Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Navarro in EQ Mag

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by stevepow: [b]If I was going to be very non-PC, I'd say this sounds like a fucking' chic thread - what the hell are you guys thinkin' about? Who gives a shit what Dave does in a photo shoot? Let me fix that - not a chic thread at all - a bimbo thread. There! This message has been edited by stevepow on 08-15-2001 at 11:45 PM [/b][/quote] Okay...okay....so I was having a bad hair day when I saw Dave in that picture [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] I don't mind being called *chic* at all, but bimbo!!!...now, where's my midol? Mark

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]Now wait a minute - are the people complaining about the Navarro spread the same ones who think the Sennheiser ad (with the half-naked woman) is really cool?[/b][/quote] hahaha....well check out the Orange amp post on the guitar forum, provides a link to their site. Awesome babe lying on a bed with an Orange combo placed strategically on the floor next to the bed. Quite frankly, I'd rather see a lady gracing the advert than another hardleg....just my druthers....some may like the other...whatever.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]hahaha....well check out the Orange amp post on the guitar forum, provides a link to their site. Awesome babe lying on a bed with an Orange combo placed strategically on the floor next to the bed[/quote] Wow! You weren't kidding. I'm thinking about shopping for an Orange amp now, and I don't even play guitar! Funny how some people get nervous when blantant sex appeal is used in Music magazines. I admit, I thought twice about the Navarro spread, and even offered the issue to a female co-worker here at work who's a big Chris Cornell fan and seems to like that whole dark-haired-with-a-goatee thing, thinking she might find it a nice addition to her bulletin board. But I've seen tons of letters to the editor regarding the Sennheiser and EMTEC ads, too. In fact, I also saw a recent ad for the upcoming DJ Expo, with an inset picture of a naked girl holding a strategically placed piece of vinyl. So do these kinds of images have no place in music gear magazines? Or are we all just not used to it? We're obviously all very comfortable drooling over a nice rack (of gear, that is), is the whole "sex sells" approach just too blatant?

well my vote is in for MORE blatent sex ads in gear mags. they do it in car mags, guitar mags USED to be filled with them. has society become so sexually repressed now? now wonder women are generally complaining they arent having orgasms on whatever womens talk shows.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b] is the whole "sex sells" approach just too blatant?[/b][/quote] I don't think it's too blatant, actually I think it's LOST its impact. I'm not "shocked" when I see a half-naked model in an ad. I'm also not "drawn in" like a drooling dog. In fact, I've seen so many that I hardly even notice the ads anymore. Like Craig said... the point of a photo like that is to get your attention. It's got to [b]STAND OUT[/b] from the crowd. I think the "sex sells" mentality has lost that ability. I saw that Orange Amp ad in a magazine and just flipped right by it. I saw the woman, but until someone brought it up in the guitar forum I had no idea what the ad was selling! How effective is that?!

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

I'm a guitar player ,and for many years I was studied and playing guitar , then I start to get more and more involved in studio stuff , with the time I own my first home studio , and now (some years later) I own a beautifull big project studio ,.Now looking back, I realize that ,as a guitar player, a big part of my brain (say 90 or 95 percent )didn't work . Navarro is just a rock guitar player , he can go and seatdown in such a console because his ego works as an hi pass in 20k ,filtering reality. just my rock star vision .

Arent rock Stars like him designed to piss you off? Total 'MTV babe' girlfriends (several queing up) Cool vintage car Oriental tatoos Rippling chest muscles despite no exersize and sleeping in till 4pm Amazing house with view Massive guitar collection Own pro home studio Talent Good looks Great tan Gotee beard Wears a wallet chain (and it looks cool) Your own girlfriend thinks he's 'kinda cute' ??? Aint it so? [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Jules In london right now there is a Tommy Lee & Pammy 'copy couple' around on the sceen. Both are close but 'dud' copies of the origional people... V funny! This message has been edited by Julian standen on 08-19-2001 at 08:32 AM

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

There is a bunch of "profession" where anybody can goes and say "look mom , I'm a ......(insert subject ) ,knowing nothing about a thing For example , if I pretend to participate in the next olympic games surely I will be kick off , or if I practice a brain surgery in a hospital ,I maybe will pass the rest of my life in a jail . But instead , I can go tomorrow and say "Mom , look , I am an actor ,( or a singer , or a prophet ,or a politician by the way ) and nobody gonna tell me that I'm a fake . Think about it

• 2 years later...
I don't think sexual ads belong in many places really but.. I don't really care. I love Dave's solo work - I had "one hot minute" when he was with RHCP but I don't remember much... As far as the instructional guitar video - he didn't really wanna do it, he just wanted to mock those kind of videos (read about this in interviews...) And as far as the chorus in Rexall "there is love between your thighs" - whats the matter here? Maybe this person he wrote about was cold and only cared about sex. I wish people would try to interpret lyrics in more than one way. But anyway, Dave is an inspiration for me.

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]I wonder what happend to Eric Avery and Stephen Perkins? Perkins was such a great drummer... [/b][/quote]Perkins had a great band called Banyan post Janes that was really cool. bordering on freejazz with big big backbeats, they would have an artist painting in real time on the stage with them. really great live show, but haven't seen/heard from them in 3-4 years.

Archived