Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My OCD won🤨

I broke a string on my G&L a couple weeks ago and since I don't use it much I just put a string I had laying around on it. The problem is I can't have mixed sets on my guitars, if I break a string I have to change the whole set, fortunately I don't break stings often. I finally got the point that I had to change the string. Drove 40 minutes to the music store for strings and changed them last night. Hope I don't have to use any machinery today🥱

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Jennifer S.

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I broke a string on my G&L a couple weeks ago and since I don't use it much I just put a string I had laying around on it. The problem is I can't have mixed sets on my guitars, if I break a string I have to change the whole set, fortunately I don't break stings often. I finally got the point that I had to change the string. Drove 40 minutes to the music store for strings and changed them last night.

I really, REALLY know how that is!

Which string was it? If it's the 1st/High E or another plain string, I can get by with just the single string change longer than if it's one of the wound strings- those REALLY stand out to me as being mismatched.

I also used to change all my guitar strings, between two or three guitars, electric and acoustic, every two weeks; I was so very stuck on that fresh new-string zing.

I'm embarrassed at just how long I'll let 'em go lately, however... !  :blush: :crazy: 

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Hope I don't have to use any machinery today🥱

I hope you had a good day without any troubles!

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

There are actually quite a few guitarist and bass players that don't like to change strings unless they have to. I change mine when I break one unless playing then I only change the one I broke. Funk bass players are famous for that.

• Like 4

I can't remember the last time that I broke a string, but I know it was over 10years ago.  I save the empty string package in each of my guitar cases and write the date they were put on, on the back.  It gives me the brand, string guages, tensions, etc., info.  I use the same guage Martin Soft Core strings on my acoustics and the same gauge DR Blues strings on my electrics.  When I play out (which is very rare these days LoL), I throw a new set of strings in the case (just in case).  If I did break a string, I change it, and then change the rest of the strings when I get home. I used to bring an extra guitar back in my gigging days (just in case of a string break) but never had to use it LoL!  😎

Ps. The guitars that get the most use, get the most string changes.  I know a set of strings will last me at least 3 months or more with daily use...

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

On 7/25/2024 at 6:37 PM, BadLife said:

There are actually quite a few guitarist and bass players that don't like to change strings unless they have to. I change mine when I break one unless playing then I only change the one I broke. Funk bass players are famous for that.

That is me. In fact, the last time I started to change strings I realized that I had forgotten how.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 7/25/2024 at 1:37 PM, surfergirl said:

I broke a string on my G&L a couple weeks ago and since I don't use it much I just put a string I had laying around on it. The problem is I can't have mixed sets on my guitars, if I break a string I have to change the whole set, fortunately I don't break stings often. 

Which string was it?

If it's the 1st/High E or another plain string, I can get by with just the single string change longer than if it's one of the wound strings- those REALLY stand out to me as being mismatched.

On 7/25/2024 at 1:37 PM, surfergirl said:

Drove 40 minutes to the music store for strings and changed them last night. Hope I don't have to use any machinery today🥱

How did your day go, following the long drive there and back and staying up changing strings? I hope you had a good day without any troubles!

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

4 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Which string was it?

If it's the 1st/High E or another plain string, I can get by with just the single string change longer than if it's one of the wound strings- those REALLY stand out to me as being mismatched.

How did your day go, following the long drive there and back and staying up changing strings? I hope you had a good day without any troubles!

It was the high E. 

I managed to not cut off any fingers with my ✂. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.