Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ribbon Mic Question

Paging Dr. Bryce...intuitively, it would seem to me that ribbon mics should be stored vertically, given the thin ribbon. True or false? I didn't see any info on this in the care and maintenance sections of the mic manuals.

I sadly do not own Royers or other ribbon microphones. But I've always heard that you store them vertically (upside down should be fine too) to minimize sagging of the ribbon.

• Like 1

I just heard from Rick Perrotta. Here's his reply:

Hi Jeff, Here is the answer for you. It is true for some ribbon microphones; however, this really applies mostly to older microphones such as the RCA 44 that has a very long ribbon and a very shallow corrugations to the ribbon. If those types of microphones are stored horizontally the ribbon can sag. If let in that state for any length of time, the sag become permanent and can lead to a scraping ribbon. This will require that the ribbon be replaced. Even some modern ribbon mics that use the older corrugation method can be affected by a sagging ribbon. I won't mention any names or brands here but its best to check with the individual manufacturer. All Royer microphones can be stored in any position. The reason for this is that Royer developed a proprietary corrugating method that produces a more "elastic" resilience to the corrugated ribbon. It was actually a component of our first patent. So, there you have it. I hope this helps. Rick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard both pieces of advice over the years...that it matters and that it does not.

I store my AEA mics vertically as they came in cases that facilitate that, but I store my Royer, Cloud and sE Ribbons in their boxes horizontally in drawers.

Editor - RECORDING Magazine

1 hour ago, Jeff Leites said:

I just heard from Rick Perrotta. Here's his reply:

Hi Jeff, Here is the answer for you. It is true for some ribbon microphones; however, this really applies mostly to older microphones such as the RCA 44 that has a very long ribbon and a very shallow corrugations to the ribbon. If those types of microphones are stored horizontally the ribbon can sag. If let in that state for any length of time, the sag become permanent and can lead to a scraping ribbon. This will require that the ribbon be replaced. Even some modern ribbon mics that use the older corrugation method can be affected by a sagging ribbon. I won't mention any names or brands here but its best to check with the individual manufacturer. All Royer microphones can be stored in any position. The reason for this is that Royer developed a proprietary corrugating method that produces a more "elastic" resilience to the corrugated ribbon. It was actually a component of our first patent. So, there you have it. I hope this helps. Rick

:yeahthat:.   

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Craig - I ran into Rick this morning walking his dogs.  We walk an elderly woman's dog who lives around the corner from him (look who I'm calling elderly 😕).  Anyway, I told him you had an R121 and he was very emphatic in saying you can store it in any position you like.