Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cry for help and/or opinions from pros (again)!

Wierd! Something happened with my first attempt to post my situation/requests to my distinguished fellow bottom end dwellers. When I clicked on the thread I tried to start earlier, it comes up in the middle of a SPAM thread. Anyway, I'll try this again: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My intro first: I've been making money playing cover tunes for about 18 years now - 10 of those being full-time, on and off the road. I've gigged with "once famous band" guys in the clubs here and there, doing covers, as have many others of you I'm sure. Nowdays, I'm just playing in a 3 (ish) night a month (everybody has a day gig type of deal) cover band in the clubs and doing a few "hired gun" gigs in between... the ones where you watch the left hand of the rythym guitarist all night long... lol. Intro over. My goal next: I want to play with one of those 70's/80's "once really famous, now on a comeback tour" rock bands so I'm doing the only thing I know to do - I'm attempting to put together a promo pack and I'm planning on sending it out to the agents and managers that promote these types of bands. Is this the way to get my foot in the door? Am I going about this the right way? Anyway, folks are telling me to send a CD or tape in my promo pack. Since I've been playing in rock and top 40 cover bands for most of my 18 (ish) year career, all I have is cover demos to send. Most recently, from my current part-time cover band, "OTF". Other than the earlier questions, here's where I would GREATLY... GREATLY need your help. My band's current web site has some MP3 demos (covers, of course), which is about the only thing I've got close to being "CD quality". Can you guys PLEASE listen to them and BLUNTLY counsel me as follows? A - Which of those MP3's should I leave OFF the demo? B - Which ones should I include in my promo pack? Here's the URL to the MP3's I'm referring to: http://www.noteworthymusic.net/otftunes.htm - Lastly, in the for what it is worth department, the bass and drums were recorded live. I used a Rickenbacker 4001v63, digging in with my fingers. Again - you guys wouldn't believe just how much I would appreciate your input on this! I'm gunning for reaching my goal so hard I can taste it, but I just don't want to embarrass myself by sending obviously crappy stuff out to important people. Please - be blunt and please - accept my sincerest and humblest thanks in advance! KK

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please consider putting short clips of the songs rather than whole songs. Very few of us have broadband and it's way too time consuming to check out half a dozen mp3's. Maybe try 30 second clips. Anyway, I'd also seek help on one of the other boards (assuming you haven't already). Yes, I know this is not an immediately helpful reply, but it may give you food for thought.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived