Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Sweetwater Opt Out Possible Scam?

Lindaru

I have not received any postal mailings from Sweetwater in years, but today I got an offer from them and Synchrony Bank saying I was approved for a credit card.

I hate these kinds of mailings.  They open you up to identity theft.

There was a statement that I could call this 888 number to opt out of all future mailings.

Once I was connected to the robo menu, it asked me to provide my Social Security number, something I have never provided to Sweetwater in the first place.

This was also tied to Synchrony Bank, somewhere else I  have never done business with.

I hung up without providing it.

Does this sound like a scam to you?  Faked for phishing?

Sounds not so good.  I'm never, ever, interested in any new "credit card" offer and haven't ever had anything that asked for anything like an ssn.

My only annoyance with Sweetwater is that they call me after any minor purchase I make :)   I don't mind it, but then I usually don't pick up the phone either!   My rep has gotten me some good deals so it's all good.

• Like 1

Synchrony is the issuer for the Sweetwater credit card, so that’s not fishy. But it’s weird to see a mailing about it and to get prompted to specify your SSN.

Our identities and SSNs are all out there now anyway due to the National Public Data hack. 😡

Freeze your credit, folks. 

• Like 2
I make software noises.

Synchrony is the bank behind a lot of 3rd party credit cards.   My buddy just went thought a nightmare of a mess straightening out a mess with them.   He has a Guitar Center credit card which is Synchrony and someone went online and bought thousands of dollars worth of gear.   That alone should of trigger some kind of alerts they then bought some more gear.   Then my buddy was alerted and told them it wasn't him and then said they agree and investigating.   The person tried again to buy more gear and they finally decline the sale.   Weird why wasn't the card canceled after the first incident.    My buddy had to call GC and Synchrony MANY times and they kept telling him they know it isn't him, but wouldn't send a email stating that.    They kept saying once they do their full investigation then he will get document say he is not responsible only thing they did was issue him a new GC card.    I don't how long it took to clear up because everytime anyone mentioned it he was get so stressed out.   

• Sad 1

Scam or poorly-conceived system, I would hang up and not give my social just as you did.

An institution with which you have no relationship asking for your social in order to opt out of junk mail is pretty inappropriate. 

• Like 1

If a robo menu is asking you for an SSN, hang up.

Look up synchrony bank and call direct, or reach out to your sweetwater rep to see what the process is for the card.  I'd never enter even part of my SSN on an automated menu.

On an Aside - I work in IT and we get hit daily with many phishing attempts.  Some hilariously obvious and rife with red flags.  others, not so easy to tell.  If it doesn't pass the smell test, it's best to assume it's phishy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnchop said:

Freeze your credit, folks. 

Getting ready to that with all three, but dang . . . the documentation required is even more extensive than when I applied for a passport.

Will do it, but I am going to have to chase some things down.

Thank you!

I received the same letter and credit card offer. If you look on the back, the card has an annual percentage rate of 34.99%. And there are more fees and limitations and ways they can ding you for more money indefinitely. It's usurious. You would be a fool to use this credit card when there are so many other options out there. This gives Sweetwater a bad name in my book. They should disassociate themselves from this offer. 

And asking for your SSN in order to opt out of future mailings is beyond the pale. NOT OK. 

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Anyone who asks for your SSN online or by phone should be seen as a division of SatanCo. Legitimate businesses simply don't do that. You can always say yes in another way LATER if they turn out to be on the up-&-up. 

• Like 1

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

I do love the candies they include with your orders.

It's a genius marketing touch that builds loyalty and brand identity and enjoyment of purchasing more gear from them and it's very inexpensive for the company. But you can also buy those candies in gross amounts for far less than that new keyboard or speaker you just ordered. 😁

• Like 1
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.