Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: how weird is this?

Well, maybe not that weird. Maybe.

Anyhow, I'm listening to MusicMatch On Demand. I'd just dumped the "top tracks" from Beck in the player, and then was grabbing some tracks by other artists to scatter into the playlist just to break up the Beck-ness of it all.

But I was using the MMOD 'Related Artists' utility, I grabbed some Portishead, some Wilco, some Jeff Buckley, some Nick Drake.

I grabbed a couple Drake tracks and threw them into the playlist at random spots.

When I looked, I realized I'd dropped Drake's Saturday Sun right behind Beck's Sunday Sun. I didn't even know he had a track called that. (Although it's almost certainly a ref to the long-dead and newly popular Nick Drake.)

Okay, it's not enough to make me believe in Fate (or not, for that matter, I'm an agnostic on Fate and Free Will) or anything.

But it sort of made my eyes go wide open

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That happened to me the other day, or something very close to it.

Of course, what appear to be coincidences are very often where matrices of interrelationship overlap with themselves. In my case, I was listening to someone (Beck) who might be assumed to be interested in Nick Drake and it was the "similar artists" box on Becks MMOD page that prompted me to throw in some of Nick's lovely tunes... so it was almost more a thing of the apple not falling far from the tree.

Still, there were probably already about 40 songs in the area where I was randomly dropping tracks (once MMOD is playing, you can't reshuffle the playlist without it interrupting whatever's playing). So, even given the two songs (which I didn't know existed in relationship to each other) there was still a 40-to-1 chance (or so) of them ending up next to each other.

Sadly, I wasn't actually paying attention when either of them played -- so I have no idea how they sounded togethere.

:D

There have been many times where someday I'll suddenly start hearing a tune in my head that I haven't heard for ages, and in about three days, it'll pop up on the radio.

Freaks me out every time.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by whitefang:

There have been many times where someday I'll suddenly start hearing a tune in my head that I haven't heard for ages, and in about three days, it'll pop up on the radio.

Freaks me out every time.

I can top that!

I was working one day many years ago. I had a song in my head that was pretty old. Nothing all that popular -certainly on at the time. In fact, I can't even remember which song it was. BUT, I was thinking about it, and all of a sudden, my co-worker behind me starts singing it!

Pretty freaky....

[que twilight zone music]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Not so spooky, but maybe interesting:

Until I recntly made some additions to it, my iTunes master playlist ('library'), when placed in alphabetical order, had several songs in a row that were a mixture of the Police, Stewart Copeland's 'Animal Logic' project, Andy Summers' solo stuff, Sting, or Sting's son, Joesph, in his 'Fiction Plane' project. It felt like, for nine or ten songs, that the Police never really broke up.

The weirdest part about it, though, was hearing an older Police tune, followed by a Fiction Plane tune...the resemblence in voice is chilling.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived