Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Keyboard Sound - 'A.Bass=Cym' - Cymbal ???? - CK88 and others

Jaspla

Yamaha includes on many boards under Guitar/Bass the sound option   'A.Bass=Cym'.

I have owned or played P-125, P121 and CK88 they all have this sound option.

On my present board (the CK88), which allows for more than one layer, as I configure side-by-side the A.Bass-Cym, along with Acoustic Bass, and turn them on and off individually, the sounds appear to be almost the same, and I can only detect a very soft 'chink, chink' being heard with the Bass-Cymbal option is turned on.

..the result is similar when playing thru on-board speakers, or connecting to a keyboard amp.

I've owned Rolands, Privias, Kurzweils and with any of these other boards with their Bass/Cymbal option, you can clearly hear the  cymbal ride when selected.

Is there a 'secret' to turning up the Cym level for Yamaha boards, and in particular for the CK88 that has some sound editing options ??

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.  I have a CK88 I purchased a few weeks ago and, no matter how much I EQ and mess with it, the ride cymbal is barely audible on the A. Bass +cymbal patch. Like you, I have a P121 and the ride cymbal is much more prominent on the equivalent patch.   Perhaps it can be corrected in a future update (?). 

Another item of possible interest is that I currently have three Yamaha boards with GHS action, a P121, MX88 and now a CK88.  For me, the action on all three is very different with the P121 being best for piano and the MX88 being best for synth /organ. Unless it breaks in over time, IMO the CK88's action lags the other two in both categories.  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)