Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Man Arrested for Scamming $10,000,000 from Streaming Services by Creating Fake Bands and Streaming with Bots

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Yes, actual humans in action. No false identities, no machines or software replicating human behavior x 100,000.  All acts have friends and family who support them whether they love the music or not.  

Pushback for the sake of conversation:

No machines?? No software??

What are you listening on? What was it recorded on? What were the instruments?? How was it sent to the service? What is it being delivered by? 

The old quote is "technology is anything invented after we were born." In this case, the gripe is not machines, software, automation, or anything of the sort. It's the NEWNESS of the particular machine/software/automation in question.

Rebuttals?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

1 minute ago, MathOfInsects said:

Rebuttals?

It's a question of degree. You won't get thrown in jail because you're a pedestrian who crosses the street when the light is against you. You will get thrown in jail if you're driving a car, run a red light, and kill someone.

It's also a question of technologies that enable crime. Yes, you could sit there and click on your video 100,000 times. But that would be so tedious as to discourage people doing it. 

8 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

In this case, the gripe is not machines, software, automation, or anything of the sort. It's the NEWNESS of the particular machine/software/automation in question.

The problem is rarely the technology. My gripe is the people who abuse it. What Smith did was abuse. Clicking a couple times to support a friend could hardly be called abuse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anderton said:

It's also a question of technologies that enable crime. Yes, you could sit there and click on your video 100,000 times. But that would be so tedious as to discourage people doing it.

In 1984, a certain “tv preacher” decided to get into politics, set himself up with a “toll free number” to call in and pledge support. Hmmm… thought my teenage self, toll free is only for me, but each call cost him 5cents. So why not just call and hang up a bunch of times, which I got bored of really quickly(Anderton is correct) BUT what if I hook up a modem to my fruity IIc and write a quick script to call and hang up and re call, over and over and over, left it on for a few days…

stealing?

We are funny creatures…

image.jpeg.511343b8a3fab5005b222eafdc39c188.jpeg

everyone is just trying to make a buck, so unless you are creating capital, you're “taking” someone else’s

be kind, rewind

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

51 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

The old quote is "technology is anything invented after we were born." In this case, the gripe is not machines, software, automation, or anything of the sort. It's the NEWNESS of the particular machine/software/automation in question

Perhaps more of a push forwards than back… when technical convenience becomes a reliance we have a technical difficulty.

Our internal operating systems cant be updated as quickly as the technical advances are hoisted upon us. A new world order indeed…I was born right at the center of “place and time” for the personal computer “revolution”. So quaint… 

The habits I formed and muscle memory from childhood are nearly useless nowadays, sure each generation may feel this “movement” passed them, but its now happening multiple times in our own lifespan… whens the next IPO?

Good luck with that, learning to balance this new fangled “social” landscape is a challenge… there will be blood, every revolution has it own type! Its so nice not to need any of this tech to make and feel and share MUSIC! Not ready to go back to the caves but come on people!

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

Pushback for the sake of conversation:

No machines?? No software??

What are you listening on? What was it recorded on? What were the instruments?? How was it sent to the service? What is it being delivered by? 

The old quote is "technology is anything invented after we were born." In this case, the gripe is not machines, software, automation, or anything of the sort. It's the NEWNESS of the particular machine/software/automation in question.

Rebuttals?

We have a public library down the street.

I decided to get a library card - even though the whole thing is just another BS construct devised by humans.

My neighbor tells me he hates libraries, "why should I pay for other people's media?".  I tell him to bugger off, but that's a topic for another day.

I use my library card to take out books, ebooks, physical CDs and DVDs, streamed audio and video).

I have a window of time to consume my media before it has to go back.  

I get busy and sometimes forget to bring stuff back.  The e-stuff is easier, they just turn off my use at the designated time.  

Sometimes I am tempted to break the DRM (more human BS) but that's dumb.  Life is short and I can't take it with me.  Besides it's a library for Pete's sake, I can just take it out again whenever I want)

They fine me for physical copies that aren't returned as a penalty. 

I think about it...

Way #1. Bring it back, pay my fine and get on with my life.  

Way #2. Never bring it back and ignore the library's emails and snail mails telling me I owe money.  

Number 2 is tempting.  It doesn't matter if I bring it back or not.   I could keep the copies for free and not pay.  I could return the copies in the night deposit and not pay.   

I think about it.

I know if I do not pay I'll lose my library privileges (*&^#$ humans).   They won't let me take out any more stuff and I want to.  

Oh well, even though it's a construct devised by humans I go with Way #1 and play the game as it was designed.  

Actions consequences and all that.  

In the end I feel like just another cog in the wheel, a player in the matrix, a brick in the wall taking the path of least resistance to avoid chaos because chaos would be worse than the constructs we've made.   Wouldn't it?  😶

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, Thethirdapple said:

thought my teenage self, toll free is only for me, but each call cost him 5cents.

Once I got so sick of junk mail from a particular company (can't remember which one) I wrote several times and said please take me off your mailing list. They didn't. Then I noticed that the junk mail included a "postage will be paid by addressee" envelope. Hmmm...

So I got a brick, put it in a cardboard box, wrapped it, and attached the envelope to the outside. That finally stopped them. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

Once I got so sick of junk mail from a particular company (can't remember which one) I wrote several times and said please take me off your mailing list. They didn't. Then I noticed that the junk mail included a "postage will be paid by addressee" envelope. Hmmm...

So I got a brick, put it in a cardboard box, wrapped it, and attached the envelope to the outside. That finally stopped them. 

Columbus House sold 8 CDs for a penny.  But it’s like lessons were priceless.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 1:26 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

I use my library card to take out books, ebooks, physical CDs and DVDs, streamed audio and video).

As do I. The library is a great resource. And IMO it's worthy of my tax money. Even today, with the Internet at our fingertips, there is a use for those who don't want to buy a book, or those who can't afford to.

On 9/14/2024 at 1:26 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

They fine me for physical copies that aren't returned as a penalty.

Our library no longer charges a fine for bringing it back late. That makes me more inclined to bring it back on time. 

On 9/14/2024 at 2:51 PM, Anderton said:

That's very tempting. ;)

But I just toss them in the 'to be shredded' bin, and I use the paper shreds as mulch in my yard. The Neem tree likes to have soil more moist than my Florida Sugar Sand, so when they send me junk mail, my Neem tree gets happy.

Notes ♫

• Haha 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

15 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Our library no longer charges a fine for bringing it back late. That makes me more inclined to bring it back on time. 

🤯 they seem to have wooed you with reverse psychology!  I fear this would make my punctuality even worse!   

14 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

🤯 they seem to have wooed you with reverse psychology!  I fear this would make my punctuality even worse!   

They relied on my self-responsibility. 

I rarely return something late. But if I don't pay attention and miss the return date, paying the charge justifies it, in a way. The library always needs money and I rationalize that I'm helping to support the library.

But without that, I make doubly sure to return things I borrow on time.

• Haha 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

22 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

They relied on my self-responsibility. 

I rarely return something late. But if I don't pay attention and miss the return date, paying the charge justifies it, in a way. The library always needs money and I rationalize that I'm helping to support the library.

But without that, I make doubly sure to return things I borrow on time.

👍 it’s financially prudent too!