Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT :: Morning music suggestions

Originally posted by theblue1:

R&L T's Pour Down Like Silver is absolutely one of the most gorgeous albums in my collection.

Oh.... my.... GOD. Dude. That is one of my favorite albums EVER and I don't know ANYone else who is as into it. I mean usually even if I meet anyone who's into the Thompsons (which ain't a whole lotta people anyway) they're into Shoot Out the Lights or I Want To See the Bright Lights... which, you know, are brilliant. BUT... everyone seems to overlook Pour Down Like Silver and ummm... well. I'm going to bed now and I think I will listen to it. But really, the dead of night is the ONLY time to listen to that record, doncha think? Morning, nahhh. That would be just wrong.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't listen to Dimming of the Day when the sun's peeking in my window and the birdies are singing...

;)

(But I did just put it on. This is the definition of gorgeous. There was something really magic on that album. It killed me when they broke up. But then, I suppose if they hadn't, we'd never have had 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I don't think a devoted family man type could write that little classic.)

Whoah! Who knew the Neville Bros. had a version of Dimming? One good turn deserves another, I think I'll throw it on after. (There's a Bonnie Rait ver on MMOD, too. And Emmylou. And The Rude Girls?!?)

Wow... the Nevilles do it pretty different. Purty interesting. Not the same, but nice. They get a little too big in the middle... it has the sound of someone who was trying for a Daniel Lanois kind of sound. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to R&L do it first. That's just too much competition. Even for the Nevilles.

1952 Vincent Black Lightning

(Richard Thompson)

Oh says Red Molly to James "That's a fine motorbike.

A girl could feel special on any such like"

Says James to Red Molly "My hat's off to you

It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952.

And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems

Red hair and black leather, my favourite colour scheme"

And he pulled her on behind and down to Boxhill they did ride

Oh says James to Red Molly "Here's a ring for your right hand

But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man.

For I've fought with the law since I was seventeen,

I robbed many a man to get my Vincent machine.

Now I'm 21 years, I might make 22

And I don't mind dying, but for the love of you.

And if fate should break my stride

Then I'll give you my Vincent to ride"

"Come down, come down, Red Molly" called Sergeant McRae

"For they've taken young James Adie for armed robbery.

Shotgun blast hit his chest, left nothing inside.

Oh come down, Red Molly to his dying bedside"

When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left

He was running out of road, he was running out of breath

But he smiled to see her cry

He said "I'll give you my Vincent to ride"

Says James "In my opinion, there's nothing in this world

Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl.

Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves won't do,

Ah, they don't have a soul like a Vincent 52"

Oh he reached for her hand and he slipped her the keys

Said "I've got no further use for these.

I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome,

Swooping down from heaven to carry me home"

And he gave her one last kiss and died

And he gave her his Vincent to ride.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Arell, I don't think it's fancy, it's quite simple really:

You just boil water on the stove, pour it in along with the coffee, wait a couple of minutes and push the plunger down. No electricity required, no noise, no paper filters, and no burnt coffee taste from sitting around on a heating element. It's kewl!

If you like coffee with silt in it. :(:P

Seriously, you have to use a coarse grind - standard grind for automatic drip will make a big pile of yuk in the bottom of your cup.

Edit: I used to have a recipe somewhere for Turkish coffee, but I think I gave the book to my sister. IIRC you put whole beans in a skillet with some water, and then heat it up until teh beans start to pop and the water looks like motor oil. The resultant coffee is something like espresso on speed! :eek:

That's true about the grind size...

OK! I have a great morning music suggestion.

Keb Mo's "Peace. Back by Popular Demand"

He covers Imagine, For What It's Worth, The Times They Are a Changin', and other "protest" songs. This album is so cool for it's relaxed yet inspired groove. The sentiment is not "DOWN WITH WAR" but "Let's all claps our hands in time, people. Softly but with authority... yes."

Really cool!

Turkish coffee RuLeZ.

And I don't seem to silt in the bottom of my coffee even using regular drip grind... my French press has a pretty good screen I think. Or maybe I do get silt and I just don't care. :D

Bluey, yeah some of the other versions of "Dimming of the Day" are da bomb, it's just a great song... but you're right, nothing compares to the original. And "1952 Vincent" is always cool to see Richard do live. One of the few things I miss about living in L.A. is going to McCabe's Guitar Shop and seeing RT or Peter Case play or a handful of other people. McCabe's is too cool.

Originally posted by billster:

I used to have a recipe somewhere for Turkish coffee, but I think I gave the book to my sister. IIRC you put whole beans in a skillet with some water, and then heat it up until teh beans start to pop and the water looks like motor oil. The resultant coffee is something like espresso on speed! :eek:
I ordered a cappuchino the last time I was in Turkey, and it gave me a severe buzz, I'm not quite used to that level of caffeine. Found out later that Cappuchino is considered a "woman's drink", the espresso is much stronger! But then what do you expect from someone who likes Michael Franks? :evil::P:D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Morning? Music? I can barely even talk to anybody in the morning let alone listen to music. I prefer dead silence in the morning - a few birds singing is all right. :D

lee - wait till you hear Kookaburras in the morning :):)

http://www.homestead.com/lakeapplets/kookaburra.html

cheers

john

Originally posted by theblue1:

Phait

Oops. Found another hole in the MMOD library. Only one Radiohead song, Pyramid Song. Which I listened to a day or two ago. But a good suggestion, I think. I don't actually own any Radiohead.

I don't own any Radiohead either. But I'm familiar with a few songs. If you've seen the film Vanilla Sky, "everything in it's right place" is playing during the first scene where David is waking up. It just fits perfectly.

Actully I LIKE "silt" in my coffee, since it's my only remaining vice. I typically grind those New England Coffee Company French Roast beans to dust, and use about 3x what I'm supposed to, to make what my non coffee junkie buds refer to as "Nick's mud".

Oh yea, now that's a kick in the face on a cold morning!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Originally posted by where02190:

Actully I LIKE "silt" in my coffee, since it's my only remaining vice. I typically grind those New England Coffee Company French Roast beans to dust, and use about 3x what I'm supposed to, to make what my non coffee junkie buds refer to as "Nick's mud".

Oh yea, now that's a kick in the face on a cold morning!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely not for the faint of heart.

That reminds me of the time my brother in law visited and made the coffee one morning to be nice - except he didn't realize we had a "double size" scoop - so we had twice as much grounds/water ratio. :eek:

I like silt in my beer! Bottle fermented ale! :thu:

Where

You know, my aggresive anti-commercial radio stance, in place now since the mid-80s when I was helping to work an album I'd co-produced and got completely fed up with the music and the people in the commercial radio world (I got tired of our team being asked for money and drugs to play the record -- and I got totally, completely sick of "modern rock"/"rock of the 80s" crap).

At any rate, I've barely ever heard Guns N' Roses (hey, how come there's only one apostrophe?) and up until a few months ago I don't believe I'd ever heard more than a few bars in passing of "Welcome to the Jungle"...

I'm listening to it now. It's got a lot of energy. And, damn, a lot of reverb.

;)

billster

I remember one night up in LA when we dropped into a little Turkish diner. I was heavy in my 'spro consumption then and I had two Turkish coffees, drinking them right down to their sweet, gooey dregs. I was bouncing of the freakin' walls. Good thing it was a punk show.

Lee Knight

Interesting album. I'm listening now. I like the stripped down piano and vocal on The Times They Are A'Chanin'. Makes you really think about the words -- but I do almost anytime I hear anyone do it even after all this time.

I hadn't heard much of Keb' in the last decade. I've never heard him with backup before (remembering his solo stuff). Music of my lost youth, a lot of it. Back when I cared. Too much, maybe.

Lee F

Yeah... I saw Richard Thompson at McCabes something like four or 5 times (including the show with Kaiser, French, Thompson, and Frith (or whatever the order was). A great little venue. I'd easily trade the hard little folding chairs and lack of alcohol (in my drinking days) for its intimacy and consistently excellent and attentive audiences. It was always my dream to play there some day. (Ha!)

Botch

Last time you were in Turkey?

You cosmopolite, you!

djwayne

I'm not familiar with Jesse Cook but I will be as soon as Keb' Mo' gets done with his tour of my lost youth...

One guy I already know I like very much in the morning is Baden Powell. Of course, he's more a bossa precursor, not a flamenco guy.

I'm probablly more oriented to the classical Spanish repetoire or old school flamenco. Folks ike Otmar Liebert or the Gipsy Kings (who came up in the similar artists), who I guess some folks classify as flamenco (!), don't move me much. Well, I did think the Kings' version of Hotel California was utterly hilarious.

Uh, oh. Jesse's on. Hmmm. He sings. Lotsa sweep picks. I can see how folks would like this. Maybe not really my thing. But very well done AOR with a bit of a rhumba feel.

John

The Kookaburras came on in the middle of Keb' Mo's quite interesting and effective Imagine. Scared the heck out of me. :D

Phait

Didn't see the flick. Love the adverts, though. I've heard plenty of Radiohead of course. Even I can't avoid the radio that much... Well, it was really the baristas at the coffee house. When I'm feeling mean, I tell Radiohead heads that they make me think of the Alan Parsons Project. So far only one of them has got that, but the reaction was properly apoplectic. I loved it. But, seriously, I think I could kind of like them if they snuck up on me.

where and billster

I used to practically fall asleep holding down the top on my little grinder when I was making my 'spro. One of my friends watched me do it and finally said, What, are you gonna snort that shit?

:D;):D

Big thanks to everyone who posted! Some absolutely excellent suggestions and I learned a lot about a lot of stuff. (And I hope I caught up with everyone who posted here. If I missed you in my comments, you can bet I read your post and will probably listen to your suggestions, as long as my buddies at MusicMatch have got it covered, anyhow. And classical stuff aside, I think they did pretty good, here. Best $9 I spend every month.)

I'm saving a copy of this thread on my local drive for future reference, too!

BTW, I put on Ravi Shankar this a.m. and it was really brilliant. Boy, that dude could rip!

If there are any stragglers out there with suggestions, I'm still open.

I may have had one too many mornings and I'm certainly a thousand miles behind, but I'm figuring on at least a few more, anyhow...

;)

Down the street the dogs are barkin'

And the day is a-gettin' dark.

As the night comes in a-fallin',

The dogs 'll lose their bark.

An' the silent night will shatter

From the sounds inside my mind,

For I'm one too many mornings

And a thousand miles behind.

From the crossroads of my doorstep,

My eyes they start to fade,

As I turn my head back to the room

Where my love and I have laid.

An' I gaze back to the street,

The sidewalk and the sign,

And I'm one too many mornings

An' a thousand miles behind.

It's a restless hungry feeling

That don't mean no one no good,

When ev'rything I'm a-sayin'

You can say it just as good.

You're right from your side,

I'm right from mine.

We're both just one too many mornings

An' a thousand miles behind.

-- http://www.bobdylan.com/albumpic/times_mini.gif

...and no burnt coffee taste from sitting around on a heating element.

Right there's your issue, hon...you actually let your coffee sit long enough to get burnt.

Lightweight. :D

"Not to say I haven't wondered about the hormone issue. But, you know, it never hurt Donovan or Nick Drake. And then there's the Smiths. But I'd have to say Morrisey seems to evince a higher testo level..."

And don't forget Jon Anderson! Or Geddy Lee!

Nothing about the high voice. Hell, my man Sting made it with a screeching, angry thing, in the beginning. Franks is just...just...a PUSSY.

There. I said it.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Hey, now. You are talking about my cousin. Even if I haven't met him.

:D

You know what, though, I'll take Michael Franks any day over Dennis De Young from Styx. Or the guy who sang "Sometimes When We Touch"... [shudder]

Originally posted by offramp:

Nothing about the high voice. Hell, my man Sting made it with a screeching, angry thing, in the beginning. Franks is just...just...a PUSSY.

There. I said it.

I suppose I'd better not even bring up Scritti Politti.... :o:D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I really enjoy listening to morning ragas (Indian music), especially of the Carnatic variety. If this sounds interesting to you, then check out some stuff that has Ali Akbar Khan on sarod, L. Subramanian on violin, and Zakir Hussain in tablas. I think it's awesome in the morning especially.

Archived