Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Death of Finale: Long live Dorico?

cedar

I was reluctantly going to buy Dorico, but when I got this message from Finale, I thought I could just stay with Finale;  "Finale authorization will remain available indefinitely"

Updates
8/27/2024 @ 5:30 PM ET:
Clarifications on the initial announcement

Finale authorization will remain available indefinitely: Please note that future OS changes can still impact your ability to use Finale on new devices.
    Finale v27 to be included with Dorico Pro Crossgrades: We are currently working on a solution for all customers who have purchased or intend to purchase a Dorico Pro crossgrade to be able to download Finale v27. This will ensure that you can export your Finale files using MusicXML 4.0, the most robust version of MusicXML available. Thank you for your patience, we will provide more information soon.

8/27/2024 @ 9:00 AM ET:
Clarifications on the initial announcement

Finale development has ended, but the Finale installer for any previously purchased version can still be downloaded from your eStore account. If your computer crashes or you need to install Finale on a new device, you’re not left without options.
    We are committed to keeping the authorization process functional for a year. We’ve heard your concerns and are actively exploring ways to extend flexibility in the weeks ahead.
    We understand that learning Dorico will be a steep learning curve, as it is with any complex notation or professional software. Both our team and Steinberg have developed extensive onboarding videos to guide you through the transition.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This development (and thread here) finally reminded me that I had yet to commit to a leap, having been on Sibelius 7 before it went into subscription mode. I have dabbled with MuseScore but not altogether convinced. Today, I had to quickly prepare a choir chart, so I downloaded Dorico SE and after a few minutes of initial struggling, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick I picked up the interface and the decent-looking results without the constant tweaking I found myself having to do in Sibelius. In short, I was convinced to take advantage of my Sib 7 licence to take advantage of the crossgrade to Dorico Pro.

• Like 1

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

I’m glad I’m a Sibelius user and don’t have to deal with this. I did contemplate moving to Dorico a couple of years back, but in the end reverted to Sibelius cos I know my way round in it so well. When my subscription renewal came up this year I opted to down-grade to Artist from Ultimate at about half the cost. There’s a few things missing, but I’m coping OK. My first thought though, was to upgrade back to Ultimate. But I couldn’t find any way to do this, short of paying for another full subscription. I tried emailing Avid but never heard anything back.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

16 hours ago, John Tweed said:

I’m glad I’m a Sibelius user and don’t have to deal with this. I did contemplate moving to Dorico a couple of years back, but in the end reverted to Sibelius cos I know my way round in it so well. When my subscription renewal came up this year I opted to down-grade to Artist from Ultimate at about half the cost. There’s a few things missing, but I’m coping OK. My first thought though, was to upgrade back to Ultimate. But I couldn’t find any way to do this, short of paying for another full subscription. I tried emailing Avid but never heard anything back.

I think posting on the official Avid Sibelius forum is the best way to get help - several power users and occasionally Avid employees participate here. I read it every day, just to understand tips, power user usage, problem solving , how-to's, etc. In particular they can help you with getting Sibelius upgrades.

If you post there it is most helpful to include your:

OS and version number (e.g. Windows 11, macOS Sonoma 14.5)

Sibelius version (w.g. e.g. Sibelius Ultimate 2024.6)

(When you create an account to post in the forum, you can optionally create a signature that includes all of the above).

16 minutes ago, jarrell said:

I think posting on the official Avid Sibelius forum is the best way to get help - several power users and occasionally Avid employees participate here. I read it every day, just to understand tips, power user usage, problem solving , how-to's, etc. In particular they can help you with getting Sibelius upgrades.

If you post there it is most helpful to include your:

OS and version number (e.g. Windows 11, macOS Sonoma 14.5)

Sibelius version (w.g. e.g. Sibelius Ultimate 2024.6)

(When you create an account to post in the forum, you can optionally create a signature that includes all of the above).

There’s also a very active Facebook brook that often reveals the answer to a question.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560