Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New issue of EQ is superb

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read Dan Daley's otherwise excellent article on Brian Wilson's SMiLE sessions. Had to quote this error, in the first paragraph no less!:

...John Lennon and Paul McCartney won for Best Song with "Michelle", and the Boston Red Sox lost the World Series to the St. Louis Cardinals (some things will never change).

heeheeheeheeheee :D:P

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I was not too impresed with SMiLE...it was rather anti-climactic...almost trite...and rather boring.

I don't see the "masterpiece"...

...it would have been better if he never recorded it, and just left it all up to imagination and speculation.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

If somebody knows, to educate me, what is all this buzz about recording "smile"... I have all these tracks from the beach boys, and I even have a collection I bought a long time ago called smile.. In other words, I don't see any new material here that was never released... The tunes are no different than the tunes in this particular re-recorded collection... So, what is all the excitement about, if he recorded all this already... Honestly, I like the original version of "surf's up", "heroes and villains" better than this re-recorded version... Any info appreciated, thanks... And yes, this was a nice issue of EQ... :)

<>

Well, Mitch is too modest to come in here and say "Hey! You should be thanking me!" so I'll say it instead. This was the issue when I was slammed by the hurricanes, and he managed to pull it together in a nothing short of miraculous manner, of course with a lotta help from the Usual Suspects. All I was able to do for the issue was Punch-In, the piece on Frequency Space Editing, and a couple of reviews.

Hmmmm...better not say too much more, or they might think they're better off without me...!!

EQ huh? What's the difference in that and Electronic Musician mag? My MIX subscription has run out and I need to renew it. If I get all three, is that redundant?

I took Keyboard for over 100 years, but finally got tired of it. After awhile you don't care anymore about new keyboards and just want to focus on the ones you've got. At least that's how I felt about it.

Where's the cheapest place I can get a year's subscription to EQ?

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

https://www.websfs.com/900/subs/subEQpd.asp

I think each of the three magazines you mentioned has a different readership; and while there is some "crossover" on the readership, each appeals to a different segment of the musical / engineering marketplace. Mix has always been a bit more "huge commercial studio" oriented publication, while EQ has a bit more "electronic musician" oriented approach... and EQ has more of a Project Studio ( ;) ) oriented approach - certianly "pro", but more relevant to a wider range of recording professionals and musicians IMO than MIX is.

Of course, I am a bit biased, but I think EQ is one of the best publications out there. :) And I thought that even before I started moderating their Project Studio forum and before I started writing for them. :)

SOS (Sound On Sound), a British publication, is also quite good, but it's pretty expensive here in the USA. On the other end of the spectrum, TapeOp has a charming, slightly quirky DIY vibe, and is also an excellent magazine - and it's free. www.tapeop.com

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

After awhile you don't care anymore about new keyboards and just want to focus on the ones you've got. At least that's how I felt about it.

Quite ironic that Gas is the first to become immune to G.A.S. :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

EQ huh? What's the difference in that and Electronic Musician mag? ...

I've considered letting my Electronic Musician subscription drop. While the title would suggest a perfect magazine for me, the content is a bit lacking. (JMHO) Two page product reviews that don't tell me anything and articles that I quickly forget.

Maybe I need to try EQ again.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

<>

Our goal is two-page product reviews that tell you everything you DO want to know :)

As a sneak preview...I'm reviewing Acid 5 for the January issue. I figure by this time, y'all probably know what Acid is (and if you don't there are plenty of places on the web that will tell you), so the review is basically about what I consider the Top 10 update features. I hope that will accomplish the intended goal of the review -- to let you know if you should upgrade or not. There's other info in there as well, of course, but I'm probably even going to drop the sidebar with all the specs and everything.

We are in a sort of experimental mode right now where we want to rethink what will provide the best service to the reader. Magazines have followed the same kind of format/content for years and we want to go beyond that. Your feedback in forums such as this is INVALUABLE. We know we can't please all the people all the time, but it's kinda fun to try .

We also have a new editor (!) who works out of the main office (both Mitch and I work remotely). I think this will help improve the look of the magazine as he can work more directly with the art director.

So yeah, things are starting to really percolate...

Originally posted by Rabid:

I've considered letting my Electronic Musician subscription drop. While the title would suggest a perfect magazine for me, the content is a bit lacking.

I felt the same way. I used to really enjoy EM. I liked it so much that I dropped my Keyboard subscription, which I'd had for ten years.

I eventually just let EM run out, and now I don't have any music mags. Honestly, I don't miss them at all. I need to do more with the gear I have, and focus less on the new stuff.

It's all software anymore, and I'm not into that stuff anyway...

But I do occasionally pick up EQ at the grocery store, and it is pretty cool to see some of my friends from the forums doing reviews. It makes me feel like I'm.....somebody!

Me:"Hey! That's Phil O'Keefe! I know that guy!"

Cashier:"Yeah, okay....paper or plastic?"

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Two page product reviews that don't tell me anything and articles that I quickly forget.
Thats funny. Of the 3 mags: Mix, EQ and EM, I find EMs reviews to be the most honest. Mix never gets personal in their reviews, its just the raw data and makes for a dry read. EQ rarely gives a bad review. (I`m not trying to start another feud here. Just my observation.) I truly find EM to be the most honest in its approach and there scale system is very helpful.

I must say, I`ve been subscribing to these mags for almost 14 years and EM has always been the most informative with EQ a close second. Mix is read purely for enjoyment. Its nice to know how the big guys do it.

In the end, my desert island mag would be EM, then EQ, then SOS, then Mix.

Archived