Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Guitar Recordings...

Small amp users that come to mind:

Jimmy Page used a Supro for the first couple of Zep albums

ZZ Top- Billy Gibbons is a Fender Tweed Deluxe fan

Neil Young- another Tweed deluxe fan

Clapton's Layla Album- Fender Champs were used by him and Duane Allman

I personally like Jeff Beck's sounds but I think he uses a 50 watt Marshall most of the time.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

• 1 month later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of great advice here. I'm going to take an afternoon and try a bunch of small tube amps and see if anything stands out. Thinking pretty hard about the Reverend Goblin too.

So, once we have the guitar, the amp and the mic placement set...then what? We're using a Great River mic pre and the only decent compressor I have is the RNC.

What do you think The Edge went through on the new U2 album? Some of those guitars sound great. What I mean is, after the guitar, amp and mic...what's next in the chain.

Originally posted by Botch.:

Lance, we got lucky and just hired a soundman who has a college degree in sound reinforcement. One thing I've noticed during our soundchecks is he'll jump up on stage and move the guitar amp mic (-57) an inch to one side or the other, then run back to the mixer to hear it. There apparently is a lot of difference just moving the speaker mic a very small amount (and this is for a 2-bit bar gig!) You might want to experiment a bit with this.

This is about the interaction of the instrument and the room. It has to do with reflections. It's an EXTREMELY significant thing! It's true of drums and pianos and voices every bit as much. Finding the exact place in the room, vertically as well as horizontally, and the exact angle and distance to reflective surfaces will do WONDERS for your recordings!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

If you want to hear some awesome fat overdrive that never gets thin & fizzie have a listen to the guitar sounds on Aussie band 'Powderfinger' second album 'Double Allergic'. :thu:
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

Archived