Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how do you get that mid 90's bass tone?

I was listening to dishwalla last week and couldn't help but be moved by the bass track on counting blue cars. I was hoping someone might be able to let me in on the gear used such as mics compression and pre's. When i eq bass tracks i can get a really nice low and middle but my upper tone seems to still be peaky and when i compress the signal anymore you can start to hear the unit breathe... it pisses me off cause i know what i want but can't seem to dial it in on my gear so i'd like a quality suggestion on gear to pick up, I have a $6K budget, and just added a 2" 24 reel to reel so It would mean alot to to truly capture that perfect balanced bass sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks ~ Mark

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Patch in a DI of the Bass (I am assuming guitar)... I have been bitten by the musician bringing in a crappy amp. But, I have some clean DI'd stuff. I haven't dualed a mic'd amp with a DI, yet. If you have a good amp, this would work great. To get tone on the DI'd signal on a DAW, make a stereo copy of the track and apply some really warm room affects to it. You will have to play with the delays. One of my favorites in Cool Edit is a 2.5 second delay with a 75 millisecond attack at nearly 40% early reflection and about 20% wet. (This is in the "Full Reverb" section). I layer that track with the original until it sounds nice and fat. To here a sample, my site is [url=http://www.AudioMaverick.com]www.AudioMaverick.com[/url] . Click the "Samples" link and check out the "Jimi Mac Sheen" tracks. They are 1 minute cuts in MP3 format, but not through MP3.COM.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I've been able to capture a wide variety of FANTASTIC bass sounds using the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. At first, I was recording one track direct and one track mic'd... I've since done away with the mic/amp completely, and just use the DI. This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 08-11-2001 at 10:38 AM

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

ScottFromMA, did you notice the Bass Driver DI distorting if the bass string is plucked too hard - even with drive all the way down? I tried 2 different units and they both did this - my solution is to lower the signal going into the Sans Amp. I love the sound I just hate that. It may be just my bass though. Martin

Thnaks for your possitive and creative input!!! I tried tracking Bass ( Guitar ) through a DI and micing them blending but i always ended up cutting the di track out cause it was so nasty I used a countryman DI box @ the time i bought them they were supposed to be great but I can't see how cause all they do is this early ibanez tube screamer fuzz and hiss when the signal gets loud enough to track. Should i get a tube DI? how much ios a sansamp? which model? have you had a chance to hear avalon od D.W. fearn D.I.'s? Not to be an idiot but I'm new to the ( DAW ) what does that stand for? I'm sure i know it's just not coming to me. I have a band coming in the studio on the 13th who has a very unique sound but a strong influence of industrial rock in the rythme section while the lead is more finger eleven and the vocals hang somewhere in the relme of crash test dummies pumped up on skid row after coming down from a bad trip - lol I'd like to really get a warm tonal bass sound something thick and phat like dishwalla but make it my own. I have about $2k to spend on the bass equipment. the bass rig i have set up in the studio is an SWR studio 220 pre amp head running to a crown k2 split out to 2 ampeg cabs ( 8 x 10 ) and ( 2 x 15 ) the SWR has a D.I. out should i just use that? thanks~ Mark

Archived