Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microphone help MXL V69 or Shure KSM27

Hey everyone! I am looking to buy a new mic. I am looking for something that has warm, clear, smooth sound. I've read that the MXL V69 and SHure KSM27 are the best in their price range. The only thing that is throwing me off is that the MXL V69 requires a preamp (i've read on reviews), and the Shure KSM27 requires phantom power. I dont know what panthom power and preamp really is. I have a behringer 1604 A with phantom power connected to my sound card which is an m-audio mobile pre. I was wondering if this would be enough to power up these mics? Thank you guys for taking the time to read this. Let me know if you think there are other mics that are better than the ones I mentioned (in the same price range). Once again thank you guys!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marshall is a tube mic and the Shure a condenser...

...so they will sound different...without necessarily either one being better or worse than the other.

You really SHOULD audition them before deciding...if possible.

What will you be PRIMARILY using the mic to record?

Don't sweat the phantom power...if your M-Audio has it...you are good to go.

Ohall mics need a pre...but it looks like the M-Audio card covers your pre/power needs.

Of course...the Marshall has a dedicated power supply, so you won't need to worry about the phantom power...just turn it off when using the dedicated power supply.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I will be using the mic for Male vocals. I will be recording the type of music that streams on this web site www.arjona.com I hope I can find a store that has these mics out so I can try them. The guitar center next to my house never has any mics out. In case I dont find any store that has these mics out. Which one do you think will suit me better for the type of music in the www.arjona.com page?

As Miroslav mentioned you really have to try them to see if they are what you want, if at all possible. Check the specs too. The Marshall looks to be a very slight amount flatter above 2500 Hz but you can't bank on the sharts. It boils down to the sound you want.

The Shure is going to cost quite a bit more.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I am not familiar with the KSM, but I do have a V69 Mogami, which is a nice sounding tube mic, though pretty colored, but is sounds big.

It looks very expensive with it's gold plated grill.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I have the V69, too, and I really like how it sounds. It sits in the mix very nicely. Better than that, so far every one of my clients loves how they sound on it. No mic is for everybody, but this is a good one to put in the closet.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Are you using this for live applications?

You might want to try and find a store that allows you to take both mics back home to try them out and then return one of them, if that's possible. I've been offered this by several stores in the past, so it's not an unusual thing to do.

I've never used either mic, although I've heard good things about both, so it really comes down to which one is best for your particular applications.

Originally posted by Mariano P:

Hey everyone! I am looking to buy a new mic. I am looking for something that has warm, clear, smooth sound. I've read that the MXL V69 and SHure KSM27 are the best in their price range. The only thing that is throwing me off is that the MXL V69 requires a preamp (i've read on reviews), and the Shure KSM27 requires phantom power. I dont know what panthom power and preamp really is. I have a behringer 1604 A with phantom power connected to my sound card which is an m-audio mobile pre. I was wondering if this would be enough to power up these mics? Thank you guys for taking the time to read this. Let me know if you think there are other mics that are better than the ones I mentioned (in the same price range). Once again thank you guys!

Buy the Shure. It's what you want.
Dooby Dooby Doo

Yeah, I'm a big believer in the KSM series. Still undecided about the Marshalls. But they'll both need phantom power AND a preamp.

And don't put too much stock in the specs. They can be easily misleading and have little to actually do with how it sounds. Use your ear (or one you trust) to decide.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Yeah, I'm a big believer in the KSM series. Still undecided about the Marshalls. But they'll both need phantom power AND a preamp.

And don't put too much stock in the specs. They can be easily misleading and have little to actually do with how it sounds. Use your ear (or one you trust) to decide.

No, the V69 is a tube mic so it doesn't need phantom, it has it's own power supply.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Yep, you're right. Didn't see it was a tube mic.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I'd get the KSM 27 - it's designed specifically for vocal use. Also, just plug into the preamps on the Mobile Pre and use its phantom power. I would not use the Behringer mixer for anything except monitoring for playback.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived