disco cover of Comfortably Numb last year. I am only just beginning to grudgingly accept that some of their orignal songs may be passable, but I don't think I will ever really forgive them for that diabolical monstrosity!!!

Although it did make my band's attempt at the song sound almost acceptable :D

My favourite song is Little Wing, have yet to hear a cover I like more than the original, but I have collected several and there are some damn fine ones out there, aside from the well known ones (SRV, Clapton, etc)...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by whitefang:

To my dismay, some of the BETTER covers I've heard were used in movie scores, and I never learn who does 'em! One example is a cover of "Across The Universe" playing at the end of a movie that I also forgot! It was beautifully done with a female vocalist.

Fiona Apple
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

What happened to Fiona?

I really like the sound of her voice...very unique...raw, sexy and yet somewhat fragile.

I seem to recall she had a bit of a breakdown...or something like that...???

And yes...she sings that song quite well...she did justice to it....one of my favorite Lennon/Beatle tunes.

Rufus Wainright does it well also.

Though I could swear I heard his version being used for a commercial the other day...???

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

Though I could swear I heard his version being used for a commercial the other day...???

Rufus wainright makes me gag. HAd the misfortune of hearign him open for Roxy Music, and thought it was horrible.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Sometimes people just slap on a song like they're wearing a button---the song's supposed to tell you something about them, how hip they are, whatever, instead of demonstrating their abilities...which is often why they don't go ahead & write their own song!

Originally posted by The Baseter of Christmas Gone:

My favourite song is Little Wing, have yet to hear a cover I like more than the original, but I have collected several and there are some damn fine ones out there, aside from the well known ones (SRV, Clapton, etc)...

Stings version is pretty cool too. Hiram Bullocks' and Branford Marsellis solos were delicious. The breakdown? I need a tissue...

Originally posted by Henchman:

Originally posted by miroslav:

Rufus wainright makes me gag. HAd the misfortune of hearign him open for Roxy Music, and thought it was horrible.
Well..."Across the Universe" is the only song I ever heard by him...so I can't comment on Rufus overall...but when I heard his rendition, I enjoyed it...but then, I alwys loved that song!!!

I would probably have to hear someone TOTALLY trash it, before I would not like it! :D

Oh...Fiona's is better, of course! :thu:

Originally posted by Phait:

What happened to Fiona is the Sony exect have decided to hold her album because it apparently won't sell enough.

Wow...I didn't know... :(

When you see this kind of shit...it makes you question the reasons for to wanting to be "signed".

Though I guess not all labels are like Sony...who obvioulsy have the big muscles to push people around...and not give a fuck about it. :mad:

Originally posted by whitefang:

EGADS!

Whitefang

Taking this and twisting it, one of the best records of covers I have ever heard is Mike Patton / Fantomas / "The Director's Cut" which is all insanely wild covers of movie scores. Awesome record.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

btw whitefang, the movie was "Pleasantville".

Great movie :thu:

P.S., i don't care what anyone says, Fiona Apple is hawt hawt hawt. She can actually sing, she has a great voice, and as far as i can tell she's pretty down to earth and real.

Speaking of bands that have been done in by record execs- The Violent Femmes have about 5 albums recorded over the span of about 14 years that have yet to be released. Really sad. They've got some bitchin' grooves that are as real and true as they get. A truly great band, whether you like their tunes or not.

And yes, that was KoRn that did the cover of ABITW, with a pile of other misc. Floyd stuff thrown in.

Moral of the story: There are some songs by some bands that you've gotta be really fuggin good to earn the privilege to remake.

Pink Floyd is one of those bands, and sorry, KoRn isn't good enough. They can play the notes but they don't *understand* the song. I can't feel any struggle or pain like the PF version.

I've *tried* to get into KoRn, or limp bizkit, or mudvayne or all the other grindcore stuff, but i just can't. I dig all sorts of metal, but that genre just seems so superficial and contrived to me.

My $0.04 USD

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by The Baseter of Christmas Gone:

The Scissor Sisters did a disco cover of Comfortably Numb last year. .

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/chapel/bigfrogs/bigrock.gif
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I don't care. Let people make their covers. The market will decide whether they're worth it. I wasn't blown away by APC's cover of "Imagine," but it's a lot more interesting than Metallica's "Turn The Page" - ouch, cringe!!

Covers are cool. The songwriters/publishers earn new, unexpected royalties. It's a lot better than ripping off a riff without credit and rapping over it. "Ice Ice Baby..."

The thing that pisses me off is when a Hollywood movie producers or (worse) Madison Avenue ad execs decide to use a cover of a song in a film or an ad instead of paying for the rights to use the original version. Everyone identifies with the original. The original is what linked people to feelings and memories that the ad or movie wants to exploit. It's unfair to compromise with a cheap remake of the track.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Phait:

What happened to Fiona is the Sony exect have decided to hold her album because it apparently won't sell enough.

Fucking asshats.

I love Fiona, and theres a petition to help her get her album out:

http://www.freefiona.com/

Do you have any idea what the size of her advance, or the recording fund for that record? When an artist takes seven figures from a label they owe that label a marketable record.

I have always found Fiona to be a bit self-absorbed and self-indulgent on her records. Maybe Sony doesn't hear a single in the current collection of songs she has given them?

There are two sides to every story, so I am asking an honest question (and playing devils advocate at the same time). :D

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by Di-Spencer Of Christmas Cheer:

Are you sure it wasn't the "Class of '99" version of ABITW?

Although, I don't remember Laine Stayley ripping his throat out on that one

When did Layne and/or Alice In Chains cover ABITW?

Originally posted by Jotown:

I have always found Fiona to be a bit self-absorbed and self-indulgent on her records.

Yeah, because you know... she's the only artist to ever write about themselves. But that's your opinion, "kudos".

Originally posted by The Studio Pet-Rock:

Last summer, I heard a god-awful mutilation of Behind Blue Eyes (originally by the Who). It sounded like Limp Chicklet, or whatever they're called.

Yes that was Limp Bizkit.

It was on the soundtrack for the movie "The Faculty" back in '99 (hence the band name - "Class of 99".

It wasn't Alice In Chains per se. It was Layne on vox, the drummer and bass player from Rage Against The Machine, and some other dudes on guitar. Actually a very cool version of the song - one of my favorite covers of a PF tune I've ever heard.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Di-Spencer Of Christmas Cheer:

It was on the soundtrack for the movie "The Faculty" back in '99 (hence the band name - "Class of 99".

That had a few covers of school/teen angst songs on it. Seem to remember a pretty decent version of Schools Out, was that Soul Asylum?? I'm 18 wasn't bad either but not as good, can't remember who did that tho. May have been Creed....

Khan, that pic isn't displaying, but I hope it displays the appropriate level of venom :D

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Archived